The Smiler - Train Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.

Do you like The Smiler Trains?

Yes
58%
No
15%
I'll wait until I see them in person before making a decision.
27%

Total votes: 434
TheSmiler1998

tyrex wrote:
mattallennet wrote: TheSmiler1998 probably means he would have claimed it was his own knowledge, and wouldn't have put the link. He wasn't knocking you as far as I could tell.
Ah ok, fair enough - sorry TheSmiler1998 - these things don't always read the same to everybody - so thanks for clarifying.
Don't worry mate I've made mistakes like that on here before two, sometimes I have to read posts several times to judge the angle they're coming from
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
dominicjeffrey

Either way, tight or loose, I'm not fussed but I would rather have a restraint that's too loose than too tight.
Vladimir Bobinski

tyrex wrote:
Jammydodger wrote: Just out of curiosity how does Saw's OSTR work?
Is it still ratchet based, but just silent? Or does it work differently?
No, they're locked by hydraulic cylinders (that look just like car shock absorbers without the springs). One either side of the seat, both independently secured to the OTSR, so if one fails the other still keeps it locked. When unlocked the cylinder's fluid can flow through a valve in and out of a reservoir and so the piston attached to the OTSR is free to move up and down. When locked, the valve is closed and the piston can't move, so preventing the OTSR from moving also (or closed in one direction meaning the OTSR can only close, not open).

See third paragraph below:
http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products ... ter-en-US/

The system has the advantage of being infinitely adjustable to the occupant size, compared to a ratchet system which only has set positions (which means the OTSR can be either a little too loose or too tight), with the disadvantage of being technically more complex.

B&M use these now on their wing coasters (like Swarm) and their workings are a bit more visible - you can see the tops of the cylinders and the connections to the OTSR at the top of the headrest, plus you can see the small hydraulic fluid reservoirs behind the seats (see pic below, black reservoir at very bottom, attached to red seat base support)

EDIT: A better image here showing the internal workings - note the gold cylinders in the middle-left of the photo, with the black reservoir (looks a bit like a black apple with screw cap on top) at their base.

http://rcdb.com/897.htm?p=13383
This may aid what you were saying.  Agreed, they make so much more sense than fixed ratcheted positions, I'm often trying get an extra notch on Air or Nemesis to feel snug.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/gk5i.jpg
DeanGaryCox

I always make my restraint as loose as possible, just in case of a breakdown on a lift hill so i don't start panicking... and then just pull it tighter just as the ride leaves the lift hill  8)
Image 2014
bluearmor64

you can have a better look at the trains on alton towers site under news section
they  look good with the smiler logo on the front  :D
SwEDEN

bluearmor64 wrote: you can have a better look at the trains on alton towers site under news section
May you provide us with a link?
Richardio123

SwEDEN wrote:
bluearmor64 wrote: you can have a better look at the trains on alton towers site under news section
May you provide us with a link?
I assume on here ? :)
http://press.altontowers.com/news-alton-towers-resort-unveils-new-body-and-mind-rollercoaster-11725
Signature Pending.. ;D