The Smiler - Train Discussion

Smile always. New for 2013.

Do you like The Smiler Trains?

Yes
58%
No
15%
I'll wait until I see them in person before making a decision.
27%

Total votes: 434
jamie.rivettcarnac

As long as there not like Gforce lap bars at Drayton Manor there really uncomfortable
C0RR3CTED1

Oh I see  :) it's just the thought of your whole upper body being able to move freely that bothers me haha, especially knowing the track layout  :shock:
Danny

I think it'd be fairly noticeable if these trains had huge, chunky Maurer like lap bars as seen on G Force and Rip Ride Rockit ;) If we do have lap bars, I'm guessing they'll be T bar as opposed to the full design as seen on Thirteen.
Benjsh

Lap bars only for a ride with 14/15 inversions would surprise me. There aren't many Multi Inverting coasters with only lap bars I can think of, off the top of my head.

Then again, it probably would add to the drama of it all and the whole story and marmalisation thing. Sometimes feeling "too" safe on a ride spoils it a bit. You need that feeling of uncertainty sometimes to add to the suspense.

I remember riding ABISMO in Madrid and feeling like I was going to fall out going upside down ever so slowly. needless to say I loved it and rode it about 9 more times that day.
Owen

If they turn out like th13teen t bar version I would like to have a small handle to hold like on verbolten at bush gardens Williamsburg

Ooooo just had an idea

What if the restraints are NOT yet attached because they have 4D effects on them? Like a nosle for air or water,or even 'belly pokers'????

(I didn't link my posts as they are both completely different points)

Edit by Boz: Stop double posting!
Last edited by Owen on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackcullen

Considering that Gerstlauer OTSRs only really hold you at the lap anyway a lap bar makes no difference it's doing the same job. Just give the seats a bit more depth and lap bars are fine.
JammyBand

Could they be floorless? The Worlds first floorless lap-bar coaster? Do you think the cars look positioned high enough above the 'fake track' that they have got them on? I personally would love this! :moj
Owen

I would hate it to be floorless
C0RR3CTED1

Thrillmad wrote: If they turn out like th13teen t bar version I would like to have a small handle to hold like on verbolten at bush gardens Williamsburg

Ooooo just had an idea

What if the restraints are NOT yet attached because they have 4D effects on them? Like a nosle for air or water,or even 'belly pokers'????

Belly pokers? how uncomfortable lol
SomeRandomDude

Surely lap bars would cause a lot of problems in the 'banging into eachothers heads' department. Especially the younger riders may not be able to stop their heads from being thrown about so will smack heads with people next to them. :?
Owen

C0RR3CTED1  wrote:
Thrillmad wrote: If they turn out like th13teen t bar version I would like to have a small handle to hold like on verbolten at bush gardens Williamsburg

Ooooo just had an idea

Not a big one a little tap so to not make you regurgitate your burger kitchen meal! Lol
JayJay90

Thrillmad wrote:
C0RR3CTED1  wrote:

Ooooo just had an idea

Not a big one a little tap so to not make you regurgitate your burger kitchen meal! Lol
oooooor maybe this is what "the tickler" will do and instead of pokers, they tickle you XD

really hoping AT show us the trains uncovered sometime soon :D
Rollercoasters4Life

SomeRandomDude wrote: Surely lap bars would cause a lot of problems in the 'banging into eachothers heads' department. Especially the younger riders may not be able to stop their heads from being thrown about so will smack heads with people next to them. :?
Watch this, it gives you a good idea.

Your heads will move like it does with OTSR but instead of hitting the restraints it doesn't, it just goes side to side. Your mid section will hardly move and will be similar to a ride that has OTSR. Also the seats are wider enough apart to stop any head collisions with each other.

Good example of younger riders is the first child in the video he seems fine.
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hitch

at just posted a photo and it looks like were having otsr afterall!  8)
NutterFrutter

New image from AT Twitter:

Boz

damnit!, OTSRs  :(

And.... It looks exactly like Saw, just yellow instead
lozza88

are they OTSR?
JayJay90

they could still be big chunky lap bars *holds on to hope*
Liking the design of the trains though! and floorless is ruled out too...so what could be the different design! :/
Hitch

I still think the worlds first is the inversions and has nothing to do with anything else.
Hitch

NutterFrutter wrote: New image from AT Twitter:

Ive just noticed there is what looks like the corner of a massive smiler logo on the front of the train.