Favourite years?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Hari

I've been in 2002, 2007, 2009. 2011, May 2013 and September 2013 :) Which is loads for me because I live 2 hours away lol :)

Umm, I can't really remember 2002 because I was only 2 haha! But I remember meeting Barney and getting a balloon so I am certain it was 2002 :) I also remember my brother crying because I let go of MY balloon lul... Also remember the hippo in Toyland Tours and yelling 'Hey thats mummy!' hehe

2007 was pretty awesome because I went on corkscrew (my first upside-down coaster) and remember UG Land briefly. Also remember my cousin coming off of Submission rubbing his thighs haha ;)

2009 was cool other than the fact I was stung by a wasp because we went in August... Seeing SW6 being constructed and being one of the last to see UG Land before its re-theme was awesome and I saw Cloud Cuckoo Land, rode CATCF for the first time after the re-theme of TT and staying in the AT Hotel for the first time.

2011 wasn't the best because there was nothing new other than Th13teen which was a MAJOR let-down. Stayed in the AT Hotel again this time :) It was quite boring to be perfectly honest...

Lastly, 2013 I went twice because The Smiler was closed when I went in May which was a BIG BUMMER... In May, I stayed in the hotel with my best friend which was awesome and went on Sub Terra and ICE AGE for the 1st time. However, when we stopped off half-way through our 2 hour journey I realised that we had left my contact lenses at home so we went to Leicster and went to a VisionExpress and bought some hehe :) In September, I went back just for 1 day which was to ride The Smiler with fast pass and it was amazing! Waited 7 minutes for a 4 minute ride! Best ride in the world! Also on this day we did all of the other big rides and left :)

Overall, (Sorry for this post being so long and if you have skipped most of it I'm ok with it lol) my all time favourite visit overall was 2007 because of riding Corkscrew and being in UG Land and just being a kid. Being only 7, I was probably annoying everyone else like crazy but having fun lol :)

Apologies once again for this post being long :)
Hari
NR
hlack_bole

1996! WHAT a year that was. For me anyway.

Energizer, which I sadly didn't get to ride. I was only 8 or 9 at the time. I probably could have ridden it thinking about it now.
I did get to ride the boneshaker, but that was 5 years later and I could tell that it had some how changed, not so much the appearance. but the ride experience had obviously been tamed down.
You also had pre-Dual (cough, pre-abomination cough) Haunted House
and Blackhole etc etc etc.

but most of all, it was being a 9 year old kid, walking around AT for the first time, with the ORIGINAL katanya canyon music! the Indiana jones type one.
I came back to AT's last week, to find out they had replaced that with some new music. I was devastated! I know thing's have to change but that is criminal! It doesn't even sound as good. When I realized they also had changed the Entrance music, near the monorails. and even ON them if I recall correctly. that's when I realized the AT magic had gone. And it really has for me :(

Ok sorry to bring it to a sad unhappy post. I will just have to try and remember 1996 AT forever in my heart.
Sr88

I don't know why, but for some odd reason I love 2009. It just seems to stand out in my head! :D
KatangaZebra

1999-2009 R.I.P. Ug Land
Don't laugh but I actually cried when I found it corkscrew was being removed and even more when ug land became extinct. I was 7 when corkscrew died. And i was 8 when ug land was rethemed
Tom

Well, the first time I visited was 1994, but being only 1 at the time I don't remember any of it sadly! At least it means that I would of been in the vicinity of the Thunderlooper and the Beast etc, just a shame I have no recollection. :(

Then the next time I ever visited was the early 2000's, I think it must of been 2002 as I remember seeing the Air adverts in the build up to visiting. I've been at least once every year since. I think those first few visits in 2002, 3 and 4 were probably my favourite the Swans were still there, I got to ride the Black Hole a few times and the maps were much better.
NemesisRider

Probably summer 2013. Despite the queues, it was the first time I did The Smiler, Nemesis, Air and, of course, Oblivion.

It was busy, but nothing beats the thrill of being one of the first on a new ride.
Danny

The Smiler's opening day. It was pretty empty because everyone was at The Smiler, and as hotel guests we managed to start queuing early and be some of the first riders :)
Des-Cheers

For me was the back end of 1984,aged 9. There was a slight frost on the ground hardly anyone at the park and my Dad convinced me to go on the Corkscrew with him. That scared the crap out of me (bear in mind parks arent like they are now with coasters all over creation.)
He also tried to bribe into going onto the Black Hole, the bribe was in the form of a Star Wars toy (these were all over in the ride exit at the time). It was great, the park was deserted we had several goes on the pirate ship too. Returned to the towers a few times with the family after that, then after passing my driving test in 93' me and a car full of lads descended on the towers twice a year (April & October) in the off peak season for a number of years after, great times!!
C:\Users\User\Desktop\alton%20sign%201a.bmp