Fireworks 2013

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Jack

I was glad to see that they remember an old ride called Corkscrew tbh ;) I loved the ride themed fireworks, but I do think they could have done a bit more to suit the rides themselves, but meh, it was very enjoyable, this is probs the last Towers Fireworks I will go to for a couple of years (unless I can't make it to scarefest ;)) so I found it to be a nice ending to the day, wish I could have gone through all today to see it again (I say that, but I would have probably stayed at FV doing nemesis a load while the queue was dead)

I do also think that the way the tried to include the crowd for display created a buzz (even for the chav's stood smoking in front of me) and was a bit unexpected because of last years fireworks and that it was just light and pop songs. I do hope that they can remember this display and build off it for coming years and cannot wait to go again (not for the fireworks, but the dead queue for Nemmy while the fireworks are on ;)) and hope to get there for this event again :)
BHXDMT

A drastic improvement over 2012, and on a par with 2011. I loved the story to it, and I found myself hooked til the very end (last year I got bored half way through). A really good job by Towers, and very nice to 'relive' some of the Parks memories.
Michelle

I've not been at the AT fireworks since 2011 and I was seriously underwhelmed that year, this year? WOW.

The mixture of music used combined with the fantastic timing of the fireworks, and the running story throughout the show... Just wonderful! It was the most epic ending to a brilliant season, I was sad that I'd only seen it once! A little comical nod here and there shows that the people in charge have a sense of humour and really do enjoy what they do.

The park was much quieter than expected on the Sunday, it came as a huge surprise. however I'm certain that the buzz generated from the displays coupled with the fact is has been quiet on park this year will mean that next year is a roaring success.

The ents team deserve a massive round of applause for the hard work and effort this season, I hope that this year has proved they deserve a bigger budget to continue improving the park. 10/10 :-)
Lee

I have to agree, this years display was absolutely phenomenal. A brilliant story arc mixed with brilliant fireworks and music to create a truly engrossing and fantastical fireworks display.

Credit to the Resort Ents Team who've really stepped up over the last year. There was such a buzz on resort for the fireworks and it'll really pay off next year. You only have to look at Towers Facebook page to see the roaring success they've been this year.
Whoguru5

This years fireworks were awesome loved the story and the way they themed the music to the rides, one minor gripe is that the audio sounded a bit off from time to time  :| but a great way to cap off a 18th birthday filled with riding all the major coasters in the park  :D (first time on oblivion aswell).

Thanks to lewis97 For the signature.
stu1980

Well I'm having my say now.

I recall some people a while ago saying that the magic has gone from the park. Merlin and Alton Towers did a brill job at this years fireworks.

I stood in the middle of the lawns like most people and clapped and shouted like most people. This years display was 2nd to none. Fireworks that smiled and made love hearts. Loved the sorta story line too and loved the fact the balls of fire warmed me up and everyone went woo. I have to say that I also thought the way they said you make the magic was cool and it bought up a hot topic in my group of good old days and a look at what might be to come in near times at the park and I for one thought it was one of the best since the fireworks have been bought back. I will also go as far to say that its one of the best since the good old days under the other company. It left me wanting more and on a high and Merlin and The Towers pulled it off in style. one word Fantastic and the big question is the magic back - Your dam right it is :)
Last edited by stu1980 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
Luce

I was hugely impressed with the fireworks this year and incorporating the major rollercoasters and of course The Smiler into a story was a really great idea.  They are a credit to everyone involved in making the event happen and I hope the park continue along similar lines for future displays.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

AT posted a link to a survey about the 2013 Fireworks on their Twitter, earlier today.

Also, Kimberley pointed out the song list for the display in a comment on one of the Youtube videos, so here it is below for anyone else who's interested:

Freedom Fighters - Two Steps From Hell
Palladio - Escala
You Spin Me Round Like A Record - Dead Or Alive (Corkscrew)
Mystical Worlds - Future World Music (Thirteen)
Slam - Pendulum (Nemesis) 
Song 2 - Blur (Rita)
Holdin' On - Monsta (Oblivion)
Charlie Brown - Coldplay (Air)
Flight Of Imagination - Future World Music
Smile - Nat King Cole (The Smiler)
I Love It - Icona Pop (The Smiler)
Sweet Nothing - Calvin Harris - Qulinez Remix (The Smiler)
She Wolf - David Guetta (The Smiler)
I Think I Like It - Fake Blood (The Smiler)
Bonkers - Dizzee Rascal (The Smiler)
American Beauty - Thomas Newman
Into The Hall Of The Mountain King - Edvard Grieg (Finale)
Last edited by lewis97 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladyofthelake

This was the first time I'd visited Alton Towers for their fireworks event, and I have to say I was glad I went.

It's been a while since I've been impressed by a fireworks display, but these were easily one of the best displays I have seen. The storyline was well thought out, and the music was a nice mix which I thought suited each section of the display perfectly. Add to that the well timed fireworks, lasers, and other effects, and you have a simply amazing show. The atmosphere was fantastic, and I will definitely be aiming to go again next year.

Yesterday's visit was a great way to end a season which has seen me become part of a fab community, and has enabled me to make some fantastic new friends :D
jayson2125

I went last night with my family and another family, We have been going to the fireworks and last nights display was simply brilliant.

I left Alton towers wanting more and was actually sad that it was the last day of the season.

Well done Alton towers and please please please keep up the great work.

Many many thanks to Lewis97 for my signature file.
joelpagett

Just wanted to share my video :-)

Danny

I was really blown away by how exceptional the fireworks were. The story was really cheesy [but it's an Alton Towers fireworks display, it has to be cheesy!] but certainly worked and I hope this is built upon for future displays.

The use of fire worked as a one trick pony, especially as it caught the audience by total surprise. I would however like to see maybe one or two more uses of this in years to come, and projection mapping on the Towers! That would be very much commendable and would bring them into the realms of Disney's works.

An incredible show this year, and I hope the Entertainments team are now responsible for the displays from here on out.
DavidRock

After the last 3 years of the Radio 1 playlist with fireworks I was stood there last night thinking is it going to be the same again.......

When I heard the pre fireworks voice over wasn't that guy off the X Factor I thought could be in for a surprise here.....

The story started and I was all happy loooooooooooong live themed fireworks. Alton Towers have really brought back the standard of how fireworks should have been done and restored my faith once more.

Full credit to jubilee Fireworks team, Alton Towers Events Team and everyone else who was involved in the whole event.

Guys (and Girls) I tip my hat and salute you for an amazing evening ......
Everton-99

The only problem the towers have got in regards to projection mapping on the towers is the fireworks create a lot of smoke in front of the towers so you hardly see the towers during the display, it's different for Disneyland as the castle is in front of the fireworks so is always visible, it's a shame for the towers but I guess that's why they use more lasers and moving heads than most other places!
Last edited by Everton-99 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

Everton-99 wrote: The only problem the towers have got in regards to projection mapping on the towers is the fireworks create a lot of smoke in front of the towers so you hardley see the toweds during the display, its different for disneyland as the castle is in front of the fireworks so is always visible, its a shame for the towers but i guess thats why they use more lasers and moving heads than most other places!
It could always be used as the opening, with some fireworks beginning.
Lottie.

I loved the fireworks this year! The music and the timing of the fireworks were brilliant. I couldn't really fault it imo. The cheesy storyline of 'memories' was a big risk but worked really well.

I think it's safe to say, I was mesmerised by the show. :)
Wedjie

Didn't get to go this year - and I am more gutted than anyone can imagine. It looked absolutely awesome!
Loved the story tied all the rides and all the music together!

Will definitely be going next year, I'm just preying to the coaster gods that they dont have a Cbeebies-themed Firework display. I would rather them just repeat what they did this year!

Actually had goosebumps when the Smiler ''Took Over''...and that was just from watching on Youtube!
Last edited by Wedjie on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onair

Loved the fireworks this year. Really great to see some kind of story back.

Great lighting too.

Anyone else notice the displays were slightly different too on Sunday to the Saturday night  ;)
Roodlesnouter

onair wrote: Loved the fireworks this year. Really great to see some kind of story back.

Great lighting too.

Anyone else notice the displays were slightly different too on Sunday to the Saturday night  ;)
You are correct. The fans sequence was slightly different, good spot  :D
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
onair

Yes the ribbon fountain thing was in the Nemesis section on friday and saturday. On sunday it was moved to that part after the fire blast the bit memories gone..
Last edited by onair on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.