Alton Towers Hotel Refurbishment

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Lee

Those Smiler rooms look like an absolute head mess, not too sure I could stomach that after a few shandy's if I'm honest.
KittyKat

Not sure what I make of 'The Smiler' room. I do bet it would be an amazing room for Scarefest though!
sully1311

They need to add Air-Con to the rooms! When I went last year, it was so hot in the room. It wasn't even a hot day outside (probably around 16-17 degrees).

That goes to Splash Landings as well.
Dan

sully1311 wrote: They need to add Air-Con to the rooms! When I went last year, it was so hot in the room. It wasn't even a hot day outside (probably around 16-17 degrees).

That goes to Splash Landings as well.
I second this.

When I spent a night in the AT Hotel in May the weather wasn't brilliant but the room was ridiculously hot during the night, no matter how much fiddling I did with the temperature control box on the wall it just didn't get any cooler.

We ended up sleeping on top of the duvet with the window open.

So yeah I think they need to invest in some sort of cooling system for the rooms.
Mark.aa

Yes very hot in rooms was there 22 23 July and had thunder storm but room still hot.
They did provided a fan,
Windows only open 4 inches for safety .
Retro fitting a/c would be massive job.
It won't happen.
PeteB

Mark.aa wrote: Windows only open 4 inches for safety .
They open more than 4 inches. The top part doesn't pull down very far, maybe 6-8 inches but the bottom part of the windows have to be able to open enough for you to climb out in case of a fire.

I've never stayed in a room (in either hotel) where the windows didn't lift half way up.
Mark.aa

In the room I stayed in in splash the top part did not move and bottom part only lifted 4 inches.
Was on third floor!
PeteB

That's very strange. Unless they've changed it just recently, but it would be a stupid thing to do.

Maybe a stuck window?
RCandrew

I was there 3 weeks ago in splash landings and the window opened up 4 inches and down 4 inches, 3rd floor!
Cookie Monster

i think there should be a option to have a fan in your room when you book it, also when i was on the summer sizzler they had a guy singing on the stage and when we went back there the next day he was there again so i was wondering how often do they change the entertainment? 
Jammydodger

When I stayed in the Moon Voyager room there was a storage heater style box in the corner, that also doubled up as an Air con unit. It was quite hard to suss out though. We left it on while we went out to eat and came back to a gloriously cool room. I'd assume this solution is much cheaper than a ceiling vent system.
Unfortunately, with the UK's weather as it is, it'll be a tricky one to convince the higher ups that its worth the investment for real Aircon.
madziee

Most hotels have a cafe style place, serving lunch and snacks throughout the day... food such as bacon butties, chips, scones. This seems to be lacking. They have the light snacks covered early on with the coffee bar and things, but they stop serving too early and have a very limited menu. Then they serve pizza, chips and garlic bread but only start at 10! So they completely miss tea time, sort of making you NEED to use their restaurant, wheras when staying in a non-remote area, you could pop out somewhere.
So yes, in general they need to have a refurb of the food options and indeed quality- £9 at red hot world buffet for more choice and better quality than £20 at towers.
Shutterbug

madziee wrote: Most hotels have a cafe style place, serving lunch and snacks throughout the day... food such as bacon butties, chips, scones. This seems to be lacking. They have the light snacks covered early on with the coffee bar and things, but they stop serving too early and have a very limited menu. Then they serve pizza, chips and garlic bread but only start at 10! So they completely miss tea time, sort of making you NEED to use their restaurant, wheras when staying in a non-remote area, you could pop out somewhere.
So yes, in general they need to have a refurb of the food options and indeed quality- £9 at red hot world buffet for more choice and better quality than £20 at towers.
I agree there needs to be something else food wise like more snacks as can't just eat crisps from the gift shop if you miss the coffee bar.

However, I quite like flambos in splash landings and think the main hotel needs something like it, maybe a bit more "adult" so bit less kiddy foods like burgers. Whether its just cos I don't like my local red hot buffet in Nottingham as food is so bland, always the same stuff that tastes like its got the same base and they've tweaked it a bit... but I'd rather flambos stayed as it is. I can't say anything for the main hotel as I've not eaten there because I don't think there's a vegan option at all so I can't eat there.
Lotty

They need a more how shall i say "Like a frankie & Benny's or Beef eater. Personally i think flambo's is quite expensive for ok food, and the secret garden doesn't offer a lot of choice. but we always go in large groups so end up at the buffet just so there's something for everyone. but i wouldn't go there purely on the taste of the food.

Created By Lewis97 :)

Was Thrillbaby now Lotty :)
jon18uk

madziee wrote: Most hotels have a cafe style place, serving lunch and snacks throughout the day... food such as bacon butties, chips, scones. This seems to be lacking. They have the light snacks covered early on with the coffee bar and things, but they stop serving too early and have a very limited menu. Then they serve pizza, chips and garlic bread but only start at 10! So they completely miss tea time, sort of making you NEED to use their restaurant, wheras when staying in a non-remote area, you could pop out somewhere.
The Atrium bar area serves brunch and lunch (menus on this page http://www.altontowers.com/hotels/alton ... staurants/) and the coffee shack in Splash Landings serves snacks then there is a full lunch menu in Flambo's.

This is a much bigger offer than around 5 years ago when I think the hotels just assumed everyone was in the park so didn't seem to bother offering much of a lunchtime food selection!
Deejay

Anyone ever dined in the ATH Steak House? It's fantastic, however it's very pricey. It only opens up on the busiest days and is without a doubt the best restaurant in the hotels set-up at ATR.
Lee

Friends of mine stayed in the moon voyager room last night and showed me some photos today. I must admit, it does look like a good refurb. The corridor is rather snazzy.
funstie

Off to stay in the moon voyager rooms on Friday. Not sure who is more excited, me or my 5 year old :)
Michelle

funstie wrote: Off to stay in the moon voyager rooms on Friday. Not sure who is more excited, me or my 5 year old :)
Ooh, I'd love to read a proper review when you're back, if you have time!
pillsburyb

PeteB wrote:
Mark.aa wrote: Windows only open 4 inches for safety .
They open more than 4 inches. The top part doesn't pull down very far, maybe 6-8 inches but the bottom part of the windows have to be able to open enough for you to climb out in case of a fire.

I've never stayed in a room (in either hotel) where the windows didn't lift half way up.
I stop in hotels up and down the country, and no Hotel Window opens so that you can climb out of it.

The windows at AT and SL open 4 inches