Alton Towers Hotel Refurbishment

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
PeteB

Taken from TT news:
The Alton Towers Hotel is set to undergo a multi-million pound large scale refurbishment over the next few years. This news comes shortly after The Alton Towers Resort announced plans to build a large scale log cabin resort in one of the nearby car parks. Out of the two existing hotels, The Alton Towers Hotel already has a slightly more upscale feel and appearance but this refurbishment is designed to take this to the next level and permanantly position the hotel as the premium offering at the resort.

The first phase of this transformation is already underway with 14 new 'Moon Voyager' themed rooms set to open around march time. Taking on a Jules Verne styling these new rooms are a step above the current ones offered. The new rooms feature premium design features including velvet curtains, period ironmongery, antique style lighting fixtures, top quality furnishings and even a dedicated children's area.

TowersTimes will keep you updated when we hear more on these exciting developments.

Don't forget to check the TowersTimes Forums for discussion on the latest news from the resort. TowersTimes Forum is the largest and most active theme park based forum in the country!
Last edited by PeteB on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cookiee_munster

the moon voyager themed rooms sounds really intriguing. this all sounds like something the hotel really needs. that push into a much more grander offering.

this really must mean that the log cabins have to be very well priced.
Liam-AltonTowers

Also, when Towers Street were on the resort a couple of days ago they took this photo which was from the Alton Towers Hotel regarding these new 'Moon Voyager rooms. Here it is:

Interesting! Can't wait for the arrival of these rooms along with the new rooms themed around The Smiler. 2013 is going to be an amazing year for the resort!

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
Michelle

This is the first thing that has been discussed about the Hotels that has actually made me want to stay over. Typical that this would happen the year I have no one to drag along with me! I hope that the changes made reflect the money spent and we're not left thinking they've done quick fix-ups.
altontowerskid

Yes Yes YEESSS!!

Improvements to the resort, such as this, are exactly what they need in order to keep the guests flowing in the doors :D I really hope that these sorts of improvements continue, across the whole of the resort, it really is impressive the amount of investment which is being directed at the park at the moment!

There is no room for pessimism here, news like this is fantastic! :)
CoasterCrazyChris

I would love to see a rebrand of the Alton Towers Hotel to coincide with this refurbishment, starting with a new logo. Would be nice if they got rid of the suitcase and incorporated the flying ship back into the design.

Love the look of these new Moon Voyagers rooms too! Nice to see something which is not sponsorship based for once!

:)
bensaund

I fully support any investment in the resort, but I will never benefit from it as I'm tight and would not be prepared to pay the premium price. But hopefully those who pay will have a magical experience. It looks to me as if Merlin are really upping their game, huge investment in Chessington and Alton at the moment. Keep up the good work.
If you go down to the woods today
PeteB

Michelle wrote: This is the first thing that has been discussed about the Hotels that has actually made me want to stay over. Typical that this would happen the year I have no one to drag along with me! I hope that the changes made reflect the money spent and we're not left thinking they've done quick fix-ups.
Well a full refurb of the hotel is going to take quite some time so apart from the new Moon Voyager themed rooms I doubt most of this will be ready until late this year, possibly 2014. Guess we might see a relaunch but personally I'm hoping that the hotel isn't rebranded. I love the current theme, Sir Algenon and what not and as you rightly said I hope it isn't quick fix ups. I haven't been impressed with any of the recent hotel updates.

This is actually the 2nd refurb the hotel has undergone since it opened in 1996. The rooms back then were quite different from what they are now but it remains to be seen whether this "full refurb" simply means just the rooms, or the entire hotel. I hope it's the former and not the latter as Merlin simply aren't a patch on Tussauds in the 90's for theming and experiences, magic etc.
CoasterCrazyChris

PeteB wrote:
Michelle wrote: This is the first thing that has been discussed about the Hotels that has actually made me want to stay over. Typical that this would happen the year I have no one to drag along with me! I hope that the changes made reflect the money spent and we're not left thinking they've done quick fix-ups.
Well a full refurb of the hotel is going to take quite some time so apart from the new Moon Voyager themed rooms I doubt most of this will be ready until late this year, possibly 2014. Guess we might see a relaunch but personally I'm hoping that the hotel isn't rebranded. I love the current theme, Sir Algenon and what not and as you rightly said I hope it isn't quick fix ups. I haven't been impressed with any of the recent hotel updates.

This is actually the 2nd refurb the hotel has undergone since it opened in 1996. The rooms back then were quite different from what they are now but it remains to be seen whether this "full refurb" simply means just the rooms, or the entire hotel. I hope it's the former and not the latter as Merlin simply aren't a patch on Tussauds in the 90's for theming and experiences, magic etc.
When I said rebrand I didn't mean get rid of Sir Algenon or the colonial theme (what's left of it) but I just want to see a return of the quality image the hotel had in the late 90's. A good start would be a new logo which incorporates the flying machine into it again, and a return of the special features the hotel used to provide which have been lost mostly due to cost cutting in the late Tussauds years. Especially the quality brochures which were produced each year and the complimentary goodie bags that were given to all hotel guests.

I would love to hope the refurbishment will mean that cheap generic features that have crept into the hotel (such as laminate flooring and plain leather sofas) will be replaced with quality themed alternatives.

Please Merlin do a better job with ATH than what you have done with Splash. I cannot believe that they have been allowed to do such a shoddy job with those repaints. The SLH hotel has lost almost adult appeal.
rockportboy

I think Alton Will completely re-theme the whole hotel the sonic room would of been 1 of the 14 due to its sega partnership ending next year on sonic spinball. Also I think they'll relaunch this hotel as the luxury accomodation once the lodges are built.
Kenzie2012

The prices after this refurb are going to be horrendous!!

As much as I prefer it over splash.... I think the price will put me in there a lot more.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Altontowersbarlow

brilliant nice to know alton are taking care of their hotels :D
joelpagett

A little bit of concept art for both new rooms at the hotel have appeared in The Sun today. The Smiler rooms look pretty scary though!

Last edited by joelpagett on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
clayj

I work in lighting design & wholesale.... Gotta say, the medical lamps stood out & look brilliant !!
[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
ADM182

If they just clean the bathrooms properly it would be a good start! Last two hotel stays have had 'body hair' of mulitiple regions in the sink and arround the loo!

Basics first would be nice, plus the cheese board in the s/garden is a farce! :(
Henry

Do you think that they will create more themed rooms, like the moon voyager ones but with a different theme, maybe sailing and on the bed you get a complimentary teddy bear thats a sailor. The bunk beds could be like a ship a bit like this
(credit to Towerstimes) the bunkbeds themed to a ship obviously.
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
Altontowersbarlow

I like the adventure rooms but mabey  a refurbishment will help not moon voyager though why nothing to do with alton towers  :D
JaykeAT

From what I've seen,I love the moon voyagers rooms,they just add to that escape feel,although I would have to take out 3 mortgages to get into the room of course
haydn!

altontowersbarlow wrote: I like the adventure rooms but mabey  a refurbishment will help not moon voyager though why nothing to do with alton towers  :D
I think you said, the moon voyager rooms have nothing to do with Alton Towers? ...someone needs to do their research  ;)
SmilingMonkey

joelpagett wrote: A little bit of concept art for both new rooms at the hotel have appeared in The Sun today. The Smiler rooms look pretty scary though!

Caught a glimpse of the new Smiler rooms on my recent visit, very OTT theming and they look great. As many have pointed out the prices are steep and I think if I had to pick I'd choose the Moon Voyager over The Smiler theme.
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure