X Sector Refurbishment

Smile always. New for 2013.
aldredd

James97 wrote: Maybe they are listening to us  8) They should really give the whole place a darn good jetwash.
Don't think they'd need to close off the whole of x-sector to jet-wash it down.
Hitch

aldredd wrote:
James97 wrote: Maybe they are listening to us  8) They should really give the whole place a darn good jetwash.
Don't think they'd need to close off the whole of x-sector to jet-wash it down.
Yeah obviously, While it's closed to do whatever it is there doing they should jet wash it! They certainly wouldn't be able to set of high pressure jet washers of around there while the ride was open anyway.
PSxyz

Yeah! The burger kitchen roof too  :lol:
bealyboy

sully1311 wrote: Just phoned up to book tickets for next week. They stated that the X-Sector will be closed so they maybe doing more work.
Unless that's for putting the marmaliser in or something
SMILE.ALWAYS
Phild94

bealyboy wrote:
sully1311 wrote: Just phoned up to book tickets for next week. They stated that the X-Sector will be closed so they maybe doing more work.
Unless that's for putting the marmaliser in or something
It will be whilst they fit the airtime hills and marmaliser as they will need the crane in the centre of X-Sector whilst fitting these. Otherwise they would have to lift the crane out with an even bigger crane  :shock:

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
AltonTowerfanatic

Will the x sector upgrade continue in this time? As there is a lot mor work needed to be done!!
I'm ready to Smile!
Altontowersbarlow

I hope so nothing looks that different excluding the Smiler obviously :D.  im disapointed I love alton towers but all they've done is chuck out oblivions theming painted some buildings brushed up a bit and then shoved a temporary logo on the top of a building not the best efforts but with an 18 million pound investmant coaster I suppose you cant blame them I hope the x sector and the Smiler turns out to be great but at this point I cant tell :D
ukparknews

I know it's nice to see an area of the park refurbed (and it goes without saying that the slate grey of Oblivion was long overdue) but are we not obsessing over this a little too much?

OK with Th13teen everyone expected an area makeover because along with it came the demise of Ugland and the birth of the Dark Forest, but you have to remember there's £18m being spent on this addition (ok several million was probably spent on marketing and merch alone  ;)) but you can't expect another huge chunk of money to be spent on satisfying the needs of the picky coaster enthusiast.

Jo public will walk into X Sector and be gob smacked by the sight of The Smiler. I doubt they'll even notice that Oblivion has been repainted, let alone if some jet washing has taken place.

Whilst I agree it'd be nice to see AT cross the Ts and dot the Is, we have to remember that X Sector is 15 years old and stepping back, after construction has finished, it's going to look immense and represent a huge financial investment for the company.
UK Park News - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource

www.ukparknews.co.uk
JaykeAT

Just want to point out,it's not the X-sector that's closed,Enterprise and Submission are to open a minimum of 2 hours late a day.For those of you who didn't know,they tried to do this at the start of least season but pulled back on the idea
AltonTowerfanatic

JaykeAT wrote: Just want to point out,it's not the X-sector that's closed,Enterprise and Submission are to open a minimum of 2 hours late a day.For those of you who didn't know,they tried to do this at the start of least season but pulled back on the idea

Why would they do this?? Even more so seeming they just re did they to amazing standers as I have hear??
I'm ready to Smile!
sully1311

JaykeAT wrote: Just want to point out,it's not the X-sector that's closed,Enterprise and Submission are to open a minimum of 2 hours late a day.For those of you who didn't know,they tried to do this at the start of least season but pulled back on the idea
I just repeating what the person told me on the phone.
AltonTowerfanatic

sully1311 wrote:
I just repeating what the person told me on the phone.

Hmmm, strange haha
I'm ready to Smile!
SmilingMonkey

This is disappointing, will this mean Oblivion will be out of action for my visit next Tuesday? I presume AT will offer some sort of compensation (i.e. a free fast track or something similar) whilst three of their rides are out of action?
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure
JaykeAT

SmilingMonkey wrote:
This is disappointing, will this mean Oblivion will be out of action for my visit next Tuesday? I presume AT will offer some sort of compensation (i.e. a free fast track or something similar) whilst three of their rides are out of action?
From what I know,it's just that the 2 flats are opening late
SmilingMonkey

JaykeAT wrote: From what I know,it's just that the 2 flats are opening late
Thank you, I will double check this and report back.
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure
norts

Was in the park today and Oblivions track was painted at least as far into the hole as you can see from the ground! No mist effects at all today. The Smiler is really going to dominate the area when it's finished, it seems so huge compared to Altons other coasters, Oblivion looks so small at the side of it already!
AndreJD

Awesome! Would be great if somebody could snap a picture so I can finally breathe easy.
schmatt

Does make the concrete look awfully dirty though! However when the mist returns I'd imagine it should be covered, but the concrete surrounding the area still could do with a nice clean. Picture from CF

youarecorrectsir

You know I'm not so sure I mind the dirty concrete. I reckon if it was all clean it would take away from the ride! Almost like a disused forgotten hole - I think it adds to the ride experience and theming. Much like the fake (and real!) rust on Nemesis.
[align=center]"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"[/align]
JayJay90

norts wrote: Was in the park today and Oblivions track was painted at least as far into the hole as you can see from the ground! No mist effects at all today. The Smiler is really going to dominate the area when it's finished, it seems so huge compared to Altons other coasters, Oblivion looks so small at the side of it already!
See, one of the things I was really worried about was getting into X-sector and seeing Oblivion over-shadowed by The Smiler. However in my personal opinion, I think they work quite well together and I didn't get that sense of The Smiler dominating. I liked the fact that, once those building site borders go down and the smiler is up and running, X-sector is going to be a much more open area, rather than walking down the one side and having this big tent just sat there and closing off the area.

Oblivion will always have that intimidating factor, its still a focal point of the area. However i think the only thing is, people will stare at Oblivion and be like WOW and then turn around and be like WOW! its just going to be an incredible area! :D

Also in terms of the concrete, I think it adds to the ride as is stated above too :) I think the only problem being is that theres just SO much of it [the concrete] there