X Sector Refurbishment

Smile always. New for 2013.
Adz
Admin
Admin

As reported by TowersTimes, X Sector is due for a complete refurbishment for the 2013 season. Please continue all discussion on this within this topic.
Last edited by Adz on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deejay

I read the article for towers staff. Oblivion's shuttles get a mention, they sounded serious about bringing her up to date. So a paint job is a given but we may be looking at something more substantial. I think floorless would require too much work on the station but converting them into lap bars may be possible??? Of course this is all speculation but they do sound serious in their article!! :-)
Vanessa Feltz

I believe it's just Aesthetic I'm afraid, I'd love to see a mechanical change though :(
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
Themeparksandy1981

I'm hoping it have more warning lights around the area and at the entrance of X sector a warning to enter at your own risk by use of a big sign or speakers.
Owen

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: I'm hoping it have more warning lights around the area and at the entrance of X sector a warning to enter at your own risk by use of a big sign or speakers.
Brilliant! And they should actually make the smoke effects work on the oblivion hole like they used to so that you can't see into it. Both arms on submission should work again and actors in uniform should patrol the area not saying any thing at all. The nurses should be walking around secret weapon 7 plaza saying to people every now and then "have you booked an appointment yet?".

These are my suggestions I hope you agree
TheNigeC

thillmad wrote:
Themeparksandy1981 wrote: I'm hoping it have more warning lights around the area and at the entrance of X sector a warning to enter at your own risk by use of a big sign or speakers.
Brilliant! And they should actually make the smoke effects work on the oblivion hole like they used to so that you can't see into it. Both arms on submission should work again and actors in uniform should patrol the area not saying any thing at all. The nurses should be walking around secret weapon 7 plaza saying to people every now and then "have you booked an appointment yet?".

These are my suggestions I hope you agree
The nurses idea sounds pretty cool... when i read the "have you booked your appointment yet" i imagined some OVERLY happy squeeky voiced woman, stood right infront of me, almost in my face, nodding rather fast with a HUGE smile on her face...
[align=center]I Could live on Nemesis! I want to travel the world visiting all the best Theme Parks!

FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM [img]http://TUMBLR YOUTUBE

CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK
[/align]
riley_h96

Ever since going to Thorpe Park, I loved the feel of the area which Stealth is in, it's like 50s/60s themed. They could change Oblivion to a Bowling-Themed ride (as bowling became a popular American import during this time, and going down the vertical drop could seem like you're being "bowled over" ). Also, the sanctuary and SW7 are supposed to be themed round this time, so the theme would suit the next major coaster. This isn't happening, but it's a thought...  ;)
george2v

riley_h96 wrote: Ever since going to Thorpe Park, I loved the feel of the area which Stealth is in, it's like 50s/60s themed. They could change Oblivion to a Bowling-Themed ride (as bowling became a popular American import during this time, and going down the vertical drop could seem like you're being "bowled over" ). Also, the sanctuary and SW7 are supposed to be themed round this time, so the theme would suit the next major coaster. This isn't happening, but it's a thought...  ;)
I see where you're coming from; I absolutely love Amity Speedway as well. But in my opinion, the reason Oblivion is so scary is because of it's storyline, and the way you know you're not going to survive the drop - the unknowingness of what is past that (occasional) wall of mist. And it's for that reason I don't think they should change anything about Oblivion, just refurbish it. Nice idea, mind you.
bensaund

DeeJayUK wrote: but converting them into lap bars may be possible???
If they convert it to lap bars I will never ride it again!
If you go down to the woods today
Owen

bensaund wrote:
DeeJayUK wrote: but converting them into lap bars may be possible???
If they convert it to lap bars I will never ride it again!
Agreed
Kenzie2012

The Smiler will have OTSR's for sure and probably yellow from the looks of things..... Oblivion will not be loosing its OTSR's in any way, shape or form. They are iconic to the ride.... But they are in a dismal state ATM hence why they have been mentioned under the list of x-sector work in the staff letter.

I can assure you all, the restraints for Oblivion are NOT changing.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Owen

Kenzie2012 wrote: The Smiler will have OTSR's for sure and probably yellow from the looks of things..... Oblivion will not be loosing its OTSR's in any way, shape or form. They are iconic to the ride.... But they are in a dismal state ATM hence why they have been mentioned under the list of x-sector work in the staff letter.

Yeah I thought so it would be too dangerous other wise
Sam198

Kenzie2012 wrote: The Smiler will have OTSR's for sure and probably yellow from the looks of things..... Oblivion will not be loosing its OTSR's in any way, shape or form. They are iconic to the ride.... But they are in a dismal state ATM hence why they have been mentioned under the list of x-sector work in the staff letter.

Actually, Blivvy's vile old restraints were being phased out over the course of last season, and I have the pics to prove it...

Picture taken by yours truly in august 2012.

Now compare these to the 'old' restraints, clearly visible visible here directly alongside the new ones...

These minor (ish) details, combined with the confirmed full track repaint, represent two major steps on the long road to restoring Oblivion to her former glory.
Trisnie

I would like them to rebran the area as a high security psyc hospital
It would really lend itself to it with the high walls etc
Kenzie2012

Sam198 wrote:

Actually, Blivvy's vile old restraints were being phased out over the course of last season, and I have the pics to prove it...

Picture taken by yours truly in august 2012.

Now compare these to the 'old' restraints, clearly visible visible here directly alongside the new ones...

These minor (ish) details, combined with the confirmed full track repaint, represent two major steps on the long road to restoring Oblivion to her former glory.
Right I get that Sam, what I was pointing out was that they will not be replaced with Lap bars!
Even though the old restraints were replaced, they were effectively swapped for new ones....
When I said they won't be leaving, I meant the restrains as a whole wont be changed to Lap bars, I'm sure that the ones physically in place at the end on 2012 will be removed.
OTSR's will not leave Oblivion.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Sam198

Kenzie2012 wrote: Right I get that Sam, what I was pointing out was that they will not be replaced with Lap bars!
Even though the old restraints were replaced, they were effectively swapped for new ones....
When I said they won't be leaving, I meant the restrains as a whole wont be changed to Lap bars, I'm sure that the ones physically in place at the end on 2012 will be removed.
OTSR's will not leave Oblivion.
Fair enough, and I 100% agree with you on the fact that Oblivion will not be converting to lap bars any time soon. Or ever for that matter... :D

Anyway, besides being highly complicated (and costly) to perform, such a transformation wouldn't have any clear positive affect on the ride experience. And while it would allow Merlin to utilize the 'Now Scarier than Ever!' marketing approach, it would never represent a very successful investment.
Last edited by Sam198 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenzie2012

I think the same... It really would benefit the ride in any way at all.
Oblivion is one of the few rides where I actually can't think of anything to change that would clearly improve it the experience.
Other than the work on restoring it now, it's near enough spot on.
Sam198

Kenzie2012 wrote: I think the same... It really would benefit the ride in any way at all.
Oblivion is one of the few rides where I actually can't think of anything to change that would clearly improve it the experience.
Other than the work on restoring it now, it's near enough spot on.
Agreed. At this rate, X-Sector may just overtake FV as my favorite park area this season... it's always had so much more potential than it's currently letting on in my eyes, and this overhaul may just be Alton's only chance for a long time yet to harness this.

Personally, I'm exited... ;)
Kenzie2012

The problem with Xsector, minus the fact it was falling apart, has always been The Black Hole Tent and general area of what was that ride!! It took up such a large amount of space itself, plus the bit at the bottom which was fenced off for sooo long and then the queue line too. It's worst days were when the track was left to rot outside the tent in full vue for anyone to see.

That tent and the manner of its "dark days" have always had a huge effect on the visual moat of The Xsector! Everything is on such a massive scale..... the more i see this build take shape, the more impressed i am that hey are managing to mirror the shear size of oblivion into the area once again. It is a terrific area and now with that portion on the area being transformed alone it should help Xsector dominate the rest of the park.
Rollercoasters4Life

Here is what they could do to allow for X-Sector to open while they finish constructing The Smiler and its paths/ theming:

This would allow The Fried Chicken Company to operate through the side doors (near the tills) and just keep the doors facing SW7 locked and also allow Oblivion, Submission & Enterprise to be open.

It may create a bit of a bottleneck coming in and out of X Sector, but I would of thought before Easter hits they can open half of the main path down x sector and steer them around the back of the Fried Chicken company.

Doing it that way would allow for the pathways to be cleaned the construction side of the fence (the public pathways could be cleaned pre 2013 season) and also allow for the construction to continue along with the theming and pathways for the ride without people getting in the way.
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.