auditioning for a scare actor this year... HELP!

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Liam B

don't know if this is the right place to put this but this year I shall be audition for the mazes. Basically my plan is if I get the grades I need this year I'm taking my last year of school off to just work around Alton towers and see if it does actually suit me before I go to uni. So I thought I would start with scare acting as its always been a thing I would LOVE to do. so if anyone on this site has done it before can I please get some form of help on what to do for my audition and what period of time (if I get the job) will I be working. I am 17 but Alton towers jobs says that age is OK and I need no previous training. thanks
SamSimkin

When your auditioning for an acting places, the 4 things I always find most important are to

1) don't be a pushover, at most Auditions (for musicals and stuff) they will get you to do some pretty stupid things, but you have to remember they want to see those stupid things, they want to see you make a fool of yourself! So make sure you are at the front of the audtions making yourself as noticeable as possible

2) it will sound cheesy, but SMILE!

3) make sure your prepared for anything, such as what your wearing suitable clothing

4) don't hang around with people you now, because I did that once and I was more worried about what my friends thought instead of concentrating on the audtion

But these have all been for amateur productions, but go in there and think happy thoughts (or horrible thoughts if its a scare actor!)

Good luck!
And tell us how you get on!

:D
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
Liam B

thank you. Is the audition in a big group then? thought it would've been a single kinda thing. suppose that kinda makes it easier :)
roary01

Hi,
Now although i can't give a proper insight into how the actors auditions go, i worked in the scaremazes as a host last year and we had audition/assesment day.
Basically there was a group of us say about 10-15
we got to know eachother, then you basically do teambuilding games, improvisation activities (this would probably be differnt for actors.
Also did a bit about characters/voices then after we were given a paragraph of script to characterize.
We then were called one by one for individual interviews, in which we presented our script in character...
Ive done a few interviews around towers now, and some points to pick up on ive noticed...
1. When your arrive, be friendly, chat to the people around you, most of the time hey will talk back to you, your in the same position where you don't know eachother. Your also been watched to see how you co-operate with others.
2. Be yourself, not everyone is confident at the same things, show your strengths, just because someone may be better at one thing, don't try to better them for the sake of it.
3. Everyone gets nerves, and people expect that, just relax stay calm and enjoy the experience.
4. Entertainments are a very friendly department, so don't take everything too seriously, they are there to see what you can bring to the park, and they will always be able to pick out the best things about you!

Hope it helps, and good luck!
Liam B

ah cheers! That kinda calmed me down there. If its a kinda group activity (obviously acting) I'll feel more comfortable in a group of people doing the same thing. That should hopefully reinforce my confidence for the individual scene. This will be such a fun job!  :D
PeteB

I don't know about Alton Towers, but I know that auditions at other places and even in things like TV & Film, you want to make yourself stand out from the crowd and be memorable. And that's certainly what I'd be looking for at the auditions for my scare attraction this year.

If it was me going for an audition, here's what I'd do.  I'd invent a character. Nothing too costume heavy but something simple and suitable for halloween and maybe just a touch of makeup. Get into that character the moment you arrive and stay in character the whole time you are in front of anybody, except when asked to do something specific during your audition though. But when staying in character at other times don't be annoying and a show off.

There was a girl who used to work in ToTT back in the old days and her character was called Esmeralda. She now works at Tulley's and has become one of the most famous characters in the scare industry. She would never break character though - going for breaks, going around the resort, even when being interviewed. If the costume was on, she WAS that character.

Here's a video from the auditions at Blackpool Dungeons so you have an idea of what to expect. Similar thing going on here.

Whatever you do just absolutely try your best to stand out and be memorable when you're up against lots of other people, but memorable for the right reasons! At somewhere like Alton Towers, the more fun and entertaining you can be, the more they'll love you! :)
Liam B

does anyone know any cheap places to stay in stoke near the bus station? for like the duration of training and scarefest. And does anybody know when training begins?
roary01

Till the end of last year Towers did offer accomodation in the town of Leek, however this now has nothing to do with Towers...
However when you go for the interview if you ask im sure they'll be able to point you in the direction of accomodation opportunities available
Liam B

yeah just asked the jobs facebook page and they just mentioned castle estates which have rooms at £85 a week which seems reasonable
Jammydodger

It changes a little from year to year, I haven't been to Alton's auditions, but I have been to auditions for Saw Alive. And my friend has been to an Alton one twice.

You go in as a mid sized group, and get asked to do various tasks, to give you an example, here is a mix of what both myself and my friend have had to do in the past:

-One of the staff members will sit in a chair in the center, you will be asked to do everything you can to scare them. 
-You can be asked to pick any animal, and must ask like a "predator" towards a person in the middle.
-You'll be given a choice of 3 scenarios or characters to act. You have to use your own acting ability to make the scene/character come alive. Sometimes there will be a script which you can hold and read as you act.
-You may be asked to run full pelt at someone and stop immediately in front of them without touching them.
-You might be given a piece of paper with an emotion such as "distress" and have to act distressed, but starting with someone shouting 1 then working up to 10 becoming more intense.

Top Tips:
Use the space! If its a large room, as a rule, aim to touch every single wall during each task where possible.
Show Control. Don't touch anyone unless asked. Don't stumble or fall.
Be versatile. Pick a new persona for every task. Don't always be the "creepy grunting one" etc. mix it up. 
Don't be the annoying group leader that takes over. They never get the part, trust me.

As for accommodation, for Scarefest they usually partner up with Premier inn (or one of those budget hotels) and hold back a certain amount of rooms to stay in, as its easier than renting for such a short period.

Hope all that helps, if you want to know anything else just let me know.

Just looking at that video from blackpool, the audition is far more relaxed then that. there's no stage as such, and you rarely do anything by yourself.
Last edited by Jammydodger on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sku11dude123

If i rehearsed for the scare maze, The Justin bieber carboard cutout mask is coming out the cupboard...  :lol:
Liam B

Jammydodger wrote:

Just looking at that video from Blackpool, the audition is far more relaxed then that. there's no stage as such, and you rarely do anything by yourself.
YAY! think I'll be more comfortable in a group. cheers for that info! I live in scotland so yeah if they did the premier inn thing it should hopefully cost a lot less :P was gonna take away the majority of my earnings!

do you have any clue to when (if I get the part) training will start till scarefest ends? as in like 4/6 weeks?
Jammydodger

Its usually the end of September I think. There's only so much rehearsal you can do without the actual mazes set up. Although this year it could be a bit later because there's no preview weekend.
Liam B

ah so al probs be living there for about a month. sounds good! looking more and more forward to this! did you get through the audition? and did yer mate?
Jammydodger

I didn't get through to Saw which was just as well, because all the actors got made redundant when they decided to shut it  :|

My friend made it through, but she was a costume character so not actually in the mazes.
Liam B

aw sorry to hear :/ I have no back ground in any acting but I believe when I do try (as I'm starting to think up scenarios I'm good at) I'm am OK. But I hear there are quite a few drama students that do attend these things so may not have a chance
Jammydodger

I only really had a small amount of experience, they give you feedback at the end if you ask for it, and I know I only didn't get the job due to lack of control (I kept bumping in to people haha).

I wouldn't worry about that, they're not looking solely for acting ability, they're looking for improvisation skills. There's also a handful of roles that require certain height/weight/build that they will fill regardless of acting ability - Take the boiler house for example, they had to hire around 6-7 people that had exactly the same build to give the illusion it was the same person. 

Its probably worth noting you actually had to fill out an application for Saw, it wasn't just an open audition, so they weeded out those who they thought would work and those who wouldn't.
Liam B

awesome! haha Im 6 foot 4 so if they need a giant clown or something they have me  :D

Would you suggest I wear just regular clothes? I know there may be a dialogue I have to come up with before the audition so would I dress to suit that character or are they not looking for that?
SamSimkin

hambletwins wrote: awesome! haha Im 6 foot 4 so if they need a giant clown or something they have me  :D

Would you suggest I wear just regular clothes? I know there may be a dialogue I have to come up with before the audition so would I dress to suit that character or are they not looking for that?
I'd dress comfortably.
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
Liam B

well unfortunately due to being a large distance away from Alton towers and accommodation seeming ridiculously planned it dosent look like I'm going to be able to do it. The only thing I can think of making this better is if someone else on this forum was going to audition and we could share a flat to lower the cost! so just bringing this up again to ask is anyone else out there wanting to do this?