What Type Of Restraints Did The Thunderlooper Have?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Corkscrew Lover

I Have Been Looking At Some Past Videos And Some Pictures And Seen That It Had No Over-The-Shoulder Restraints?
JoshC

It had lap bars, similar to most other Schwarzkopf looping coasters :)
Sam198

JoshC wrote: It had lap bars, similar to most other Schwarzkopf looping coasters :)
Indeed. :)

Here it is in it's current location at Hopi Hari Park in Sao Paulo, Brazil:

They're actually very minimal restraints, by the means that they are rather thin and posses little or no padding. They're certainly a far cry from more modern inverting Lap Bars...

Basically imagine RMT's restraints on a 53mph launched looping shuttle coaster. ;)
Last edited by Sam198 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bensaund

I miss the Looper  :cry:
If you go down to the woods today
DrReeve

Now that would be scary if the lap bars are like you have described
Image credit to Lewis97
Heisenberg96

Haha I remember hearing about this  :D seems like a death trap when you think of it now.
gaz1313

Totally safe, as proved by Anton to the German H & S executives!
DrReeve

you cant beat a good schwarzkopf coaster.
Image credit to Lewis97
aidan.rudge.92

Wow! so this ride went upside down and only had a lapbar! I bet that was well scary!  ;)
:D
DrReeve

aidan.rudge.92 wrote: Wow! so this ride went upside down and only had a lapbar! I bet that was well scary!  ;)
praticually its like the bucket of water that you swing over your shoulder as a child. The speed (50 something mph?) forces you in your seat
Image credit to Lewis97
deeve

The first coaster i went on at Alton Towers was on August 22nd 1990 was Thunderlooper. I went up there desparate to Ride The Corkscrew and had no idea Thunderlooper was there. The ride was the second best ride ever at AT. The restraints were lap bars.
jp235

Unlike the RMT, the Schwarzkopf looping coasters all have/had individual lap bars, rather than 1 bar per row.

They were 100% safe, as proved when Thunder Looper's Belgian cousin suffered a one-in-a-billion failure and jammed upside-down. The riders were all held perfectly securely.

Lots of Schwarzkopf looping coasters operated like this - including the Looping Stars and Silver Arrows. My favourite coaster of all time, Magnum Force at Flamingo Land, had just lap bars when it was on the German fairs.

Other Schwarzkopf looping coasters, including Olympia Looping, Thriller, and The Bullet had/have  a strange system involving a lap bar, and a pair of shoulder restraints, similar to the top part of an OTSR, which lower vertically onto riders' shoulders, using an accordian-style system.
Scooby252

aidan.rudge.92 wrote: Wow! so this ride went upside down and only had a lapbar! I bet that was well scary!  ;)
And also I similar lap bar on the old tower of terror at Camelot
I don't belong to the smiler , I belong to the mrs
sku11dude123

Question, What types of restraints would a coaster need in order for someone to fall out during an inversion?
Alex

Surely that defeats the point in having restraints if you are going to fall out  :-k

Although someone has see this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2012832/Darien-Lake-Iraq-war-veteran-James-Hackemer-dies-roller-coaster-fall.html
A

sku11dude123 wrote: Question, What types of restraints would a coaster need in order for someone to fall out during an inversion?
Well, you would actually have quite a hard job getting someone to fall out as the loop on the thunder looper was quite circular in shape (like most Schwarzkopfs) and so the forces in the loop alone would have been great enough to hold the riders in, hence why it only had lap bars instead of over the shoulder restraints.
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
Astro61201

Centrufugule force would hold you in like water in a bucket being swung over your head simultaneously
(apologies for bad spelling I am only TH13TEEN
cant wait!, cant wait!, cant wait! :uk:
Vladimir Bobinski

This page will pretty much tell you everything you'd want to know on on Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop.  Suggest you open it in a browser that will translate it, i.e chrome.

http://www.coastersandmore.de/rides/shu ... ttle.shtml