Ideas & Suggestions

Get ready to laugh and scream! Information on Attraction Source Events and member meetups.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Hello Members!

We are putting together the structure for our meetups in 2013 and we want your ideas on how we can make these better than they have been in the past.

Obviously we can only do things within the limits of what the park provides but what would be your ideal meetup? A simple get together in the tavern for a drink or two or an entire day spent as a group exploring the park, or more?!

We are hoping to drastically change the format for 2013 and we want you to be involved!
JaykeAT

Not that i'll be at meets for a while,but I think that after close ride area tours might be cool,or ERT.
Sam198

JaykeAT wrote: or ERT.
Hmm, TPR managed to arrange some ERT on their trip in 2010... so it might be doable! (we would have to have a fairly sizeable group though, and would have to let AT know numbers etc. quite far in advance...) Also, TPR are a global community who might well have a chance of persuading people to come to the park who wouldn't have done otherwise; however TTF doesn't have quite the same marketing appeal to AT management. It's sad, but true...

Judging by what Adz hinted at in the SB the other day, I think a 16th March meet up could well be on the cards!
Pennywise

I can't stress enough how important I believe that it is that meets should remain free; I think this should be the first priority when deciding upon the nature of the events. 'Flashy' meets with behind the scene tours and the likes, but at a price (as offered by TPR, for example) are all well and good but ultimately in doing this you're pricing some people out of being able to attend. If you can get these perks (and ERT would be another) for us at no extra cost then that would be amazing - if not, I don't think implementing such a system would be wise. Certainly not for a little while.

I think a variety of locations would also be ideal, as has been offered in the past. This is an Alton Towers fanboard but the park has fans throughout the country, and many of us are Merlin Annual Pass holders so it's only fair on the Northerners and Southerners that something is offered near to them throughout the year. Furthermore, even more extremely, perhaps some social events could be arranged at attractions with free admission - London museums? A pub crawl? Alternatives for people who choose not to - or can't - attend Alton Towers on a regular basis but still want to feel part of the TTF community.

As for Alton Towers meets themselves, I would suggest 'part day' meets as being an excellent idea - as you suggest, a couple of drinks in the Tavern, maybe. These would be perfect for new members to become acquainted with the group without feeling the pressure of 'having to' stay with them for the entire day. However I do feel that 'proper' meets should return, also. I really don't think there was too much of a problem with the way in which meets were organised last year (besides the lack of a clear 'meeting point') so it's a shame that you feel the need to 'fix' what probably wasn't broke.

Nonetheless, I look forward to attending some of what you do organise in terms of meets for the 2013 season. Always good to meet new people. :)
Last edited by Pennywise on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adz
Admin
Admin

I can confirm that yes, TowersTimes Meetups will remain free.

Occasionally we may host a special event which has chargeable aspects, but this will be in addition to any regular 'meets' we hold. :)
Danny

Will there be a calender of the meets up somewhere, or will it be a case of a topic is made a week or two beforehand to let people know?
PeteB

Mini meets (arranged by members themselves) may be posted a few days or a week or two before they happen but the official TTF meets arranged by the team are planned well in advance, so you'll certainly hear about them and have time to make arrangements.  :)
Dean

Fixed meeting points don't tend to work especially on opening day, as most people are stuck in a queue.

Then you end up with only a handful of people turn up... :|
Pennywise

Dean wrote: Fixed meeting points don't tend to work especially on opening day, as most people are stuck in a queue.

Then you end up with only a handful of people turn up... :|
True, but then something along the lines of 'The entrance plaza at 9am' would be fine and perfectly easy to organise for those who're on-park at the start of the day? Possibly also arranging where the majority of people will be eating in advance so there's another chance to meet up around lunch time? Obviously I don't object to people also meeting up by other means - your hotline has always been a fantastic service - but I don't see the problem with having extra peace of mind provided by the 'fixed point', especially for those people attending their first meet.
bensaund

9am! That is a bit late, I get to Alton just after 8, get the first monorail and I'm always first in the queue and first through the gate, meeting at 9 would not work for me as by 09:10 I'd be on Nemesis!
If you go down to the woods today
Danny

But then there's us public transporters who can't get to Towers until 9:30 at the earliest. It seems 10 would be the easiest as the majority of people would be on park by then.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Obviously if we introduced a fixed meeting point, it wouldn't be suitable for everyone and we'll make other arrangements for those who would need to join us at a later or earlier stage in the day. :)
bensaund

Maybe best to get people to meet after the morning ERT, so those with Annual passes or ERT can get maximum rides on their fave coasters, as those who are unable to get there until late have a chance.
If you go down to the woods today
PeteB

Fixed meet up times and even an hour's timeslot will be difficult for a lot of people, especially those with far to travel.

Perhaps there could be 2 or 3 meet up times.  Say for instance the initial meetup time is 9am in the court tavern, the group then goes off and could pass back by the tavern at 11am to pick up late arrivals. A 3rd pass could be made later in the afternoon say 3pm for those who are just meeting up casually and don't want to spend the entire day together.
TheNigeC

How about at Scarfest.. A TTF Fancy dress competition.... dont know what you could win... but might be a bit of a giggle...

Best dressed and worst dressed..?
[align=center]I Could live on Nemesis! I want to travel the world visiting all the best Theme Parks!

FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM [img]http://TUMBLR YOUTUBE

CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK
[/align]
Roodlesnouter

Would be great if we could get a sneaky peek/tour of SW7, sorry, The Smiler construction even if from a distance.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pennywise

I was just wondering whether a full list of 2013 events is going to be posted or whether it's simply going to be a case of them appearing a month or so prior to the event? It's just that it's much easier to organise visiting on TTF meets when the opportunity to plan in advance is presented.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the opening day meet (though I will be on park and will say 'hello' if I see you), but I intend to get to as many meets as possible next year. Knowing what they'll be would make that much easier. :)
Adz
Admin
Admin

We are working on the dates for the other meet ups. We hope to have these confirmed before the start of the season.
operationguard

Idea! How about every time (or near as damn it) you try and arrange a smallish interview type thing with the actors. This could be for the scarefest season. :D

~Op [AT Legend]
Tom.B

I had an idea last night which I brought up in a sb conversation, but I thought I'd mention it here for those of you who weren't there last night:

Basically I thought for people who are going on their first meet would benefit from everybody there wearing a sticky label with their forum username on, as well as their real first name. I just thought this would be a good idea, and have a chat with people who they've previously had a chat with in the sb, or via PM or something.

Thanks, and I hope the mods/event organisers take this into consideration!