Are you allowed a GoPro camera on the rollercoasters?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
DONT LOOK DOWN

I want to know because I want to post some on you tube.
Being number two is just being the first to lose.
The Moon

Simple answer, no. The stringent rules around such things mean only large media outlets, such as TPR and CF etc with proper permission made weeks in advance can. It is also not advisable to sneak anything on. It is not worth risking ejection from the park, especially when all coasters POV's are on YouTube by TPR, and most are mounted. Just search "Alton Towers coasters robbalvey".
Last edited by The Moon on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Adam

The best advice I can give is to simply ask the park first. As long as permission is granted and it's all safe and secure, you may be okay.

I know the UK parks are a little more strict than say some European resorts, but it's still worth an ask. The worst they can say is no.

But defiantly don't try and sneak any photography equipment on a ride. That will only end in embarrassment and potential delays for other guests.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Kenzie2012

That's an epic idea.... Why hasn't this ever occurred to me I don't know!!

:yohoho:
Last edited by Kenzie2012 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Hmv

I have seen people been allowed to ride with GoPro's on a chest harness thing, but if it is anything held in your hand the likely hood is that the staff won't allow it. Your best bet is to ask because it is at the discretion of the ride op and plus it saves the embarrassment of the ride been stopped if you try and sneak it on lol  :P Hope this helps  :)
fiftysevenstudio

At this moment it is impossible to gain permission even if you have proper risk assessment and public liability insurance in place.
Due to huge amount of requests, Alton Towers will give such permission to their target media and national broadcast only. So the only chance is to ask a ride op.
DONT LOOK DOWN

Ok thats alright I just wanted to see if it was useful if I buy it. Now I dont have to spend 200 quid instead I can have a trip to AT. Thanks for all your help guuys. :)
Being number two is just being the first to lose.
JayJay90

yeah I wouldnt advise sneaking anything on, i was on the toadstall swings and before it started i picked up my phone as i had a call looked at it and the man announced over the tanoid for me to put my phone away and i can call my mummy another time :giggle:
fiftysevenstudio

This is a man who did it (without permission)

Shame that other people had to wait longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VRaMs3n3Ko
Tom.B

I doubt it, i have seen many YT vids of rides being stopped because someone has a camera!
Boz

I have seen it happen many times, and have even been on Oblivion when some prat on the row in front of me tried to get away with it.
I've said it before an I'll say it again. As a former ride op, and as a TT Moderator, I do not condone the use of recording devices on roller coasters, and other high speed thrill rides, without the express permission of the park, and the use of suitable harnesses/mounts.
Delta79

The use of camera equipment without suitable harnesses/mounts for the rides forces. could make the equipment into a dangerous projectile. that can seriously injure people or damage ride equipment.

bensaund

The problem is some muppet will always try to get it on their phone or camera and try to get away with it.
If you go down to the woods today
DrReeve

Tommo23 wrote: I doubt it, i have seen many YT vids of rides being stopped because someone has a camera!
Thats the embarrassment of them getting the ride stopped they want to hibernate out of existance
Image credit to Lewis97
bensaund

Good and kick them out of the park too!
If you go down to the woods today
Don't_Look_Down

Hmmm, interesting one. I was at a park recently with a friend, and he was filming POV videos with a Go Pro camera on a wrist strap. The management team were far more interested in where the resulting video was going to be published...
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
code-red

Quite simply, no. You are not allowed to film on almost any of the rides at Alton Towers.

Regardless of whether of not the recording device is secure, permission has to be gained officially from the resort. Good quality POV videos are already available on youtube, that were filmed with permission from the park.

:)
Timhill

It doesn’t say you can’t in the terms and conditions so I can’t see how they can kick you out
Dan

The following has been taken from the FAQ’s section of the Alton Towers website:
CAN I FILM ON THE RIDES USING A GOPRO/OTHER FILMING EQUIPMENT?

Due to the safety of all our guests, we cannot allow anyone to film on our rides and attractions.
You can submit a request to film on board the rides, but you would need to contact the resort at least 12 days before your visit so the necessary risk assessments can be carried out, and the equipment you wish to use be inspected.
Robert.W

Asking the park in advance seems the best way to go about it, like Dan said. It's not like you've got anything to lose from asking if it's possible. Although, I suspect they will also take into account your reason for wanting to film on the rides as well as wether or not your equipment is safe to use, etc.