The Future of Katanga Canyon...?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
AndreJD

DrReeve wrote: What the area needs is to be theme big thunder mountain style. It would suit the area and when the time comes we could get a nice vekoma mine train in
But we already have a mine train! And it's doing fine! The only problems with the mine train as it stands is the lack of theming after it's left the first section. When you're soaring over the access roads and storage crates it's not doing it's "theme park" job very well. The ride itself is very good in my opinion.

The theming of the area is also good. A flat would be nice, but where would they fit it? There doesn't look to be much space anywhere. If they knocked some trees down in the section between the canyon and Duel they'd fit something in (but it's not very environmentally friendly) and if they reorganised the rapids queueline they could also put something smallish in there. I'm not quite sure what I'd reccomend for that theme though...
Phild94

AndreJD wrote:
DrReeve wrote: What the area needs is to be theme big thunder mountain style. It would suit the area and when the time comes we could get a nice vekoma mine train in
But we already have a mine train! And it's doing fine! The only problems with the mine train as it stands is the lack of theming after it's left the first section. When you're soaring over the access roads and storage crates it's not doing it's "theme park" job very well. The ride itself is very good in my opinion.

The theming of the area is also good. A flat would be nice, but where would they fit it? There doesn't look to be much space anywhere. If they knocked some trees down in the section between the canyon and Duel they'd fit something in (but it's not very environmentally friendly) and if they reorganised the rapids queueline they could also put something smallish in there. I'm not quite sure what I'd reccomend for that theme though...
How about if they put a bridge straight over the rapids waterfalls and put a flat in the middle of the lake .... something along the lines of getting sucked into a whirlpool (Samurai Thorpe park style) i've always thought they could put something great in that lake :/

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D
cookiee_munster

theres always that coach parking area just next to the area?
lf2001

I don't see the Mine Train or the Rapids going anytime soon, as they're both popular family rides.
Last edited by lf2001 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Themeparksandy1981

I would love them to build the restaurant bigger. I'm yet to eat here as there's always been a queue to just sit down and as we usually go Oct/Nov time it's too cold to sit in the outside bit.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish777

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: I would love them to build the restaurant bigger. I'm yet to eat here as there's always been a queue to just sit down and as we usually go Oct/Nov time it's too cold to sit in the outside bit.
I have eaten there everytime I have been in the past three years, no fail. We usually get a table within five minutes, and the size seems fine. Surprisingly, the outside bit is quite warm, I think there's heaters in autumn/winter as well :)
Dom

The only thing Katanga Canyon needs is to have a few more rides or attractions that enhance the area and that don't stick out like a sore thumb. There is so much potential that could be gotten to if done perfectly.
Last edited by Dom on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

Katanga Canyon is a vital, enjoyable land that hosts some of my favourite AT attractions, it's just a 20 year old theme that needs updating
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
BenBowser

As long as Katanga Canyon is still popular among families, I'm sure Merlin will keep maintaining it until it gets ignored by the public. The area is still in very good condition and thankfully wasn't changed during the 'Dark Ages'. I dont see the reason why Congo or Mine Train will need to leave, as long as they are kept in good condition and they are still popular, they can be kept for the next fifty years! Loot at the Matterhorn bobsleds at Disneyland, still popular still looks fantastic, yet is was built in 1959! No reason as to why Katanga Canyon can't stay the same.
Last edited by BenBowser on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael@

Kantanga Canyon is my least favourite part of the park. Honestly, I would like to see them re-route the area. The long path between the flume and the Runaway mine train and Rapids needs new inspiration.
In the long term however I would possibly like them to re-do the rapids. Keeping the layout the same but adding more powerful jets and theme the tunnel with modern effects.
The runaway mine train is fine how it is at the moment but in the long term future I can see it get replaced with possibly a new roller coaster with a car system similar to the new seven dwarfs mine ride in Magic kingdom.
TomL

I absolutely love Katanga Canyon, probably my most favorite area of the park. In my opinion it's a well themed area, however the space around it is not used to its full potential. I feel the area can be extended one or two ways so there is more space for attractions making it less of a walk through area.
The the areas I speak of are both currently car park space. There is an access gate leadig to a dirt path under the Runaway Mine Train and over the tunnel which leads to the overflow coach dirt car park which isnt really used, and so that is the first area which I think could prove useful for an extension.
Another area is the space to the left of the path walking up to Katanga Canyon from Mutiny Bay. This space is currently a staff car park, however I feel that the space up to the Monorail could be a good space for an attraction to go in to expand Katanga Canyon and to make that walk up there seem more interesting with more things to do. They could aldo create a new entrance/exit whuch is more pleasing to the eye for staff from the staff buildings and also for busy days such as concerts, fireworks and in the case of this year, the Christmas event.

TEAM EDIT: SPG ~ Ladyofthelake
Last edited by TomL on Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Altontowersbarlow

I am unsure if any ideas similar to this have been shared but I have come up with re-theme ideas for the existing rides in Katanga Canyon and also a new ride idea that I would like Alton Towers to create in Katanga Canyon's future. I like Katanga Canyon and I think it works well, but I thought these ideas could work.

The new roller coaster
This roller coaster would be partly indoors and resemble Dollywood's Mystery Mine. It would be built in the Katanga Canyon car park. A possible name could be Thunder Falls Mine. The storyline would be explained in the queue. The storyline is as follows: While mining for Katanga Rock the miners hit a part of the Congo Cargo river causing part of the mine to flood, however the miners have managed to escape. The aim is to asses the damage and salvage the remaining rock.
The water has been blocked off but the rickety mine is still unstable and you should be careful on your mission

The features of this ride
This ride would be similar to Th13teen but with the additional thrill of some inversions. The riders would start off in a mine shaft which is actually a lift that elevates the riders to the top of the first drop. The riders would sit at the bottom of this lift in the ride car as a voice tells them about their mission. The lift would then raise about two metres off the ground and would start to tilt side to side. The oil lamps would also be flickering on and off. After this a loud creak would be heard and a waterfall effect would turn on releasing torrents of water from the lift shaft wall. As this happens the lift would quickly ascend and stop on some block breaks at the top. While waiting a voice tells them the water has rushed into the mine and they must take the emergency shaft out of the mine. Suddenly the oil lamps would go out again and a roaring sound of water would be heard. Water effects in the cars would squirt at the riders. When the lights come back on a waterfall is seen in front of the car blocking the way out. The oil lamps turn off and the riders launch which is enhanced by water effects representing them going through the waterfall. The train proceeds through tight helixes and air time hills in mostly darkness apart from some mine equipment that is lit up. Steam sheets will also be fired in this roller coaster section, they are seen bursting out of broken pipes and cracked walls. After this section you reach a small chamber that has a second lift in it. The car stays on the lift as a voice shouts- "let's get this lift going-". After that a huge crank wheel with wires starts turning and sparks shoot out of it, the voice then says- "The mine's going to blow"-. The lift goes up the shaft quickly and sits on top of the indoor ride building. At the top of the shaft it starts shaking violently and four water fountains come out of the mine shaft. The riders go down the slope and start weaving through the discarded rocks and mine equipment while fountains erupt from the ground. The fountains represent the water coming out of the mine. The riders then return to the station.

The Runaway Mine Train
The Runaway Mine Train would be re-themed to allow it to link to the new roller coaster. The Runaway Mine Train would not keep it's current name and would be called Katanga Mine Train. It would be themed to a Katanga Rock transport system. The entrance would keep its current structure but signs saying things such as-"Danger, Katanga Rock collection point ahead" and "Warning, unsteady mine shafts" would be attached to it. The platform housing the bell would have a big pile of boulders stacked on it representing Katanga Rock. The plant beds on both sides of the entrance would have rock effects placed there along with pick axes. The station would remain the same apart from a sign reading "Mines ahead". The tunnel would have mining equipment lodged in the walls and mine scaffold scenery on the roof and walls. These are just slight adjustments as The Runaway Mine Train already has a good theme to support this idea but would need some scenery to make the connection clear.

The Congo River Rapids
The Congo River Rapids would be themed to the river that flooded the mine roller coaster and would change it's name to Congo Cargo River. The station would have Cargo boxes full of mine equipment stacked on it and would also have signs saying" Mines liable to flooding" and "Beware, river rough in bad weather". The tunnel theming is explained in The Runaway Mine Train section however in the rapids side of the tunnel there is a sign saying- "Danger, mine rupture ahead". The side of the river after the tunnel has small mine shafts and buildings scattered along it with sudden jets of water shooting out of them, although small there would be lot's of them. The waterfalls would have a rickety looking scaffold built around it so it appears that the water is pouring out of the mine, like in the mine roller coaster.

I hope you like these ideas, they are purely what I would like to see and I know that they are unlikely to happen :)
Last edited by Altontowersbarlow on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

Does the new ride have to have inversions? :(
Altontowersbarlow

Ilovecoasters wrote: Does the new ride have to have inversions? :(
No. I just included that so the ride has some different track options :)
Burniel

I think your ideas are really good, although unrealistic.

What I'd like to do:
Demolish Gloomy wood, as it serves little purpose. Extend Katanga canyon out into the site, and move Duel to the Dark Forest under a slightly altered theme to replace all the pointless stalls. Add a family wooden coaster themed around Katanga. Re-theme RMT and rapids to make them slightly more exciting, and hey presto!

There. I said it
Danny

Hahaha and what makes your idea so realistic?!?!
Burniel

It's not. ATB said his dream so I said mine.
Danny

Ilovecoasters wrote: It's not. ATB said his dream so I said mine.
Ok. The way you said it sounded like you were incinuating  that your idea was somewhat more realistic. I can't see what is unrealistic about ATB's ideas. I take it that he wants a eurofighter, or ajust a ride themed the same as mystery mine. He's using old rides and re theming which would be minimal cost and making an old area in to a brand new one. Also we know John Wardley always wanted an SW in Katanga canyon. 
rhino18

All of these ideas are unrealistic - all we're getting in Katanga Canyon is greasy, Alton-own brand burgers and 4 hour queues for a kiddie coaster.  ;)
Michael@

Altontowersbarlow, the rollercoaster you described there would have to have a show building as big as the Revenge of the Mummy building in Universal Studios- which is huge! And a lot taller than any tree I have seen in the entirety of England. I like the idea of it though. :D