The Future of Katanga Canyon...?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Liam-AltonTowers

Katanga Canyon is one of the best family themed areas in the park and contains two amazing family rides - Runaway Mine Train and Congo River Rapids. Both different and fun in their own way. This topic I created so we can discuss the future of this area and the rides within it, now we all know Katanga Canyon has no intention of leaving in the next ten years according to the LTDP but we can always discuss what may happen after that. Let's start with the Runaway Mine Train:

The Runaway Mine Train

A great family coster themed around a mine train in a very well themed African village, this coaster has been around for twenty years and is still really fun but after the next ten years a replacement ride will probably be necessary. So what could replace this coaster, some people in this forum said a brand new Maurer Söhne Spinning Coaster themed around an abandoned mine should be a replacement - obviously when Sonic Spin-ball has left the park and if it hasn't then this would not be the case. However there are many other manufactures that could build great replacements for this coaster; and anyway the theme of the coaster could stay the same and all that would need to change would be the track layout possibly...? Anyway in this forum we can discuss future changes to the ride including replacements and re-themes. Besides this ride doesn't have to be replaced with a coaster and could easily be replaced with family/thrill flats. Here are some pictures of the Runway Mine Train as it is now:

Next of the two rides in Katanga Canyon is the Congo River Rapids:

Congo River Rapids

The second of the two rides in Katanga Canyon is the Congo River Rapids and maybe not as thrilling as the Runway Mine Train it's still a ride the whole family can enjoy and is perfect for getting you soaked on a warm day. This ride's been around for quite a while too but I don't think any other type of ride should replace it, Alton Towers doesn't have many water rides apart from this and The Flume so this ride is essential in the water rides line up. Changes to this ride could be made though such as:
  • Water features such as the waterfall element towards the end of the ride are really fun and give the ride more things to think about and give it extra interest, by adding more of these in will attract more people to the ride as the queue never seems long and this ride has so much potential.
  • The track for this ride is quite long as it is but if more features were to be added the track may want to be extended or even shortened depending on the popularity of this ride over the next ten years...?
Here are some photos of the Congo River Rapids:

So everything to do with the future of this area of the park and the rides within it can be discussed in this topic - everything from replacment rides to an entire re-theme of the area maybe?
Last edited by Liam-AltonTowers on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
roary01

In my opinion i want Katanga Canyon to stay as it is in terms of rides, the area is quite a small place, and the two rides compliment the area and theming perfectly.
RMT
I have to Disagree with a replacement been found for the RMT in the next 10 years, i would like to see the queue-line theming/frontage and the ride itself given refurbishments as they become to look slightly tired, and the electrics on the track could do with replacing. However it has stood the test of time, and still attracts massive queues and give guests old and young a good thrill.
If you look at old images of the RMT frontage you will see a big difference at how open the area looks, and the extra pieces which were attracted to the wood which no longer exist. It would be nice if it was all refurbished and returned.
Rapids
As with the RMT they have stood the test of time, and are still a firm favourite with the guests, as in the UK we have the climate we have, it works well because it doesn't give people a soaking, but just enough to have a laugh. Although some improvements like more interactive parts would be good, they have started to add bits in like the pay per use water cannons which work really well. I am sure it used to have a squirt fountain before the lift, but im unsure. I would however like the station to get a repaint and some attention as areas are looking a bit tatty, maybe in future invest in themed boats too.
General Area
This is where i get annoyed, the area was a perfect size, then they build the stupid games stalls which not only look stupid, they block the frontage of the fantastically themed RMT, but also cause problems on busy days, because if RMT has a queue, Pizza Pasta has a queue, and people playing on games, you just can't get past because they take up so much space, maybe one but 3 massive stalls is far too much for an area the size of KC.
bensaund

I like the entire area the way it is, I would like the theming on the RMT to be fixed so it all works. I feel the RMT could do with some additional theming, if the circular bit of track where the train speeds up before the tunnel was covered up and made to look like your going into the mine, then have it look more like a working mine with sound effects. But I really can't see that happening, I just feel a little more theming would add to the ride.
If you go down to the woods today
CoasterCrazyChris

It's a solid family area, but it needs work to bring it back up to scratch.

The rapids needs to be drained, dredged and the concrete channel thoroughly pressure washed to remove the years of grime built up from the lakewater. The boats could do with new covers as the present yellow ones are far from aesthetically pleasing or comfortable. The station turntable needs a proper clean and a repaint and could do with extra theming to create a more immersive feel. None of this is major work and should have been done years ago.

The Runaway Mine Train is a solid family ride and has served the park very well over the past 20 years. I personally think its design merits are overrated though and after Air is probably John Wardley's weakest thematic project at Alton Towers (but still very good might I add). When all is said and done it remains a standard Mack powered coaster with inconsistent theming. The facade and bridge over the rapids is impressive and demonstrates a great use of ride interaction but this is the only special feature about the ride. The station platform is entirely themeless and exposed. The helixes before the tunnel are hidden away behind a fence and trees where riders are treated to impressive views of the access road and park rubbish bins. The tunnel is simply a tin shed constructed over the rapids and considering it forms a major part of both attractions within Katanga Canyon should be better themed. It should at least resemble a mine.

The Katnga Canyon area itself is very small and suffers from a lack of space and amenities. The game stall need to be removed and that area in front of the mine train returned to a seating area to provide more space again and improve the area flow.  Many of the theming touches and details in the area have been lost over the years and this is one thing they shold really work on getting back - I have never seen the steam engine work at the front of the mine train in recent years.

The only major change I would make to the area would be an expansion into the service area by the tunnel. Plans once surfaced for an African themed interactive adventure playground and the best place to build it would be on the roof of that tunnel. There could be great potential for more non rider interaction with the mine train and would provide a sorely needed expansion to this great family area. You can see the area I mean in this picture:

Image Taken from TowersTimes closed season gallery.
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liam-AltonTowers

I agree with everyone about new theming on the Runway Mine Train but this topic does say the future so all I was meaning was in the next fifteen years the Runaway Mine Train will have defiantly come to the end of it's life and may just need a brand new one exactly like it from Mack...? Who know's, I was only suggesting an idea.

DrReeve

when it does depart i would not like to see the same one or similar coaster. I would prefer a new family coaster tha adds something new to the park
Image credit to Lewis97
Liam-AltonTowers

DrReeve wrote: when it does depart i would not like to see the same one or similar coaster. I would prefer a new family coaster tha adds something new to the park
That's what I was thinking, like some kind of family coaster but maybe built by a different manufacturer.

kierannewcombe

I like Katanga Canyon. The whole area is themed well and I cant see both of the rides being replaced for a while yet. I agree the tunnel on the RMT is a bit plain and boring so a bit of themeing and audio would add to the ride experience! 8)

Credit to Lewis97
Marcus

I think in the next 20 years or so in Katanga Canyon we will see a replacement for the RMT with a similar or exactly same layout but maybe longer and just extra little theming. The C.R.R will be there for a while aswell.
Liam-AltonTowers

Marcus Assab wrote: I think in the next 20 years or so in Katanga Canyon we will see a replacement for the RMT with a similar or exactly same layout but maybe longer and just extra little theming. The C.R.R will be there for a while aswell.
I'd say in about ten years the Runaway Mine Train will be replaced or updated in some way because by that time it's life span will have been thirty years and as we all know with the corkscrew it's life was thirty years and then it departed from the park so I can definitely see the same happening with the Runaway Mine Train.

SuperWill

I think Katanga Canyon should stay for the next few years! It is a good area and I think it will be re-themed in like 15-20 years time!
P.S Is it me or does every ride/area have a "The Future of..." topic? I'm only saying...
:D

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
bensaund

DrReeve wrote: when it does depart i would not like to see the same one or similar coaster. I would prefer a new family coaster tha adds something new to the park
The RMT does add something to the park IMO. Even if they replaced it with an identical replacement ride, this is an ideal family coaster, also if you have been on it in the dark in Scarefest its so much better. Add some theming to it, but apart from that there is nothing wrong, if it aint broke, don't fix it. I would rather the 10 Million or whatever a replacement would cost, to be spent somewhere else in the park, like on another dark ride or something.
If you go down to the woods today
Liam-AltonTowers

Here's my ideal plan for the Runaway Mine Train in the next ten years:

2014: In 2014 the station of the Runaway Mine Train should become a proper building based on mine - there could be a pre-show area in the queue line showing you animatronics working in the mine and there could be small caves dipping underground where the carts would go. Then you could enter the main station building which would have creaking walls and it would look like you were at the bottom of a mine shaft.

2015: More theming elements added such as:
  • The entire cave/tunnel should be renovated so in contains light and sound effects. 
  • An extra tunnel should be added somewhere along the track; possibly at the start all around the helix so it's like your coming out of the mine...?
  • Some more interactions with the guests so possibly water cannons.
  • As you can see from the picture below this part of the track and it's surroundings don't look very appealing and a bit dirty so more tress should be planted and even some fake African style trees to fit in the theme of an African themed village.

2022: By this time the Runaway Mine Train will have been operating for thirty years and just like the Corkscrew will have probably come to the end of it's life, meaning a replacement might be a more sensible and safer option to ensure passengers are enjoying the ride rather than it been rough like the corkscrew was when it came to the end of it's life. Obviously all the features such as the station, the two tunnels and all the interaction and theming will be kept just the track that will go.  It's replacement would be good if it was some kind of Vekoma Custom Mine Train like Expedition Everest at Disney World Florida but obviously not as tall. Just look at the train designs:

These cars really do look like proper mine carts and would look fantastic at Alton Towers. Here's a link to the Vekoma website explaining the Custom Mine Train - http://www.vekoma.com/index.php/family- ... on-everest.

sweedish2009

Nothing would please me more than to see something on the scale of Expedition Everest. However if we are honest with ourselves we will never see something of that scale in the UK.

Family roller coasters (if looked after) can last for years and years. A simple refurb every so often can freshen up the ride and give it a new lease of life. Nothing as drastic as removing it and replacing it will happen in the next 20 years.

Its a perfect family ride. Thirteen is in the same category, and also very similar to Everest, just on a much smaller scale.

I fully agree with the area needing a 'spruce'. Interactive elements are the in thing these days, Disney are doing it to death at the moment. But it works!
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
Marcus

Runaway Mine Train

I think the RMT is amazingly themed as it is, look at the bridge where the ride goes on its nicely themed so nothing really needs doing. The rocks and beautiful scenery (bushes, grass tree's etc) really help aswell with the theming. Station IMO is fine but could maybe have some tidying up.

The area with the 2nd helix and before you go into the tunnel (picture below) needs some tidying up: maybe atleast hide the bins, however I don't think you can see them on-ride anyway. Some tiny extra theming and tidying needed.

Congo River Rapids

Queue line is great with the recently built kiosk, new wood covering the bridge. The rocks next to the rapids river itself looks great next to the greenery and the water. Like someone else said it really needs to be drained and jet wash the concrete sides because its just yuck.
Liam-AltonTowers

I think the Runaway Mine Trains's replacement should not be a family coaster and it should be a thrill coaster however like Thirteen so a thrill coaster for the whole family. Expedition Everest is very tall and obviously nothing like that could be built at Alton Towers but you could build a Vekoma Custom Mine Train with a maximum height of 60 feet just like Thirteen. I mean how can you not resist those train designs!

DrReeve

LiamLovesRollercoasters! wrote: I think the Runaway Mine Trains's replacement should not be a family coaster and it should be a thrill coaster however like Thirteen so a thrill coaster for the whole family. Expedition Everest is very tall and obviously nothing like that could be built at Alton Towers but you could build a Vekoma Custom Mine Train with a maximum height of 60 feet just like Thirteen. I mean how can you not resist those train designs!
In my opinion thirteen is a family coaster not a thrill ride.
Image credit to Lewis97
Liam-AltonTowers

DrReeve wrote:
LiamLovesRollercoasters! wrote: I think the Runaway Mine Trains's replacement should not be a family coaster and it should be a thrill coaster however like Thirteen so a thrill coaster for the whole family. Expedition Everest is very tall and obviously nothing like that could be built at Alton Towers but you could build a Vekoma Custom Mine Train with a maximum height of 60 feet just like Thirteen. I mean how can you not resist those train designs!
In my opinion thirteen is a family coaster not a thrill ride.
Well in Alton Towers opinion it's classed as a thrill ride so were just gonna have to put up with it!

JayJay90

off topic, id say Thirteen bridges the gap between family and thrill its like the step up, its nice and gentle, not stupidly high with a bit of a thrilling unexpected drop.

its such a good area thats themed well throughout and i love the interaction between RMT and the CRR so i hope that if there is a replacement it holds this in place and still has that element to the ride.

i also like the addition to the new water pistols so you can pay £1 to splash people coming up by the part with the water falls its good fun :)
Liam-AltonTowers

JayJay90 wrote: off topic, id say Thirteen bridges the gap between family and thrill its like the step up, its nice and gentle, not stupidly high with a bit of a thrilling unexpected drop.
I agree with you totally cause it is like a mixture of family/thrill coaster even though on the Alton Towers map and website it states it's a thrill ride. I would like the Runaway Mine Train's replacement to be like this so a bit like Expedition Everest at Disney World Florida but obviously no were near as tall as it but but go to this website you can see how good the trains look and read what a brilliant ride it is: http://www.vekoma.com/index.php/family- ... on-everest.