The Future of Katanga Canyon...?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
JayJay90

yeah id like to see something like that, something similar to the mine train we have already but with a bit more of an umph lol
Liam-AltonTowers

So what does everyone think of the Congo River Rapids, if they were replaced what kind of replacement would you want...?

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
Marcus

In replacement I would just like to see a similar ride put place but different model. And maybe some extra Katanga Canyon theming along with it.
AdrenalineAlex

LiamLovesRollercoasters! wrote:
JayJay90 wrote: off topic, id say Thirteen bridges the gap between family and thrill its like the step up, its nice and gentle, not stupidly high with a bit of a thrilling unexpected drop.
I agree with you totally cause it is like a mixture of family/thrill coaster even though on the Alton Towers map and website it states it's a thrill ride. I would like the Runaway Mine Train's replacement to be like this so a bit like Expedition Everest at Disney World Florida but obviously no were near as tall as it but but go to this website you can see how good the trains look and read what a brilliant ride it is: http://www.vekoma.com/index.php/family- ... on-everest.
Have a look at Big Grizzly Mountain I believe it's called, Disneyland Tokyo I think, it's like Expedition Everest but it's not particularly tall and utilises the use of launches and airtime hills etc.
Kenzie2012

I hope this area doesn't change in anyway major. I actually can't see any other theme taking over the area tbh, an expansion would be good for it, i think this can be said for every area of the park as well as the main thing............. It needs a good few rounds with the paintbrush to get it looking cheery and fun again.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Luce

If CRR were to be changed in some way, it would be nice to see themed boats as the current yellow isn't particularly African.  However KC is still a very well themed area and one that has fitted in with the countryside well.
Kenzie2012

Now thats an idea id never thought of... A slight tweak to the layout of the Rapids would be brilliant.
I find the section from the photo to the end a bit lame.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Liam-AltonTowers

As a replacemtn for the Congo River Rapids I'd like to see something along the lines of a ride called: Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges - at Universal's Islands of Adventure. Here are some photos:

Last edited by Liam-AltonTowers on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liam-AltonTowers

AdrenalineAlex wrote: Have a look at Big Grizzly Mountain I believe it's called, Disneyland Tokyo I think, it's like Expedition Everest but it's not particularly tall and utilises the use of launches and airtime hills etc.
Sorry to double post but I have just watched a P.O.V. for a ride in Disneyland Tokyo called Big Grizzly Mountain and it was awesome. If we ever saw a replacement for the Runaway Mine Train as good as that I would be so happy. It looks perfect as well and would be great for Alton Towers as it's not very tall which is good for Alton Towers and it incorporates amazing features like a backwards section and a launch all in one coaster. Here's some shots of the ride in action.

The coaster at various points on the track:

The coaster's really good train design:

The train going round a corner:

The coaster as it passes by the viewing area just after the launch section, there are also some water features:

As you can see here on the right, that bit of track is where the car reverses from the backwards section into that building. Then just like the ending of Thirteen the track changes course and on the left of the photo - that bit of track is the launch track where the car is sent zooming out of that building.

cookiee_munster

the Grizzly Gulch coaster is from Disneyland in Hong Kong and was part of an extended area development. you should watch POV's of the ride on youtube, its a really good ride.

You mentioned the Bilge-Rat Barges rapids ride. ive been on that, and as good as it is, considering our crappy weather in the UK, it just wouldn't be suitable, you come off that ride completely soaked.

if the mine train were to ever be replaced, id actually like to see it replaced with the ever brought up wooden rollercoaster, just so everyone would shut up about the park needing one. there's a narrow carpark area to the back of the land, maybe could incorporate part of the coaster into that area?

if the area were to have a retheme, id like it to have more of a mayan/south american theme incorporating more water elements.
schmatt

Might be a long shot but with Ripsaw standing on it's last legs I would love an indoor top spin in KC with a similar backstory and effects to that of tomb raider (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0kA9koPeW8) The ride could be placed on the overflow coach park with the queue enclosed on the pathway up to it. I feel dark rides is the direction Alton is moving with flats as they offer a much more 'main attraction' feel as apposed to filler ones. With the theming of Kings Island's tomb raider and this ride type: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=4F6iz8poCx8 I feel this would be one of Alton's best rides and compete heavily with Hex for best dark ride, but also with the coasters. Multiple ride patterns would also be a plus for re-ridability!

Alternatively I can see the area being used for Robo-coasters themed similarly to the 'rock-blasting' theme considered for th13teen/Dark Forest which I wouldn't mind, as long as there are enough for a good capacity. Could they not use the 4 seat models used on the Harry Potter ride? Image
bensaund

I do feel that they should squeeze another ride into KC, not sure which one but I feel it just needs another ride.
If you go down to the woods today
Henry

I think that they should put in more theming around the Runaway Mine Train, around the helix area where all you can see is track and supports.
On Congo River Rapids, more water effects should be added and my dream is for them to refurbish it and make a waterfall, that would be so cool.

Another option is to retheme Katanga Canyon to a wacky, unreal area and make Congo similar to Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges at Universal Studios, if you don't know what it is, watch this,

Runaway Mine Train could also be rethemed with wacky, oversized things everywhere.
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
Themeparksandy1981

Another option is to retheme Katanga Canyon to a wacky, unreal area and make Congo similar to Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges at Universal Studios, if you don't know what it is, watch this,

Runaway Mine Train could also be rethemed with wacky, oversized things everywhere.

[/quote

I love that ride and it be good if they theme it better so you getting attacked and Africians firing water at you around the course with the odd fire effects in sections.
Heisenberg96

I think Katanga will always be the same, many people don't go there because they hear runaway mine train and river rapids and go 'oh god no.' If people gave it enough attention it could easily be one of my favourite sections of the park. But apart from families there is no solid ground for any other age group and this needs to be incorporated. For example, a ride like samurai or slammer would work really well as long as themeing was sufficient. Still, I think Katanga java dark horse in my eyes
cookiee_munster

Heisenberg96 wrote: many people don't go there because they hear runaway mine train and river rapids and go 'oh god no.'
... sorry, what???
Heisenberg96

cookiee_munster wrote:
Heisenberg96 wrote: many people don't go there because they hear runaway mine train and river rapids and go 'oh god no.'
... sorry, what???
Oh come on, you know who I mean. People that come to the park for big scares and adrenaline hear the name 'River Rapids' and are instantly put off. I do think people need to appreciate the more relaxed rides more, but it is the case that big ride goers don't take time out for the smaller, less intense rides.
Trumpet

Personally, I would keep it but create a better theme, such as near the entrance to the tunnel.
"Science is not an exact Science"

Rick and Morty - 2014
Dom

katanga canyon is my favourite themed area. i think what they need to do is revitalise the themeing and expand it somehow. the long walkway from mutiny bay to katanga canyon could do with something. but not quite sure what would a.fit and b. fit in with the area
DrReeve

What the area needs is to be theme big thunder mountain style. It would suit the area and when the time comes we could get a nice vekoma mine train in
Image credit to Lewis97