People Smoking Outside Of Designated Areas

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
scw55

^ Some-what agree. There must be a reason why when users 'defending' smoking there's an edge to the tone.

I don't see why people smoke in areas where it's literally impossible to avoid them; public eating areas, areas where people wait. Likewise you shouldn't complain about people smoking if you're near a designated smoking area. The consideration should swing both sides.

The point raised about the 'smell' of smoking and that of farting and burping is interesting. Yes both are unpleasant. But usually the chemics asociated with smoke (I assume) is more troublesome to health than burps or farts. And usually (you hope) people don't fart or burp on purpose. It just happens.

Also with regards to unpleasant smells. Smoking smell is the only smell that causes me to cough quite violently. I don't do it on purpose, as I feel self-conscious. I feel like the smoker might think I am over-doing it because I am a twit and causing a scene. I really have that adverse reaction to cigarette smoke. I live in a rural area with a lot of agriculture and you do often smell some really horrendous things like slurry being spread on the fields or burning lifestock during the foot and mouth crisis. I can safely say that I find Cigarette smoke much more unpleasant than that. At least I can not breath through my nose with those scents. I can do that with cigarette smoke, but then I still have my violent coughings. I think I went on a slightly aggressive tone then. I apologise to users who were originally aggressive themselves.
TB2

KJ91 wrote: Said it once, ill say again. these types of topics will never be able to be discussed civil because it is a blatant personal attack on smokers.
Disagree on the basis that it's not like your sexuality or race or religion is being personally attacked, it was presumably your choice to begin smoking cigarettes, so you take the slack for it. The parks have obviously had complaints about smoking in open areas and have gone down the designated smoking route. You may see it as a vicious insult on your human rights but the park are trying to do the best for all their guests, smoking or non smoking. As you said, you are considerate to others when smoking, why not be considerate to other peoples viewpoints in this topic as there is a discussion to be had here.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

KJ91

You may see it as a vicious insult on your human rights but the park are trying to do the best for all their guests, smoking or non smoking. As you said, you are considerate to others when smoking, why not be considerate to other peoples viewpoints in this topic as there is a discussion to be had here.
[/quote]

My issue isnt the fact that these DSA are implemented. It the fact that a discussion is set up to discuss how much smokers are hated and how disgusting it is. What im trying to get across is I dont agree with a discussion being made about a certain group of society. We are labeled as smokers so you will get the same defence as what you would if you brought race, sexuality or religion into an argument.

:D i have added the smiley face to lighten the post, as i have been told i can come across as antagonistic and arragant when i write and that is not what i am trying to do.
Boz

Whilst you may believe the discussion was set up to "slag off Smokers" I don't think anyone here has done so. All I have seen so far is an adult conversation about whether or not DSA's are necessary, and if they are, what can be done to enforce them.
I don't personally believe there was anything to justify your rant at other members above, which is why I posted the warning.

Anyway, Back on topic please :)
Last edited by Boz on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattsDesigns

scw55 wrote: The point raised about the 'smell' of smoking and that of farting and burping is interesting. Yes both are unpleasant. But usually the chemics asociated with smoke (I assume) is more troublesome to health than burps or farts. And usually (you hope) people don't fart or burp on purpose. It just happens.
I have actually seen people in my life and I'm personally acquainted with some who have burped and farted at WILL, even as a statement. I have heard many burps now, when walking through town, that are both so LOUD and so apathetic that it seems to express deep seated frustrations of life.

But anyway, back on topic.
Burping and farting is healthy, wheres as breathing and emitting smoke isn't. Infact I think those who discourage smoking are caring for the smoker but they don't say that because the smokers usually come back saying "its my lungs, I can do what I wan't". This attitude seems to say that you are ready to sever yourself from a person that has expressed consideration for you in order to keep smoking which is kind of cruel. I know you suffer from want but its not that strong.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Rob
Admin
Admin

Coke wrote:
DoubleOh7 wrote: Its a shame alton cant bring in 'smoking fines' for people say caught smoking in queue lines? It would soon put a stop to it!
According to the park terms & conditions there is a fine! I've never seen it implemented though. I find it incredibly hypocritical also that the park continue to sell cigarettes in Towers Trading and X-Sell.

Should you have an issue with a smoker in a queue, inform a staff member - they are obliged to enforce the park rules.
Alton Towers can't fine anyone only the police or authorised local authorities ie. traffic wardens can fine people.
scw55

MattsDesigns wrote:
scw55 wrote: The point raised about the 'smell' of smoking and that of farting and burping is interesting. Yes both are unpleasant. But usually the chemics asociated with smoke (I assume) is more troublesome to health than burps or farts. And usually (you hope) people don't fart or burp on purpose. It just happens.
I have actually seen people in my life and I'm personally acquainted with some who have burped and farted at WILL, even as a statement. I have heard many burps now, when walking through town, that are both so LOUD and so apathetic that it seems to express deep seated frustrations of life.
Then that is anti-social behaviour and should be treated accordingly.

If Alton Towers has a policy of enforcing designated smoking areas then they should enforce it. Ignoring it just comes across (ironic?). Regardless of the politics.
They should also not sell cigarettes as you'd hope the visitors being so dedicated with the hobby would bring enough for themselves/buy them en-route. It's a family park. Why are you selling cigarettes? (Should also not sell alcohol if they do. I haven't visited in 7 years).
Last edited by scw55 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattsDesigns

I don't think they sell cigarettes. Imagine if they sold Air themed cigarettes at the Air shop? That would be priceless.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Themeparksandy1981

My main problem with smokers is the ones who smoke drugs. I can smell it quite strongly in Rita queueline. It is against the law to smoke in enclosed spaces and queue lines are classed as this.
RAFFATOWERS

Hi all :) Am a smoker myself, and wouldn't dream of lighting up in queues or eating places. When I have smoked in the park, it would always be in wide open spaces(very discreetly). Went to scarefest and seen a lot of smoking in the queues after dark, this is really bad and should definitely be enforced.  Going forward I won't be smoking, unless in the DSA (if I can find them). If there off the beaten track, then I can just do without as every second counts in my busy ride time day  :D

Just to add could smell Drugs all over the park at scarefest, Big No No should have sniffer dogs at the entrance.
Last edited by RAFFATOWERS on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bensaund

Smoking is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it.

As a non-smoker myself, I can't stand it, smoking in queue lines is not on, also you may disagree with me, there is nothing more I can't stand that walking from one area to another and there is a smoker in front and the smoke is coming in my face.

If anything many smokers can be very selfish, getting their fix of nicotine at the expense of others. I understand it is an addiction. Smoking may have been around for hundreds of years, but it doesn't mean it is right.

To put it another way, if I was to let of a stink bomb, guests would hate it and that is one of the only ways I can describe to a smoker what it is like when they light up. I fully support the DSA and the law for the ban on smoking inside.

To be fair most people at Alton smoke in quiet areas and the DSA, Thorpe is the worst place for smokers as people are packed in so tightly and to be honest the type of customer who goes to Thorpe will light up regardless if a member of staff is telling them not to do so over the PA.

The simple fact is we are not going to win on this topic, smokers will always want to smoke and guests who don't smoke will want clean air, we just have to get the happy balance and I believe Alton have tried this with the DSA.

How do you resolve a problem like this, well apart from having the smoking police out which in turn will be bad for customer service, there is very little we can do. It is illegal to smoke in company vehicles, but the number of van and lorry drivers I see smoking and getting away with it. At the end of the day if a smoker can get away with a crafty fag, they are going to do it.
If you go down to the woods today
Delta79

bensaund wrote: If anything many smokers can be very selfish, getting their fix of nicotine at the expense of others.
I would say there is group of smokers that are selfish. This same group don't think or care about how smoking affect other around them. I get it at work, we have rules about smoking around the doors of the building. and the amount of time i have been verbally abused for telling them to move way is massive 
bensaund wrote: To be fair most people at Alton smoke in quiet areas and the DSA, Thorpe is the worst place for smokers as people are packed in so tightly and to be honest the type of customer who goes to Thorpe will light up regardless if a member of staff is telling them not to do so over the PA.
So Alton Towers smoking problem is not as bad as other parks in the uk. Can someone give a logical explanation on why thorpe has more of a smoking in crowded area problem than Alton? 
LPAJ13

As a smoker myself since the age of 17 I personally would not light up in a non smoking area. Every time i wanna smoke at towers, i will always go to a designated smoking area. Even in the designated smoking area, I will always try and blow my smoke away from someone else smoking as I find that polite to other smokers.

Trying to implement a rule cross park concerning smoking in queue lines and only smoking in designated areas will probably not work unless security is a visible presence within the park and stop people smoking whilst walking. Can you see though the headlines now if that did happen for the first couple of months? "Security staff ruined my day at Alton Towers for smoking between areas". Bad publicity at the moment is not what any tourist attraction wants.

Then there is the other side to it. Current legislation (UK Law) says that you can not by law smoke in an indoor space and that smoking areas cant be more than 3 sides covered. People who smoke in queues could argue that they are obeying uk law ie, smoking in a well ventilated space as queue lines are not covered on more than 3 sides.

Another way to look at it is that a theme park could ban anyone who smokes from entering the park. More negative headlines.
Delta79 wrote: Can someone give a logical explanation on why thorpe has more of a smoking in crowded area problem than Alton?
Chavs, innit!
Its not what ya take out that works, its what you put in that makes it work
scw55

Then make all queue indoors and surrounded by 3 walls.
Ambiguity solved. But is it down to the Park's discretion if they don't want you smoking in the lines. You're guests on the Park's land. The Park has the right to kick you out if they want.
Last edited by scw55 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
KJ91

There are smokers out there that are selfish, and even as a smoker, in a queue line I dont like it when people light up because it is to confined. And NEVER where I can see that children will be getting a back lash from the smoke.  That is why when in public places I dont do it in crowded areas.

Agreed smokers are like marmite and unfortunately this is a topic that no body will ever agree on, its an agree to disagree subject < (if smokers are considerate)

I can see why alton put DSA's in place, wether or not I fully agree to them as I dont see the harm in smoking inbetween park areas (where quite) or sat on the field by the lake or when walking through the gardens. I never throw the tab on the floor, i all ways stump out and bin.

So to summerize. I dont really agree with segregating smokers all together in a DSA, but asking smokers to be considerate when we do light up.
Vanessa Feltz

Delta79 wrote: Can someone give a logical explanation on why thorpe has more of a smoking in crowded area problem than Alton? 
They have no Non-Smoking policy, except from, don't smoke in queues.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
CJH

I and other people pay a lot to get in, since I have not got a map any more, I will smoke out of areas! Not in quelines or outside food places! But at the end of the day I know Alton can ask you to stop but if you say no they can't force you to because you are outside! I know this from working there few seasons back! Open air no law = me smoking
Chris 21 Manchester
Kenzie2012

MattsDesigns wrote: I don't think they sell cigarettes. Imagine if they sold Air themed cigarettes at the Air shop? That would be priceless.
They do sell cigarettes on park in several locations....... Theres a huge cabinet in the Air shop.

Not themed though  :D
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Themeparksandy1981

Kenzie2012 wrote:
MattsDesigns wrote: I don't think they sell cigarettes. Imagine if they sold Air themed cigarettes at the Air shop? That would be priceless.
They do sell cigarettes on park in several locations....... Theres a huge cabinet in the Air shop.

Not themed though  :D
Are they on display? I thought it was against the law now to show cigarettes
b2311e

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
Are they on display? I thought it was against the law now to show cigarettes
They're on display in Towers Trading and the shop that the Sea Life exits into, can't think of anywhere else though, but they are there.