2012 fireworks

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
nicolah

Has anybody seen this years fireworks and what do you think  ?
nicola hunter
quackers

They were very good, best fireworks display i have ever seen, but this was my first time seeing them at Alton Towers.
Kenzie2012

I saw them last night, typical Alton style left me thinking...... Where's the rest?!?!

The music was awful, the speakers sounded as if they were straining for power. The music kept lowering for a few seconds and going back to normal but this was every few seconds on and off.
I was expecting some massive fireworks to go off but there was only a few really and even they weren't that impressive. It seemed as if some weren't set up right as quite a few towards the end of the show were coming back down before hey exploded.
As much as I thought the fireworks were a bit lam, the timing to music was brilliant and the lights were Awsome. The House itself looked brilliant all the way through the show and the lazers added to it too.... I loved the finale most!!!

My big annoyance was the story???

The lack of should I say, where was the tie in to SW7 or the WOW factor?
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
onair

I was a bit disappointed with them. Lasers were good, if you have not seen towers firework display before I imagine it would be wow.
Just felt the music was terrible mix., one long boring mix. Actually did not think there many large shells too.

Alton really needs to go back to being more creative. As I think this year throughout had been one of those years to forget about.

Really think they need to get some new people in the towers, as this has been dire. The park looked messy last night. Lighting was poor. And the amount of rubbish on the floor and tables in the towers street  restaurant was a disgrace.

I have been a huge fan and still am of the towers for years and am not normally critical but this year was meh...
oliviamae

To be fair, if you were disappointed with Alton's fireworks, you're not going to be satisfied with any display. I honestly think that, at times, people expect a little too much from AT.
quackers

How odd, i loved the music.
PeteB

oliviamae wrote: To be fair, if you were disappointed with Alton's fireworks, you're not going to be satisfied with any display. I honestly think that, at times, people expect a little too much from AT.
Have you seen the shows they did between 1990 and 2006?
jayson2125

I went last night and the show was fantastic..

If you are not going or just want to see the whole show I made a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrciZIEkbu8

Many many thanks to Lewis97 for my signature file.
Themeparksandy1981

The biggest problem now is music that's out nowadays is rubbish. Last years music lineup was better.
Jammydodger

I really get the vibe they're not really allowed to have any massive shells going off any more.
I'd suspect Merlin most definitely have contact with some of the best firework providers in the country, considering at the London Eye they must work closely with the council when its used so heavily for New Years. I can't see any other reason as to why their shows are so tame and quiet these days, when we know they can do better.
onair

I have been to most of the displays over the years but just feel this one was not one of the best. Even the crowd at the end still stood there as if is that it ?? No buzz like last years or the year before. Wish they would go back to some kind of story, its more magical.

And yes there were not many big shells. My main dig is the music used, Alton goes on so much about being a family park and there was not a variety of music for the family last night.

Last years show flowed better I thought and had more variety. I would like to know what firework company they used this year ?

The British fireworks championships tho not set to music are one of the best in the UK currently now i would say.

I was actually surprised how it was not that busy on park this year, many of the overflow car parks were not in use.

As mentioned in my previous post the state of the Towers Street Restaurant was shocking. The staff member that I assume was supposed to be cleaning the area just walked past food left on tables and all over the floor. We sat there for 40 mins and it was still all there when we left. 2nd to disney Merlin well not with these standards.

In all enjoyed our day but we all said it was not one of their best shows.
Last edited by onair on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
epcot1982

Has early ride time been running on the fireworks days? I'm going tomorrow.
Vkumar3908

No sadly :(
jackgcse

It was a fantastic display, I feel it beat London 2012 NYE display, and I have done that for many years, but the anticipation was great, and the display was simply dazzling, 25 minutes of fireworks, lasers and lights, the Towers were stunning, and the music fitted the pieces, and was a very very strong display!
We were right at the front and it was fantastic to feel the bass from the speakers, however it probably got a bit muffled further back! Oh well...I went on Friday, and the park was dead, longest queue was an hour, the rest were all around 30 minutes! Incredible, thinking it was fireworks!
The fireworks this year were worth the full entrance price alone, in my opinion far better than Scarefest!
johnbroom

this is one of my favorite firework shows love the music and the special effects are amazing
DavidRock

Just got back from my Saturday Night stop over in Splash landings and a Sunday in the Waterpark  :D

I think the fireworks were good but not great (still the best i have been too thoiugh) my partner and her children think it was awesome  :D

Like many people have said it lacks a story/theme
PeteB wrote:
oliviamae wrote: To be fair, if you were disappointed with Alton's fireworks, you're not going to be satisfied with any display. I honestly think that, at times, people expect a little too much from AT.
Have you seen the shows they did between 1990 and 2006?
I have been to every display at Alton Towers since 1998 and they dont make them like they used to ...... damn that makes me sound old.

I would have to say i enjoyed the following...

1998 - Good Vs Evil..... the oblivion themed display pyrotechnics are awesome
2000/1999 - The millenium theme where big ben stopped and we had to cheer to enter the new millenium.
2002 - The Elements battle (AIR Theme) the Water theme with the face in the lake spay was immense
2205?? - i think this was the Electric Towers one but i may be wrong?? - The conductor going through the music with him on a big screen was also good.

There was a slight theme in 2010 with the Th13teen opening to the fireworks ...

The last 2 displays have just felt like fieworks and music (some music not that good)  but i will say this when the last track kicks in with In The Hall Of The Mountain King the goosebumps do get going and the Magic is back.

sad thing is now the two words i hate to speak and have to mention its  :( CLOSE SEASON  :( 

Roll on 16th March 2013
CA2000

Refer to my post in trip planning and reports for my review of the day and also the fireworks.

I went on the Friday and felt the same..... is that it ?

For those of you who experienced your first display this year at AT and thought it was amazing, that's great I'm glad you had a good time...... however I'm sorry you never experienced the late 90's and 2000's.

Proper preshow entertainment, flaming stick dancers, loud music, lights everywhere, proper themed storyline to the fireworks with video projected onto a fountain ! Amazing it was.
jackgcse

I think you guys are missing the point of today's current climate...its not a free for all with money, and just look at London Displays for New Years Eve...they have all got smaller, but they are spectacular, they are not going to do anything else for extra money, when it already gets capacity 28,000 people in the park...why should they!? To be honest, they wont if they don't have to, so unless there is a decline in popularity, it will stay!
It by far beats any other display in the UK, on a general basis!
onair

jackgcse wrote: It by far beats any other display in the UK, on a general basis!
Hmn British Fireworks championships were better than Alton this year  :)
Vkumar3908

One of the employees told us that there were 19,000 people in the park on saturday and on sunday, there were only 9,000