2013 Scarefest

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

which scaremaze had the longest queue times

zombies scarezone
No votes
the sanctuary
8%
terror of the towers
17%
the carnival of screams
67%
none( refer to below)
8%

Total votes: 12
Liam B

bit of a good find! Very nice video showing the inside of the sanctuary and the end of TOTT. I'm wondering is that bit at the beginning what they did for the intro at the start of this year? Or is this brand new and a sneak peak into what it will be this year?

tallicay2k

Jammydodger wrote: It would appear Thorpe Park have just taken a massive steaming dump on Alton Towers.
http://thorpepark.com/frightnights/

A Universal style event vs. 3 Rehashed mazes. Hmmm....
Alton Towers have some explaining to do.
Why should they? Both parks are owned by the same company..perhaps they are focusing on Thorpe park this year.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
altontowerskid

tallicay2k wrote:
Jammydodger wrote: It would appear Thorpe Park have just taken a massive steaming dump on Alton Towers.

Why should they? Both parks are owned by the same company..perhaps they are focusing on Thorpe park this year.
I understand what you're saying - but there is no need to be "focusing" on certain attractions during special events. A world class entertainments company, such as Merlin, should be investing heavily in special events at their biggest attraction year-on-year. It is extremely disappointing that the Towers do not have more lined up for this years Scarefest.

Our group of 12 have decided on Thorpe over Alton for the first time in 5 years.
Lucieloo

altontowerskid wrote:
tallicay2k wrote:

I understand what you're saying - but there is no need to be "focusing" on certain attractions during special events. A world class entertainments company, such as Merlin, should be investing heavily in special events at their biggest attraction year-on-year. It is extremely disappointing that the Towers do not have more lined up for this years Scarefest.

Our group of 12 have decided on Thorpe over Alton for the first time in 5 years.

Oh well you may well be missing out then. The Smiler in the dark for example.. Cannot wait!!
Its up to the individual of course but i'm sure they will do the best they can with the money they have got. People seem to forget that the world isn't what it was 10 or even 5 years ago. The country is in debt and everyone is suffering.. I'm sure they will make an effort this year. They have already changed the times back to the normal 9:00pm closing so someone is listening to what people want!
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
Danny

Incase nobody has been paying attention to social media tonight, the actor who played the role of Dr Kelman in The Sanctuary has confirmed he will be reprising his role this year. I can't wait to experience the new/old casts this year and see how they compare with last year.
bensaund

altontowerskid wrote:
tallicay2k wrote:

I hope eveyone else have this opinion as this will mean that Thorpe will be absolutely rammed (don't forget the thousands and thousands of free annual passes they have given away to guests who have paid full price or for guests who have opted to pay the full entry price in exchange for a Thorpe annual pass)

I'm looking forward to Alton being a little less quiet and everyone heading for Thorpe  :lol:
If you go down to the woods today
Ripsaw Raver

So on my visit to AT on Thursday, I asked in the Box Office about the Extreme Versions of the mazes. From what I was told these will most likely be the final run of the the day through each maze and with about 12 tickets per day available. To me this is a bit of let down. For anyone hoping to do all three extreme versions it would seem that:

1)Your're going to have to be very quick to get your tickets.
2)If you're only there one day, you're only going to be able to do one extreme version.

Now in Merlin style I do expect there to be more than just the last run through as they will be missing extra revenue. But really I do hope there is more of a chance to get in this but I fear people won't due to the seriously low amount of tickets per day.
Last edited by Ripsaw Raver on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Count-Vonduel

It seems to me that this year they have gone all out with the mazes and revamped all three of them (my favourate being the Jack Nife CoS revamp)

Should I start to speculate or will you?
I was going to have a pic of Hobs Pit but I forgot how to make pics show up :(
JessicaAlex

Is entry for TOTT free again this year? On the website, it doesn't imply that its free! Xx
[glow][/glow][align=][/align]Best ride ever: Nemesis
Runner up: The Smiler :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Ladyofthelake

JessicaAlex wrote: Is entry for TOTT free again this year? On the website, it doesn't imply that its free! Xx
TOTT is going to be a paid scare maze this year along with The Sanctuary. Carnival of Screams and Zombie Scare Zone will be free.
Count-Vonduel

This just occurred to me.
vvv

The fact that this is written in rhyme sugests that this may be the pre-show for CoS, what's more is that CoS might finally have a pre-show.

What do you think?
Lotty

What do you mean by pre show?, last year they had a large man making a rhyme abut his belly button? lol

Created By Lewis97 :)

Was Thrillbaby now Lotty :)
Count-Vonduel

Really? Sorry I did not go in last year and I assumed that there was not a pre-show because I am usually one of the first to know about a ride pre-show.
Liam B

do we not have a photographer this scare fest for construction? :(
jayson2125

Hi all.

Went to the towers yesterday and had a quick look to see if construction had started on COS at the same location as last year.

Guess that's a no then.

Many many thanks to Lewis97 for my signature file.
Danny

hambletwins wrote: do we not have a photographer this scare fest for construction? :(
The construction is all behind the scenes such as the mazes [the Resort have confirmed that Terror of the Towers is now actually complete, despite not being needed for another month yet!]. The rest of the decorations and lighting will be installed with less than a week to go, so there's not much construction to even photograph at present. However, one of the TowersTimes team photographers will most likely be able to snap a few images when obvious signs of Scarefest begin to crop up.
Liam B

hmm interesting there is no sign of any construction with carnival. This could be a change of location. Not saying I would like this as I found the goal striker to be a great location! Or has anybody seen if the goal striker has been closed off? That would kinda be the biggest hint haha!
Danny

It seems that construction for Carnival was done in the two weeks prior to Scarefest last year, with the entrance arch being installed on the 10th October 2012.

I'm simply astonished at how quickly TotT was assembled however. If they managed to erect it this quickly, then I'm in two frames of mind. One for praising them after their diabolical planning in advance issues not coming into play here, and being ready over a month beforehand, but one negative mind set as the ruins have hardly been open this year at all. I would have loved to have been able to walk around them on one or two further occasions. I suppose it's all down to how quickly they can now get The Sanctuary constructed, but I imagine many of the set pieces will have actually been left untouched since previously this season.
RobStandley

Would certainly get the extreme tickets if they were available, does anyone have any further info on them?

I always thought there was a need for them. The mazes currently are only really worth going on for the scares if you're in the front 2-3 people. Otherwise, you tend to see what's about to happen which spoils it really. Especially at peak times when they send you in huge groups and the people at the front seem to run most of the way and catch up with the group ahead. When that happens it's a complete waste of time!

The extreme maze should be limited to 4-5 people max and have more of a hands on approach!
Danny

You have to be 18 to purchase the tickets as far as I'm aware, that was defiantly the rule surrounding them last year. Regarding catching up with a group infront of you, as the tickets are limited they appear to be the final run through of the day when the extreme mazes will be done. This means they can hold you for as long as possible and you're almost guaranteed to not encounter the group ahead of you. And don't worry, I've heard last years was very hands on. I can't wait to experience it for myself this year.