2013 Scarefest

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

which scaremaze had the longest queue times

zombies scarezone
No votes
the sanctuary
8%
terror of the towers
17%
the carnival of screams
67%
none( refer to below)
8%

Total votes: 12
Double H

ThrillBaby wrote: It would be awesome if they put a new one by the hotel again, or maybe within the hotel? but as for on the park? i really dont know where they could put another maze.
I think a maze at the Hotels is what has been missing for a little while now. As I remember, there used to be hotel mazes before they were relocated to the park. Might be worth them bringing them back for Hotel entertainment. I know they have the scare rooms for those willing to pay more but hopefully they will be bring something back to the hotel for all the other guests..... just an idea. ;)
N3m3s1s

Scare rooms instead maybe?
JessicaAlex

I think that they should bring back Haunted Hollows Live, Duel Live, Hex Live (which was AWESOME... Just saying). They also need to make the Zombie Scare-Zone longer because last year was shockingly short and wasn't really scary tbh. They need to add another free maze so that there is a larger variety for the guests! I do love Scarefest though- its dead funny! Haha xx
[glow][/glow][align=][/align]Best ride ever: Nemesis
Runner up: The Smiler :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Liam B

JessicaAlex wrote: I think that they should bring back Haunted Hollows Live, Duel Live, Hex Live (which was AWESOME... Just saying). They also need to make the Zombie Scare-Zone longer because last year was shockingly short and wasn't really scary tbh. They need to add another free maze so that there is a larger variety for the guests! I do love Scarefest though- its dead funny! Haha xx
Haunted hollow won't make a return due to actors getting beating up. Duel may do at some point. Likeliness that a fourth maze will happen is very very low due to there incredibly terrible budget. If only they got more investment for this time of year! Thorpe seems to be doing amazingly for fright nights with tons of mazes and new Ideas every year! Why we not getting that at alton! :(
Lee

I wouldn't think too much into Towers Press Releases, especially for scarefest. They'll just be trying to generate hype ;)
Spoiler
*cough* Look at The Smilers promo
Liam B

well Thorpe park looks like it's going to be insane! Cabin in the woods and My Bloody Valentine mazes?! Sounds so good!
Jammydodger

It would appear Thorpe Park have just taken a massive steaming dump on Alton Towers.
http://thorpepark.com/frightnights/

A Universal style event vs. 3 Rehashed mazes. Hmmm....
Alton Towers have some explaining to do.
swalesuk01

I have just seen the Thorpe advert and I think I will go to Thorpe this year, can't remember if it was on this forum or another but I said Alton should start to follow Thorpe parks lead. Ultimately rather than giving one free maze charge the premium for the fright nights even to MAPS which use to be £5 at Thorpe and extend the line up of mazes. This in return means you can generate income in 4 ways.

1, you can justify a higher gate price as its a premium event i.e. AT live or just remove it from 2 for 1.

2, Create an evening ticket say £10-15.

3, Charge standard MAP holders a £5 premium, ultimately cheaper than the current system of paying for individual mazes. Which I personally never done as A MAP as I don't see it as good value compared to Thorpe where you paid £5 for a bout 7 mazes.

4, Merlins favourite word Fasttrack tickets.

Surely if this system works for Thorpe Alton must be able to make it work, to me there is so many places to put mazes that can be out the way for non event days. Though last time I did suggest this I was told Alton did fine and didn't need this approach.
Liam B

As much as Thorpe sounds amazing this year I'm still gonna go to alton. Prefer it in general. I just hope they have a trick up there sleeve. I mean last year was pretty damn good with mazes. If they can just get some lighting and themeing we are sorted!
altontowerskid

hambletwins wrote: I mean last year was pretty damn good with mazes. If they can just get some lighting and themeing we are sorted!
Really? I thought it was the weakest year of mazes since Scarefest began. We haven't seen an impressive Scarefest since 2010 and a third year of regurgitated mazes with nothing new doesn't exactly pull in the punters.

As much as I have loved Alton during Scarefest, I'm seriously considering giving it a miss this year. Thorpe Park have shown the direction our halloween events should be taking - much more in line with what America have shown. Although we haven't actually seen both events this year - I would boldly state that Thorpe Park's Fright Nights will walk all over Scarefest. 
magicman85

hambletwins wrote: As much as Thorpe sounds amazing this year I'm still gonna go to alton. Prefer it in general. I just hope they have a trick up there sleeve. I mean last year was pretty damn good with mazes. If they can just get some lighting and themeing we are sorted!
Last year worse the worse year yet for Scarefest... The only decent thing was the Sanctuary and thats not enough alone. The other mazes have become dated and they not longer have the scare factor... 2012 was a pants year for scarefest.
Lucieloo

We've only ever been twice to Scarefest (2011 & 2012) and have to say I did feel 2011 was the better year out of the two. It may be because that was our first year and it was all new.. but also I noticed little things like lighting not so good in 2012. Especially when you walk through Haunted Hollow, because that had an amazing archway all lit with twinkly lights in 2011 and not there 2012. I also noticed last year less people seemed to dress up.. mind you it does get cold after sun down!

We are so looking forward to this year because it just gives off a different atmos when it gets dark. I do hope we can ride the Smiler in the dark. We wont ever be going to Thorp, had a really bad experience there years ago and too much queue jumping for my liking.

The only thing I would like to be improved from last year is the lighting, because you can create such a good scary feel with the right lights and subtle things. My fiance loves the mazes and I must say when I get there and it gets dark I get into them as well.

I think the fact that we were able to get the times put right as they should be means that Alton are listening to customer feedback and what we consider to be important enough to make it a good experience for us all.. lets hope they are able to bring some new things and put right the bits gradually getting less and less..
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
Count-Vonduel

This year-fix Scarefest

Next year-add to Scarefest
I was going to have a pic of Hobs Pit but I forgot how to make pics show up :(
Liam B

I actually disagree with you magicman85. I found all 2 scare mazes to be on top form last year! 2011 was the worst year I would say. Yes the mazes are now dated TOTT def needs a new story. But I found carnival to be fantastic. Terror of the towers was same as previous and the sanctuary just to be unbelievable! I can't comment on park lighting or rides in the dark as I didn't actually get to see anything apart from oblivion because the park was so busy.

EDIT: yes it was no 2010 and the park should really always be at 2010 level but it was much better than 2011. much much better.
JessicaAlex

Is admission for the carnival of screams free? :D xx
[glow][/glow][align=][/align]Best ride ever: Nemesis
Runner up: The Smiler :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

JessicaAlex wrote: Is admission for the carnival of screams free? :D xx
Yes, this year CoS is the free maze.
Lotty

2012 wasn't terrible in the way of mazes, The actors in them were on top form in my opinion, but as they don't seem to focus on much atmosphere around the park it lets it down, I remember the year of 2010 when they had set up The Boiler house and carnival of screams by the hotel and the atmosphere was awesome. The park was nicely lit but not perfect.

I was thinking Wow, maybe should of gone to Thorpe park this year, But then i think, i've been when schools out and i've checked odd "bakers Days" thinking we should have a good day and BAM!!! Its Heaving! Queues over an hour. I dread to think what it's like at fright nights, with it being so close to London its easier to get to hence busier. Plus the accommodation at Alton far out weighs Thorpe.

Created By Lewis97 :)

Was Thrillbaby now Lotty :)
jayson2125

We will be going on the 19th 20th and the 26th weather permitting.

You wont be able to miss us as we will be in the same costumes as last year but more of us.

We were the Victorian family that came second(boooooo) in the fancy dress competition.

14 of us going on the 19th all in costume so say hello.

Many many thanks to Lewis97 for my signature file.
Liam B

we're going in a group of 5/6 so I'm trying to come up with costume idea's now haha. Needs to be something hilarious but quite disturbing at the same time.
jayson2125

Why not go as the smiler and at random intervals have bits fall off you or just stop working.

Two birds one stone...

Many many thanks to Lewis97 for my signature file.