2013 Scarefest

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

which scaremaze had the longest queue times

zombies scarezone
No votes
the sanctuary
8%
terror of the towers
17%
the carnival of screams
67%
none( refer to below)
8%

Total votes: 12
JaykeAT

GrapeWizard wrote:
Don't know whether its feasible or not, but a Scare maze through the gardens might be good.. with the theme being around a deranged gardener or something? ;)
LOL with him running at you with garden trimmers
GrapeWizard

JaykeAT wrote:
GrapeWizard wrote:
Don't know whether its feasible or not, but a Scare maze through the gardens might be good.. with the theme being around a deranged gardener or something? ;)
LOL with him running at you with garden trimmers
Yeah :lol: He follows you on a sit-on lawn mower ;)
roary01

Heres a undown of how i see Scarefest 2013 mazes...
TERROR OF THE TOWERS-...
Totally refreshed, New Storyline, would be nice to see a return of some of the scripted scenes to carry the story through the whole maze, which i feel with "What Lies Within" was lost to try and get the queue continuously moving. So basically something more returning back to the "Bloodfest Banquet" style. I do see however the entrance staying on the conservatory side from now on, as it provides a better queue-line area.

Carnival Of Screams - Breakout
This year it was tested by having the Clowns escaping the maze which went down extremely well with staff/guests, so hopefully they may carry this through. Also the Maze got a New Location, which i feel worked extremely well, and gave back its length which it lacked in 2011. The Staff were even made up to look like carnies and the surrounding area done up to fit in with th carnival look. For Next year, i can see it staying in its position it had this year, but back with a new story. Basically the Carnival is Now deserted, the whole carnival is dilapidated, and it seems all the freaks left a long time ago. You soon find out this isn't the case. What you do realise is the Freaks have been locked up for years and are preparing for your arrival. The carnival has becme a much more grusome place, in which your lucky to make it out alive.

The Sanctuary
Hopefully next year this will be made more emphasis on the opening of the New SW7 and how its advocates have taken to the test. But although all is well at the beginning, Doctor Kelman is back, and this time he will make sure you all smile! and conform! Withthis being a ticketed maze it could easilybe able to be more scripted, allowing moe interaction with characters, and making it feel more intimate. I also feel it should be made more personal, the doctor knows your names, you get given visitor passes but in reality that means your the next patient.
Shrek The Jack

I thought the ToTT was a let down this year that's four year now with pretty much the same ending but its free so cant complain to much but needs a totally new story for 2013 maybe something to tie into HEX ???? :D

I have never been a fan of the CoS until this yea,r this was defo its crowning year so maybe time for it to stop now and go out in glory.

The Sanctuary big hit with my group this year defo enjoyed this one the most so hopefully will see this back in 2013 with an upgrade :D

Zombie zone was enjoyable and what I would expect a post apocalyptic world to look like

That was 2012 now for 2013

Better lighting a must.

Something has to be done properly in the Dark Forest its crying out for a scare attraction.

Scare mazes back over by Hotel for an extra charge.

At least two scare mazes (ToTT & a new scare attraction) in park and the zombie zone or something similar for free.

I also read a post regarding pumping smoke in certain areas of the park with live actors walking around I like that idea.

And i will say it again AT please bring back the F*****g Corn Fields proper old school scaremaze.
Liam B

looking at the old room 13 video I can say some of the current clowns need a lesson from bozo!

magicman85

Dates are now on the website.

2013 Scarefest promises to offer the most terrifying event to date! There is something for all thrill seekers and families, with tons of terrific rides, blockbusting attractions, amazing live shows, and weird and wonderful costume characters. Join us for our terrifying Scarefest event during 19th October - 3rd November and ride your favourite rides after dark!

http://www.altontowers.com/events/Halloween-Scarefest/
Liam B

it says "Scare mazes for Scarefest 2013 will be announced soon!"

hmmm.... did it say that last year or are they actually announcing things very early!?
magicman85

hambletwins wrote: it says "Scare mazes for Scarefest 2013 will be announced soon!"

hmmm.... did it say that last year or are they actually announcing things very early!?
Said the same thing last year. I would not expect anything for a very long time yet. They tend to leave everything to last minute. I would imagine plans have not even started yet...
Saying that though, I could be wrong....

I hope they have new mazes though this year cos the sanctuary is not gonna feel like a scarefest attraction now that they are keeping it open throughout the season... COS is beginnning to get abit dated now and losing its scare factor (in my opinion) TOTT will always be great so I hope to see that again.
Alot of fresh ideas is needed instead of just tweaking the old...
cybermen39

Does anyone ever mention a great family halloween show and i don't mean four characters miming to halloween songs. As for TOTT last year it was bad just metal wire fencing and not much story and you could see the same actors running to get from 1 place to the next.Bring back meeting the Master at his table for dinner pinning you in the corner Bring back the vampire swinging though the velvet curtains. Alton towers over the last few years rely on the quests as street theatre they need to make much more of an effort.And i don't think i saw a scare crow or pumkin with out some thing broke off them. Getting tatty.Just my opinion but we all just don't want scare mazes we want good family halloween shows to.
zish87

Hi guys, first time post, was bit disappointed with TOTT last year, had high hopes for it after reading so much about it so hopefully they can improve it this year. I agree with most people that the lightning needs to be sorted out, the generators really do spoil the atmosphere. I think they may add actors to the smiler queue line as I believe they will use it as one of the vocal points of scarefest
coasterollie

Doubt much will change this scarefest. As much as we hope it's unlikely TOTT will change much if at all.
Sanctuary will be coming back but slightly different but mostly the same I assume.

I thought Carnivals new location last year was great. Good fun to have both indoor and outdoor bits. They just need to fill some of the gaps between scenes.
Also I to whoever said the ending is the same each year obviously has never done it. First year was the gorilla, then they had the colourful strobe maze with the bars and last year they had some prop room with clown statues and boxes etc.
rockportboy

The terror of the towers are suppose to be changing its storyline this year as what lies within has been running for a number of years. What do you think they will alter to give it a new storyline and new life.
magicman85

rockportboy wrote: The terror of the towers are suppose to be changing its storyline this year as what lies within has been running for a number of years. What do you think they will alter to give it a new storyline and new life.
Where did you get this information from?
Liam B

think he's just presuming as we all are
Danny

It's been a rumour knocking about since the end of Scarefest 2012 that TotT would be changing for this year. I'm not too fussed, seeing as I've only ever done it once which was last year, so I'd be more than happy to welcome change, or the current version back :)
Pennywise

Danny wrote: It's been a rumour knocking about since the end of Scarefest 2012 that TotT would be changing for this year. I'm not too fussed, seeing as I've only ever done it once which was last year, so I'd be more than happy to welcome change, or the current version back :)
Said rumour has circulated every single year since the return of Scarefest, and has never really come to anything (besides when they swapped around the entrance and the exit). I don't think TotT needs updating simply because it has never had the chance to become 'stale'. It's probably one of the best seasonal scare attractions in the world, and has one of the best locations, even if it doesn't get 'changed' much each year it remains an incredibly atmospheric and genuinely terrifying experience. They should stick with it again this time around.

That being said I do hope that Scarefest will be freshened up somehow this year. Particularly with The Sanctuary expected to be open for part of - or even all of - the coming campaign I do think that the Scarefest line-up will be fairly underwhelming unless it's added to. Carnival has had it's day and I wouldn't object to it being replaced, but (obviously) I would prefer an additional maze, possibly over at the Resort so that it can be opened later into the night (I loved doing The Boiler House and Field of 1000 Screams after park close - it'd be great if something similar could return). Zombies! was fairly popular last year, too, so I would hope for another family scare zone (return of Haunted Hollow: Live?) and, per usual, I'm being quietly wishing for the return of Duel Live and Hex Live, too, though not expecting them.

There wasn't enough genuine 'family' entertainment at Scarefest 2012, it was all aimed at either a thrills market or a 3-7 year old market. The opening hours were too short considering the crowds, too. 9:30pm close please. :)
Kenzie2012

If current trends stay unchanged, this years lightning is set to hit a new low.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
SamSimkin

The lighting needs to go back to how it was, with dim lights and the brilliant green and purple Katanga canyon!
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
bensaund

Thorpe do their lighting very well, shame they can't organise the rest of the park well  :D

Alton need to invest and good lighting doesn't cost the earth either, but the good effects and atmosphere is well worth it.
If you go down to the woods today
rockportboy

Here's the link where it says terror of the towers what lies within final season scroll down to 2012 here's the link http://www.scaretouruk.com/alton-towers ... -fear.html