2014 Lodge Resort Development (SCRAPPED)

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
MC4

Marcus Assab wrote:
MC4 wrote:
Marcus Assab wrote: Huh? A third hotel? So the Alton towers hotel, splash landings, lodges and a third hotel?  :shock: I really don't think they will build a third hotel.
Actually i think i read somewhere that were was the possibility of a third hotel :) it might be good as it may allow more vistors to stay over night and could be bad as there may be a lot of rooms
Towers needs to fix up its park before making a third hotel.  ;)
Second that, there is more important things to do first, but i can see another hotel opening in the future :)
Graeme

Am I the only one that thinks this development looks like the shire as described in the hobbit?

Thought I'd throw it out there...
RITA = Flying fish for teens
Boz

Nope, I thought that too. I think it's been mentioned before too, if not in here, then in another topic.
It kinda raises the question of a possible Lord of the rings IP coming to towers. Which would work beautifully , so long as they spend the money to do it properly :)
altontowerskid

I see this as a good investment for the Towers, but not sure if it's the best way they could have gone about new accommodation. We are obviously not really 'in-the-know' about what the general public feedback is on their current accommodation, but I feel the hotel/resort atmosphere works quite well.
Introducing a partially self-catering accommodation factor, will of course increase options for visitors, but when I stay at the Towers, I like the fact that the resort feels 'all-together' in a sense.

I feel if they wanted to go down the 'lodge-style' route, they could have taken a spin on Disney's Wildenerness Lodge.
Although Disney's is extremely well themed, Merlin could have done a fantastic job with this style hotel. Could have been located the other side of the Alton Towers Hotel, leaving additional space for an expansion of that hotel.

However, it is yet to be built. Only time will tell how well the new accommodation will be taken by the GP. What I will say is; when Splash Landings was being built, I was desperate to book, it looked fantastic. With these plans, I'm hesitant and feel it hasn't really got any "wow" factor at all.
Vanessa Feltz

The point with the lodges is that the Resort wanted to follow a more self catering budget style accommodation along the lines of Butlins or other holiday camps, Except of course it will be far more up market due to the resorts branding anyway.

Plans are in the making for a third hotel as far as the LTDP has stated, Either that or the expansion of the current Alton Towers Hotel.
Previously Site Team!
"Thinks he knows it all"
cookiee_munster

as other people have mentioned. the lodges look rather "hobbit" like, its a bit too twee for my tastes. i would have preferred a more grown up contemporary approach. it just seems to be taking that nature theme a bit too far y'know?

the disney's fort wilderness lodge look would go so well at the park. lots of nice landscaping etc. maybe even a heated outdoor pool?
Liam-AltonTowers

I don't think the lodges are a bad idea - everyone's different in wether they prefer self catering or not. So for those who do they'll stay at the hotels and for those who are more individual they'll stay in the lodges. The lodges have there advantages anyway such as there's no noisy kids running up and down the corridors at night and you can't hear the people staying in the next room to you. I can guarantee as soon as the lodges open, I'll be up there staying in them.

Anyway what do you think the prices will be like for these new lodges as in least expensive to most expensive. I'm guessing the huts will be the least, then the double lodges and then the holes will be the most seems as though there rare and the fact that their underground...!

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
altontowerskid

Difficult to guess the prices, but I think it would be safe to say they'll charge a hefty bit more than the hotels. My first guess would be anywhere from 30-50% more per night, depending on the lodge.

On the issue of noise, I'd be a bit worried about kids running in and out between the lodges, using them as hiding spots and such like. If you've ever been on a camping holiday, you'll know what I'm saying when kids like playing 'manhunt' on campgrounds. I think this accommodation will be a strictly family orientated one, which isn't a problem of course, I'm just not a fan :)
sweedish2009

Merlin want to add variety to the mix. This is, in my eyes, a great addition to the resort. I know a few friends who've visited the park this year and used local campsites for accommodation, because they prefer the self catering/budget option.

This would be ideal. Myself, I prefer the hotels and amazing food and drink that comes with them. But I would still seriously considering staying in one of the lodges if the pricing wasn't extortionate.

I did also hear mentioned the idea of an onsite budget hotel e.g. Premier Travel Inn or Express by Holiday Inn. If it was to fit in with the potential downtown/entertainment area, I honestly think adding a budget hotel would only increase the parks popularity. Hell, the main reason I stay in the AT Hotel is because my mother gets a bloody good discount through working in Sainsburys.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
submission2001

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
roary01 wrote: Image

Goin back to the 10 year development plan you can clearly see the lodges are going where the Additional accomodation next to AT hotel on this plan is..

If im right in thinking, 2014 could be a BIG year for the park, in which we see some big changes:
- Accomodation Lodges
- Entertainment Complex
- New Entrance (in Forbidden Valley)
- Rides/Attractions on park
CALLUM
Liam-AltonTowers

submission2001 wrote: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
roary01 wrote: Image

Goin back to the 10 year development plan you can clearly see the lodges are going where the Additional accomodation next to AT hotel on this plan is..

If im right in thinking, 2014 could be a BIG year for the park, in which we see some big changes:
- Accomodation Lodges
- Entertainment Complex
- New Entrance (in Forbidden Valley)
- Rides/Attractions on park
What are you trying to say submission2001...?

coastercrazy18

It always makes me think that if the lodges will bassed around the lord of the rings. I wounder how much they would have to pay the film industry?
its always good to go to the dentist so you can get a better smile :D
Kenzie2012

As much as i still don't like this plan for the year it's set.... I'd expect Work to be starting the moment The Smiler is completed.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Roodlesnouter

Kenzie2012 wrote: As much as i still don't like this plan for the year it's set.... I'd expect Work to be starting the moment The Smiler is completed.
Have they not got to get past the ney sayers first? Im sure there was some group up in arms about it all.
http://pixelsattheparks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liam-AltonTowers

roodlesnouter wrote:
Kenzie2012 wrote: As much as i still don't like this plan for the year it's set.... I'd expect Work to be starting the moment The Smiler is completed.
Have they not got to get past the ney sayers first? Im sure there was some group up in arms about it all.
Those people who made a complaint about the whole idea always make complaints about whatever Alton Towers build. The lodges are still going ahead with and a lot more people would argue for them rather than against them.

Anyway I think once the resort have added both The Smiler and these lodges they'll look just as good as places like Disneyland in Paris.

rockportboy

The development will take part in two stages after the initial planning and amendments stage (October 2012 – June 2013) with Phase One construction taking place between July 2013 – February 2014 and opening in March 2014, then Phase Two construction taking place between July 2014 – February 2015 and opening in March 2015. Phase Two construction timescale is dependent upon Phase One’s successful, timely completion. This information was taken from towers street. Construction will start in July I think they be pushing it to get phase 1 ready for 2014 opening especially as weather plays an important part in Altons delays such as sw7.
haydn!

The planning application seems to be taking an unusually long time to be processed, is there any indication when a decision should be expected?
bensaund

I'be been thinking this too as it all seems to have gone quiet.
If you go down to the woods today
rockportboy

Have the plans been approved but site hasn't been updated on planning portal when I went to the February half term, I stay in the alton towers hotel and from the west side of the hotel there appears to be ground works or drainage. Could this mean the lodges are approved I took a picture.
Henry

All the different type of lodges look amazing, i just hope the prices aren't too high.
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!