Alton Towers - without height restrictions

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Benji

The height restrictions have definately played a part in some of the coasters at Alton Towers, however as we know if the height restrictions where not in place, there would be vertical drop coaster in to a hole and maybe even no nemesis..
But what you think Alton Towers would now be like if there were no height restrictions?

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
altontowers101

IMO Alton wouldn't have Oblivion and Rita would be a top hat accelerator like stealth and it would be just like any other theme park but it might be quite interesting to see what they would do! :D
Harmankar

The height restrictions have forced the designs of the likes of Oblivion and Nemesis  to be what they are today, its part of the reason Nemesis is so 'intense' had they not been forced to go underground with Oblivion to increase the height of the drop or sink Nemesis into the Staffordshire rock they would not be the word class rides they are now!
owenrita121

I could also see the park having a large drop tower in the dark forest aswell.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
oliviamae

I'm really short and when I was younger it was so disappointing to miss out on rides that friends my age could go on because I wasn't tall enough, but it's definitely worth the trade off.
DrReeve

I could see some taller coaster or flat rides being built but nemesis is what it is from diving in and out of the landscape which isn't Disney's fake rock (even though it looks decent) its carved into the landscape and theres not many coasters which dive into valleys and twists like nemesis.  Rita may have been like stealth so In effect stealth probably wouldnt of even been built because the criticism it would get for being too much like Rita. I could also see thirteens indoor drop being bigger. and would air even exist  Thunder looper may of been quietened and live its long life so no world first B&M coaster for us.
Image credit to Lewis97
scw55

Air would probably have a more ambitious layouts. I don't mean modern flier layouts as the curse of having world firsts is that you end up with a 'prototype' and a rather simple layout; Oblivion. Just something more substantial.

It's a shame they didn't sink Air significantly, but I guess they wanted a family world-first coaster.
leammiles

Honestly i believe if the height restriction were never there, we wouldn't have ANY of the world firsts at all.

If Alton were looking to buy a new roller coaster, they would have gone to the likes of B&M and would have happily walked away with a carbon copy of another ride that had been tried and tested elsewhere.

I believe Alton towers would probably have 10-15 average roller coasters without the height restriction rather than the 5 amazing ones they have today.

Coaster corner would still be open with a handfull of mediocre roller coasters, thunder looper would be in a dire state, but would still be up and running.  Corkscrew 2 would be standing where 13 is, Rita would probably be a top hat like all the other launch coasters.

Nemesis would probably be the same layout, but above ground level and without the tunnels and near misses.  Air would likely be a random B&M suspended coaster, not a flying coaster.

Oblivion would probably be the only exception that could have been a better ride because it could have been made longer and higher. 

There would be two sonic spinballs side by side to cut queue times.
Just a few ideas that sprung to mind.