Litterbugs

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
23Skidoo

Ok, so I know this is a problem that can occur in all areas of life, but just being in the park last week and seeing the amount of people littering really bugged me. It was a really quiet day with not too many people about, and you would think that out of sheer embarrassment alone you would not want to be the person seen to be throwing rubbish around but it just seemed to happen a lot. We were sitting in Mutiny Bay having a snack and there were a couple of full tables around, people were feeding the ducks and that, having a bit of a laugh. Then the table of people across from us (not kids, more like late teens early twenties) just got up and left their rubbish everywhere. Hot dog cardboard trays, empty cups, papers, even a park map just chucked on the ground. It was disgusting and left the place looking like a tip. I feel sorry for the staff that have to deal with crap like that, there weren't that many of them on the food stalls so no one free to come clean it up, but the point is they shouldn't have to. There were bins everywhere, one of the good things about AT was how easy it is to get rid of rubbish, so I can't abide people just being filthy for the sake of it.

Anyway, not a lot the park can do about it I suppose, except maybe start fining people or chucking them out for littering  :twisted: but just wanted to mention it. And SHAME on you if you were one of the dirtbirds!

/rant
marita

We went into the Fried Chicken Co seated area and I know one thing.

If my children/teenagers left a mess the way many teenagers/adults do then i would slap their backsides.

What does it take to pick your rubbish up and walk to the nearest bin? Staff are not there to wipe our butts cleaning up after us.

Really gets my goat sorry  :evil:
Boz

Agreed, it is one of my pet hates. And I know whats it's like to deal with it from a staff point of view. On one occasion i came across a bin at the top of Nemesis inferno's volcano, after a "schools week" day. And there was a mountain of rubbish all around the floor near the bin, and absolutely nothing inside it :x It took me 15 mins to clear that :censored: up, all because a bunch of little brats have no respect for anything but themselves.
And to be fair, it is entirely the parent's fault, for not bringing the kids up properly and setting a good example.
Marcus

I know its not littering but I hate people who graffiti on ride fences, in The swarm queue theres a wooden fence and loads of people had wrote on it. One of them I remember said ''I hate people who graffiti'' oh the irony  :x and also people who stick their chewing gum on fences aswell. so gross yuck.
23Skidoo

I think the thing that bugged me most was seeing adults doing it, not just kids. In fact, I saw hardly any kids chucking stuff around it was mainly older teens and adults. People who should know better!

It's disgusting and pointless, really ruins the atmosphere of what is in general, I think anyway, a very well looked after park.
altontowerskid

Problem starts with society in general, most people expect their arses to be wiped by the government and their organisations - it makes me sick.

I have to be honest, if I see litter, I will not voluntarily clean it up as I don't believe it is my job to do so. However, many a time I have seen people drop litter and asked them to pick it up. Mostly, people are embarrassed by this and just do it. 
redpiggy

I worked at a Subway, and to leave, everyone had to walk past two bins...
The amount of rubbish I had to clear up despite this was shocking.

There is no need for it, it's disgusting and just shows how little respect some people have for the environment and other people.
And don't get me started on people who throw litter out of moving cars!!
scw55

Some people believe there are members of staff employed to pick up litter.

They fail to realise that the member of staff isn't paid per item picked up, it's per hour.
In fact they don't realise that time spent picking up their litter is time spent picking up someone else's or time not spent tending to another duty.

There are people in their world with no consideration for others.

You can argue that it's the parent's job to teach their child. But ultimately the child grows up and has a mind of their own to do what ever they want to do.

I myself am willing to carry litter with me in till I find a bin. Nothing to do with the environment. It's just logic. It's illogical.
Luce

Chewing gum on ride fences is also a pain and looks terrible - I do wish people who do this could have more respect for these things and keep parks nice :)
Kenzie2012

Luce wrote: Chewing gum on ride fences is also a pain and looks terrible - I do wish people who do this could have more respect for these things and keep parks nice :)
Oblivion used to have a bin near the top of its que line for chewing gum... It's was a goog few feet out of reach and had a sigh saying

"Throw your gum into Oblivion"

Is it still there??
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
bensaund

In a restaurant, I agree the mess some people leave behind is disgusting. I always clear my mess up.

But if I receive very poor service or have to wait ages or the food is very poor quality sometimes I leave the mess behind as if you have poor food, poor service, then why should you clear up when they can't be bothered to give you good service/food.

Of course I only do that as an exception.
If you go down to the woods today
Delta79

I work at a college as driver and general caretaker. It is tagged on to the bottom of my job description to help keep the site tidy.

The amount of students that just dump there rubbish within a foot of the bin is ridicules.
They drop it on my Minibus, even when there is a bin bag at the front and back.

I did get my own back on one lad, He is the son of a friend of mine. I challenged him over dropping rubbish on my minibus with "do you do that at home?" only to get "yes I BLEEPing do, BLEEP off you cant BLEEPing do anything to me"
He threw down the gauntlet, So I text his Dad, my mate asking if he in for a visit later. I was so funny when he saw my Minibus parked outside his house after I left him at the drop off point. at this point he did not know I talked to Steve (his dad) and his mum about what was said, and what i was about to do.

He sits across from me, with a nervous look. As me and Steve chat about radios, then i chuck biscuit pack on the floor. As Steve on cue, point it out his son heads for the door. Straight into his mum.

As punishment, he had to remove all rubbish and hoover my minibus and a ten minute telling off for being disrespectful.

He said to me that he was confused that he was not being done for swearing, I told him I was not cruel enough to tell them he swore. As that a Big no no, for Steve.
Air lover

terrible im 12 and i pick up after my self
Marcus

I feel really guilty when I leave rubbish or throw it on the floor, espescially in heaven (alton towers)
tallicay2k

Marcus Assab wrote: I know its not littering but I hate people who graffiti on ride fences, in The swarm queue theres a wooden fence and loads of people had wrote on it. One of them I remember said ''I hate people who graffiti'' oh the irony  :x and also people who stick their chewing gum on fences aswell. so gross yuck.
Yes theres no need for it, seeing chewing gum anywhere but the bin disgusts me...ive had it on my shoes and also on my clothes where ive lent against something without realising it being stuck there  :anger:
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
andyuk200523

Marcus Assab wrote: I feel really guilty when I leave rubbish or throw it on the floor, espescially in heaven (alton towers)

Erm.....Don't do it then....
Andrew

Next Trip - No Idea!
Thought when exiting The Smiler - "Which way is up?"
JoyfulSin

I ALWAYS put my rubbish into a bin.

When I took my rubbish away from Mutiny Bay BBQ, the staff actually thanked me, which just showed to me how few people actually do put their litter in a bin.

Unfortunately it seems to be a common occurance as I see it in almost every Mcdonald's that I visit.
ponder

Slightly different in a McDonalds though, as there are staff paid to clean the tables. You would'nt pay for a meal in a restaurant then take the plates and cutlery back to the kitchen once you'd finished.

There's a big difference between buying a meal at a fast food restaurant without cleaning up after yourself, and throwing rubbish on to the floor.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
andyuk200523

ponder wrote: Slightly different in a McDonalds though, as there are staff paid to clean the tables. You would'nt pay for a meal in a restaurant then take the plates and cutlery back to the kitchen once you'd finished.

There's a big difference between buying a meal at a fast food restaurant without cleaning up after yourself, and throwing rubbish on to the floor.
At McDonalds the staff are paid to wipe down the tables, not put everyone's rubbish into the bin, my first job was at McDonalds, and I used to hate the people who didn't pick their tray up and put the rubbish in the bin.
Andrew

Next Trip - No Idea!
Thought when exiting The Smiler - "Which way is up?"
redpiggy

And I was employed as a sandwich artist.. Not a straw packet, sandwich wrap and cup picker upper!
It's really really frustrating. If we didn't want you to put away your own rubbish, we wouldn't put bins in easy reach!