Burger King set to leave. Original Burger Co as replacement?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Thom

From TT News:
Strong rumours and several sources report that the final high street franchise Burger King is set to leave the resort at the end of 2012. Although as yet unconfirmed by the resort. It is believed that the current Burger King venues will be replaced by the in house brand Original Burger Co. The removal of Burger King is also expect to take place at Thorpe Park with several signs having already been removed.
This is the Blackpool Tower Burger Co menu: http://www.theblackpooltower.com/downlo ... n-menu.pdf

Looks fairly disappointing, £1 extra for a slice of cheese? Hopefully the service will beat Buger King...
Wildboy

Oh no! I always look forward to my triple whopper each time I visit Thorpe. Plus that menue looks the most un-appetising thing I have ever seen, even for blackpool.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983
Rita 2005

So after 14 years....Its basically back to 'Snack in a Box' !
altontowerskid

Would you expect anything more from M£rlin?!

Although, I'm in hope that we get another premium dining outlet! Something a little more special than Woodcutters!
Chris-TT

Really not surprised. McDonald pulled out because Merlin wouldn't renew the lease they wanted and they were on a rolling month by month one. I believe Burgerking were given a 2-3 year lease when they came onto site. It really is a shame to phase out all the franchises as I can see the price of food slowly go up and up when Merlin have a captured market.

Let's hope we don't see history repeat itself, as in crap food expensive prices. Tussauds didnt have the resources to open decent food outlets and couldn't keep up with demand so sourced outside companies to look after the food. Slowly the quality of tussauds food got pretty much on par with the brands, however the big thorne in there side was that people trust brands and have loyalty to them so are more likely to visit, the outlets also control the pricing, so the resorts have always had to price match.

Its been a long term plan to faze them out. I'm almost certain we will see year on year price hikes in food, just really hope the quality remains the same.
Marcus

Really not surprised. Last year chessy got rid of both of their cafee neros and changed it for Original sandwich co. and a madagascar themed cafe. Which I also think it may be original sandwich co.
stu1980

Thom wrote: From TT News:
Strong rumours and several sources report that the final high street franchise Burger King is set to leave the resort at the end of 2012. Although as yet unconfirmed by the resort. It is believed that the current Burger King venues will be replaced by the in house brand Original Burger Co. The removal of Burger King is also expect to take place at Thorpe Park with several signs having already been removed.
This is the Blackpool Tower Burger Co menu: http://www.theblackpooltower.com/downlo ... n-menu.pdf

Looks fairly disappointing, £1 extra for a slice of cheese? Hopefully the service will beat Buger King...
I have to be honest ive had two burgers from here as i live in the area and have to save they do wipe mc d and burger king off the map the burger was about 1 inch thick and was so nice ied even go as far to say the best burger ive ever has in my life. Sorry guys as much as i love to see top brands and brands we trust i welcome this move should it happen. and before i get shouted at i like burger king and mc ds with my frav being mc d,s. You never know this could be part of all day dinein
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
ponder

It's a strange decision, as I'd have thought that, even though Merlin can control their own profit margins running their own food outlets, the guaranteed money that comes from franchising space out to established brands is something that's critical to the business.

A lot of people will choose the brand options, because they know what they're going to get. Theme park food is so inconsistent.

It's interesting that someone above mentioned Chessington removing various branded outlets, as something I noticed when I was there about 3 weeks ago was the number of people eating packed lunches on the lawn. Presumably that's what Merlin are looking to avoid?
We opted for the Mexican cantina place. It was pretty poor. That pub round by Hocus Pocus is normally pretty good though.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
stu1980

ponder wrote: It's a strange decision, as I'd have thought that, even though Merlin can control their own profit margins running their own food outlets, the guaranteed money that comes from franchising space out to established brands is something that's critical to the business.

A lot of people will choose the brand options, because they know what they're going to get. Theme park food is so inconsistent.

It's interesting that someone above mentioned Chessington removing various branded outlets, as something I noticed when I was there about 3 weeks ago was the number of people eating packed lunches on the lawn. Presumably that's what Merlin are looking to avoid?
We opted for the Mexican cantina place. It was pretty poor. That pub round by Hocus Pocus is normally pretty good though.
And thats the key here i think get rid of the brands we know and like and merlin have the full run - in time this means more spend by us which in turn means more money for merlin quite a good idea really. Look at how much merlin are taking now with PPB and new chicken place in x sector - now wipe off the 3 BK outlets and put them under merlin control and profits again rise.
ponder

Yeah, I understand why they're doing it, but there are no guarantees for them. If Original Burger Co. flops then they don't hit their intended profit margins, plus they have to factor in seasonal spikes. With a franchise, it's a guaranteed, contracted income.

With theme parks being so seasonal, reliant on weather etc, you'd have thought some guaranteed income amongst all the variables would be a positive thing.

stu1980

ponder wrote: Yeah, I understand why they're doing it, but there are no guarantees for them. If Original Burger Co. flops then they don't hit their intended profit margins, plus they have to factor in seasonal spikes. With a franchise, it's a guaranteed, contracted income.

With theme parks being so seasonal, reliant on weather etc, you'd have thought some guaranteed income amongst all the variables would be a positive thing.
Ive said it in a few posts and say it again i fully think the same way - I used to work at the tower and did 7 full year service and winter there and left one year after merlin took it over they did the same thing there - for people who dont know there was 7 shops and 2 food outlets under the tower - only 1 is still there as they are still under contract from the old days - But the other food outlet is now part of a arcade and the other shops have gone one forms the new back doors on bank hey street - Again dont no why they did it as they used to be charged alot of money but now its lost money in my eyes more so here - thoughts merlin have took alot of money out of the parks etc and just want full control now so they can run them as they want.
AdrenalineAlex

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - no more XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger meals :(
ImURNemesis

In all honesty, I'm glad they are moving away from big brands and high street fast food places by putting in their own brands. A theme park is meant to be a palce of escapism and having a Burger king doesn't help with that. And it means more profit will go to Merlin (Since they like money grabing  :P) and hopefully this will leave them with more money to invest in the park.

On the down side it means no more whoppers!  :(
jamesc

Ok, so I wonder what that means for KFC and Pizza Hut at Thorpe Park then.

Will they also go!
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
Nightfall

Thorpe Park's KFC will probably survive a bit longer. It was the only one not to be removed when the other parks changed to the Chicken Co. because Thorpe's KFC is actually quite good.

As for Burger Kings removal I'm for it. I might complain about Merlin for a great number of reasons but not for their food. Before they took over I always brought a picnic along to any Theme Park trip. The standard of UK Theme Park food used to be sub-par at best and diabolical at worse. And the worst offenders tended to be these high street chains which charged way more than their street equivalents for often dodgy quality because they know people would chose the recognised brand. But since Merlin took over I’ve really enjoyed a meal at the parks and can’t complain about the value for money either.

That’s not to say Merlin’s complete monopoly doesn’t bother me but as long as they keep the prices level and the quality high then I’m happy.
[align=center]Image[/align]
JoyfulSin

When McDonald's left, I was disappointed as it was good value for money (at the time) and I particularly enjoyed the theming inside the large one by the old Toyland Tours. Truly magical for a little child! However, when I returned a few years later to find that BK had totally rethemed the inside and Toyland Tours had gone,  I felt like a piece of my childhood had disappeared!

I just don't enjoy BK and I will be glad to see it go.

How do the prices at BK in AT compare to service station ones? The inflation in price is just ridiculous!
ryanlovesaltontowers

AdrenalineAlex wrote: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - no more XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger meals :(
Thats the only reason I go to BK!

In all fairness though, even though I would love to see a merlin own brand in park instead of BK, the menu needs to be larger than just 4 things, there is hardly any choice. The same could be said for the Fried Chicken Co, as when that opened the majority of people I know who have visited it have been disappointed at the lack of choice and missed KFC. I know lots of people like the theming in the Fried Chicken Co, but I find it kind of tacky. The colours do not match, theres a cheap style photo wall and its lacking a themed music track.

Anyways, I digress, I'm happy for Burger King to be replaced, as long as the menu choice is broadened, and the restaurants/outlets aren't given cheap rethemes and made tacky.

Also, as a side note, I noticed on a recent visit to the water park that the logo for 'The Original Sandwich Co' features a tractor?! This surely does not fit with the Cariba Creek theming, and seems to have been the least edited branding for a Merlin outlet on park!
Last edited by ryanlovesaltontowers on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponder

Nightfall wrote:
That’s not to say Merlin’s complete monopoly doesn’t bother me but as long as they keep the prices level and the quality high then I’m happy.
They fail to do that while they have on-park competition from the 'big brands'. What makes you think they'll manage it when they have a monopoly?

I get the escapism thing, but having generic chicken, pizza and burger outlets is not really any better than a Burger King or a KFC. It's not like any of them are themed like in the Florida parks. They're just bog standard high street style cafes selling bog standard food at inflated prices.

I disagree with it purely because I'd rather have the choice.

bensaund

If the burgers are anything like the crap we got at Legoland back in 2008, then there will be no way I would ever go there. It is hit a miss with Merlin food.

Pizza Pasta, not as good as Pizza hut but good price and ok  quality.
Chicken is ok, but like eating Tesco value

I know why Merlin want their own brand, but they should consider brands as people know what they are going to get, rather than the 'unknown'. I bet if you converted the Towers Family restaurant into a Nandos it would be packed.
If you go down to the woods today
Themeparksandy1981

I wish they would invest in a good priced sandwich restaurant or takeaway. If Alton Towers did a deal of a sandwich,pack of crisps,a piece of fruit or cake and a hot or cold drink for £5 then they will make a killing and the GP will be happy.