The London Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
arsenalfan-1

Has anyone else noticed that on the image of Paramount's plan for the park that there is what looks like a huge out and back coaster going over the hills!  ;)
Thanks Lewis97
ADM182

High hopes indeed, but it wont be ready for 3/4 years and even then they never open with a full set of rides so proberly 7/8 years before its a major rival to Alton Towers and if Merlin react it could be 10/15 years before its a good alternative.

however, if there were to be a StarTrek themed mega dark ride I would be there in a heartbeat with my wallet open!
bensaund

Oh if they did we would be buying an annual pass
If you go down to the woods today
truckaddict

Is the park actually happening

Bi and proud
abigsmurf

Given what's happening in other countries it seems unlikely.

If it is happening though, progress will be very very slow and it'll take a long time before they actively build it.
SmilingMonkey

abigsmurf wrote: Given what's happening in other countries it seems unlikely.

If it is happening though, progress will be very very slow and it'll take a long time before they actively build it.
I thought the Murcia oark was only months away from breaking ground? There's an office on site ready to get going anyway... due for opening in 2015.

The UK one however, probably 2016.
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure
MJNemesis

If it does go ahead it may be a decade until it's fully up and running but hopefully there will be no height restrictions!

The whole height restriction policies at our best parks is a shame. I know we would probably never have had Nemesis but we may have had something resembling Alpengeist instead. AT having to paint the top of Corkscrew green really took the biscuit. It was 75ft  :lol:

Merlin generates so much revenue and gate prices are ridiculous but we get a good coaster then a year later Six Flags or Cedar build the same style but make it much bigger and often better.

Could do us good to have some real competition for Merlin. Perhaps some competitive pricing and major coasters that aren't just B&M, Intamin or Gerstlauer.
Owen

It has now been pretty much approved and Is set to open in 2018
andy86

I think it would be safe to say that height restrictions would be nil at this park, considering its location and relative space. I just hope for some wonderful large scale rides, the one thing I do fear is making sure they hire the right staff to make families welcome in the park. After all I hate the thought of it becoming a foul mouthed teenagers paradise, but I genuinely think with the right marketing that wouldn't happen.
Benjsh

Thrillmad wrote: It has now been pretty much approved and Is set to open in 2018
Providing they can get the capial to fund it, it will be. At the moment they are no nearer than me and you in that regard. NOTHING is confirmed yet.

The enthusiast in me wants this to happen so much but I just don't see it happening sadly. Paramount have become a bit of a joke in the last few years in the Theme Park industry. All talk and no action. Meanwhile Universal and Disney are opening parks all over the place in the Far East.

I reckon this Park has a 5% chance at best of happening. I could sketch up plans for a £3.2 billion theme park but actually coming up with the cash is an entirely different thing all together. I hope I'm proved wrong though.
Owen

Benjsh wrote:
Thrillmad wrote: It has now been pretty much approved and Is set to open in 2018
Providing they can get the capial to fund it, it will be. At the moment they are no nearer than me and you in that regard. NOTHING is confirmed yet.

The enthusiast in me wants this to happen so much but I just don't see it happening sadly. Paramount have become a bit of a joke in the last few years in the Theme Park industry. All talk and no action. Meanwhile Universal and Disney are opening parks all over the place in the Far East.

I reckon this Park has a 5% chance at best of happening. I could sketch up plans for a £3.2 billion theme park but actually coming up with the cash is an entirely different thing all together. I hope I'm proved wrong though.
It was in the news the other day! They have baking from the government!
abigsmurf

It's been approved but their (public) proposals so far have been basically "on the condition of getting funding".

It's a huge amount of capital to invest, even if it's incredibly promising. May be another theme park south of London (just) but you couldn't hope for better transport links with it being supplied directly by mainline rail and a bypass.

Think it'll be reliant on money from the UAE or Dubai.

To see how fickle 'approved' projects can be, you only have to look at another Thames development; Battersea. It should've been a mall +entertainment complex a decade or so ago but the money never happened. Likewise the planned apartment complex looks set to have funding problems.
andy86

Too much capital has been flowing in from the middle east, in investor terms they should look to the far east or the Americas for investment. I actually think its important not to rush these projects, I believe if its approved the local council are looking at a variant of the b crossing option for road traffic. Undoubtedly the local infrastructure will need work before the park opens, even with the good transport links.
Benjsh

Of course it has been backed by the government. It promises to bring 27,000 jobs to that area. Only a foolish Politician would be against it.

But publically approving of something and stumping up 3.2 billion Dollars is an entirely different thing. The government aren't investing a penny so unless Paramount can raise the neccessary capital through investment, it will remain a pipe dream sadly.

Interestingly, nobody has taken them up on their previous 4 attempts to open a Paramount park elsewhere in the world.

Like I said. 5% chance at best.
Themeparksandy1981

Reading this is a little worrying: Paramount Movie Park Korea is a theme park and resort complex that was scheduled to open in Incheon, South Korea in 2011, however construction has yet to start.
clayj

[align=center]Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ[/align]
Benjsh

Watch the excuses start to flood in over the next few years.

Never guna get built this park. Not a chance.
abigsmurf

Jumping spiders can't be that rare, I'm sure I've seen them in my garden before (they're fairly tiny, only a bit bigger than moneyspiders)...

Anyway, the Jumping spiders aren't yet protected by law so it shouldn't really have any effect unless they're chasing a bit of good PR.
Jammydodger

Sounds like PR stunt to me, at the very least its confirmation the park is actually being constructed.
Benjsh

Jammydodger wrote: Sounds like PR stunt to me, at the very least its confirmation the park is actually being constructed.
How exactly does it prove that? They haven't raised any money yet that we know of. It's still pipe dream stuff until they raise £2bn. Easier said than done in the current financial climate.

This park will never get built. You can almost bet your last penny on it. None of the previous 4 paramount parks have come to fruition. I don't expect this to be any different.