The London Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Qzzb_UK

I believe that it might be alot easier to build these projects in the US than in the UK, especially back when Disneyland was created - we unfortunately have a-lot of health and safety and paperwork these days. 
Ensee

Every country has a strict permitting system, and the UK's is a lot less proscriptive than others. We tend to have high standards that you say you'll adhere to - it's up to the developer to meet them: the local authority won't double check every single element before work starts. In fact, the NSIP path that this is taking might even help this development get around some of the more nimby-ish tendencies of UK development.

I think that Universal will ultimately end up taking the helm here as another Wizarding World outpost. It's likely the only IP (if we must use that term) that can draw a significant audience from across Europe and maintain the park's popularity over the decades needed to recoup investment.  And let's not dwell on the potential impact of Brexit on the construction and leisure industries. 
Spyke

Is there any truth to this Universal Studios London rumour? It seemed to have sprung out of the blue?
Swarm Chris

Spyke wrote:Is there any truth to this Universal Studios London rumour? It seemed to have sprung out of the blue?
It's all speculation at the moment.

With the park's intention to be a large resort that rivals Disneyland Paris from the start, then a company like Universal who can bring a lot of attractions, IP and know-how, would be a very good fit for the development. The other option for a single studio investment I can see is Warner Brothers.

Universal have already tried once in Europe and pulled out, but with Disney increasing the investment in Paris, they may want to have another try. However, I'm not sure they would be able to use any Harry Potter IP in the UK, as Warner Brothers already operate an attraction with that IP in the UK. Given the value of that IP, I could see Warner Brothers investing and making their own version of the Wizarding World.

This is all of course if the project goes anywhere.
Spyke

As far as I’ve read Universal have exclusive theme park right for Harry Potter so I can’t see WB building their own Universal.

They have Harry Potter as a major part of their Hollywood tour and Hollywood also has a Wizarding World so I don’t see it out of the realms of possibility - especially when all the merchandise from the UK Tour is made by Universal.
Spyke

Spyke wrote:As far as I’ve read Universal have exclusive theme park right for Harry Potter so I can’t see WB building their own Universal.

They have Harry Potter as a major part of their Hollywood tour and Hollywood also has a Wizarding World so I don’t see it out of the realms of possibility - especially when all the merchandise from the UK Tour is made by Universal.
Building their own Wizarding World Park I meant to write not WB building their own Universal
Ladyofthelake

As of yesterday (19th September), it's been a full 12 months since the last official press release from London Resort Company Holdings. Their Facebook page has also been seemingly abandoned with no posts since 19th September last year. Whilst there was a project update meeting with the planning body last March, there doesn't appear to have been any further news since.

I'm beginning to think that things are almost at the point where this project will go one of two ways - either we'll get an announcement detailing either a new partner for the project, or the long awaited final public consultations, or we'll get an announcement that the project isn't going to be progressed any further. Either way, LRCH need to say something one way or the other soon.
theparklifekid

Interestingly enough, the website lists an email and a phone number which you can contact for any questions.

I decided to phone them and it goes strait to a dead number, hanging up strait away. I then sent an email but got a response saying that the email domain can't be found or doesn't exist.
This possibly means that they've deactivated all contact details other than the address they've listed on the website, which just leads to the office of the parent company.

So, I think the park is a ghost project or possibly an investment scam at this point. No details for a long time, nothing on the social medias for a year, avoiding public communication. I truly believe the project to be dead and as much as I would like a Universal/High quality park in the UK, I have major doubts that it will be happening anytime soon. 
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Qzzb_UK

Thats interesting, the email at the bottom of the site is for londonresortcompanyholdings.co.uk - I dont think that was there before. A whois search also shows that the website has never been registered before. Looking up a old copy of the website (captured in August) via the internet archive, the number and email, as well as post address has changed. 

Archive from 9th August 2018: https://web.archive.org/web/20180809015 ... #contactus
Sozzy40

I am 92% sure that this won’t happen. I mainly think that this is as the people running in bit off more than they can chew. A small park may work, which is what I want to see, may work.
Katie wrote:London Paramount is going to be more than just a theme park. Included within the current proposals are plans for a whole resort full of a whole range of facilities and attractions to make London Paramount a true entertainment resort and holiday destination for people from the UK and abroad.

Included in current plans are:
  • A 25,000 m2 Waterpark - stated to be a 'unique visitor experience', and plans state that the area set aside for the waterpark does not include any attached hotel suggesting we perhaps could see a Splash Landings style hotel/waterpark arrangement.
  • A 1500 seat theatre which will be home to West End Style shows
  • Nightclubs
  • Event and conference facilities
  • Business hub
  • 5000 Hotel rooms
  • Retail and Food and Beverage space
To support the resort, up to 14,000 parking spaces will be created, with the possibility of some being in the form of multi storey car parks, as well as a range of other transport infrastructure.

If all this becomes a reality, it will be a fantastic resort, which will offer a range of varying facilities and activities for guests to visit and enjoy. I myself am quite interested to see the type of shows that will feature in the theatre as that is a significant capacity to fill.

What does everyone else think about the proposals for the resort? Is there anything extra you'd like to see?
That just makes it sound ridiculously ambitious.
Last edited by Sozzy40 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can see why the beornen worship Wicker Man
Htjc_

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/n ... st-192272/

Not sure of this link will work, not been on this site for very long, but this looks pretty promising.
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!
Chris
Admin
Admin

We have also expanded on the article with our own:

https://www.southparks.co.uk/2018/10/26 ... on-resort/

Encouraging news!
Ladyofthelake

I will be honest, with the lack of press releases over the last 12 months I had pretty much given up hope on this project ever happening. However, this news has made me feel that there is still a chance for London Resort. A company the size of Keltbray surely wouldn't get involved with a project if if didn't have any chance of success. Hopefully this means we'll start to see a little more news come through now, although I do think there is still an awful long way to go until plans are in any state to be submitted, and I'd be surprised if they go in next year.
Spyke

I have my doubts also but I'm praying that the Universal Studios rumours are true. It would make for a far superior destination for both us and our neighbouring countries and would be very different addition to the parks we already have
abigsmurf

https://blooloop.com/news/keltbray-to-i ... paramount/

Some actual activity.  £25 million investment (which presumably will come with conditions about being involved in the construction) from a big established construction company that has been involved in other large projects in the capital and I would assume are not the type to back a project with a dubious chance of getting off the ground.

Also a more solid promise of IPs being announced by the end of the year.
Bert

abigsmurf wrote:
Also a more solid promise of IPs being announced by the end of the year.
I bet it’s gonna be delayed...
[Insert Signature Here]
Ladyofthelake

The news about the Keltbray investment is the same news SouthParks reported on a few days ago.

I'm not sure where Blooloop have got the information on about the IPs being disclosed by the end of the year, however I'm not sure that that can be seen as accurate as their article states that the Paramount partnership ended earlier this year, when in fact it ended in June 2017 - almost 18 months ago. There is a lot of speculation and rumour surrounding this project, especially given the number of delays and long periods of time without any official news.
nicky.borrill

6 years now and... Well... basically nothing. I dont think this is going to happen. Shame.
PhNx Survivor

nicky.borrill wrote:6 years now and... Well... basically nothing. I dont think this is going to happen. Shame.
I see why you say this, but there’s been a lot of projects in the past that have taken a very long time to achieve. Not necessarily in this sort of entertainment, i.e video games, movies, cars, etc..

And like ‘Ladyofthelake’ and ‘abigsmurf’ has stated, I don’t think a company as big as Keltbray would get involved in a project like this if it weren’t going to happen. The last few weeks/months we’ve been hearing more info, yes it’s slow but at least it’s something.. I do believe this project is now picking up.. but I would agree that nows a good time to shift into second gear :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
nicky.borrill

PhNx Survivor wrote:
nicky.borrill wrote:6 years now and... Well... basically nothing. I dont think this is going to happen. Shame.
I see why you say this, but there’s been a lot of projects in the past that have taken a very long time to achieve. Not necessarily in this sort of entertainment, i.e video games, movies, cars, etc..

And like ‘Ladyofthelake’ and ‘abigsmurf’ has stated, I don’t think a company as big as Keltbray would get involved in a project like this if it weren’t going to happen. The last few weeks/months we’ve been hearing more info, yes it’s slow but at least it’s something.. I do believe this project is now picking up.. but I would agree that nows a good time to shift into second gear :lol
Well I should probably elaborate a little. Of course something is going to happen, it’s prime real estate with national significant infrastructure status... But I don’t think we’re going to get the theme park we’re all hoping for, unfortunately. A big property developer is now involved. I think the focus will shift more toward hotels, retail, offices and other smaller leisure facilities. There may be a theme park still, but my predicition is it will be nowhere near the scale we all want it to be, nor the scale of anything we already have even.