The London Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dungeon-X-Smile

Scarlyboo22 wrote:I agree. The paramount park will probably never get built anyway?
That's what I'm thinking. It just doesn't look likely by this point, and even if it does go through, it looks like it will be heavily underfunded. Alton Towers does have budget issues, but at least they're trying new things and creating world class rides. 
So, personally, I don't think Alton Towers has any threat, never mind it becoming obsolete. 
Stan.H

If the Paramount Park does go ahead it'll be up against parks like Disneyland Paris, PortAventura and Europa Park. Not the Merlin UK parks or local parks. I doubt it'll detract business from Towers at all, as it will attract a different type of market sector. 
Qzzb_UK

Once again news that the submission has been pushed back to 2019....

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/n ... in-182238/

It was a longshot to think that this would actually happen before, but now I think that there is no hope. The articles also mentions about how locals were excited but now getting bored of it so chances are planning wont even be granted now. 
Robert.W

I've officially given up on this project. Like the local people, I actually just don't care about the project anymore. It's a shame. London Resort could have been something pretty special for the UK theme park industry. 

Qzzb_UK

Robert.W wrote:I've officially given up on this project. Like the local people, I actually just don't care about the project anymore. It's a shame. London Resort could have been something pretty special for the UK theme park industry. 
I am a local person. I was keen on it merely in the hope that it would stimulate the theme park industry and that it might give Merlin a run for its money... due to the size. Merlin as a monopoly on parks, especially in the south/London border. A different player can only spur on innovation and competitiveness between the companies. 
Swarm Chris

Just looked at their Companies House listing, two complusory strike off warnings and a seemingly revolving door of directors.

Yeah, someone else is going to build houses there.
Qzzb_UK

Great... so nothing interesting happening except for a more congested train every day.....

I just noticed that TTSP have now posted this as news about a hour after I posted the link - so assume that the post informed them of the announcement... 

Thats all you need to know about the popularity of the project, the fact that the news seemed to go under the radar for 24 hours before it was picked up
Last edited by Dan on Tue May 01, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post
Dan

We were aware of the annoucement yesterday evening, however due to real life, and getting the Land of the Tiger article out promptly, we were only able to get an article out tonight :)

Anyway, I now have no belief that this project will ever see the light of day. As others have said, it was very ambitious and would have been great for the UK theme park industry, but there have been so many setbacks now I don’t see how the project will go ahead, at least not to the scale of the proposed development.
Ladyofthelake

Qzzb_UK wrote:Great... so nothing interesting happening except for a more congested train every day.....

I just noticed that TTSP have now posted this as news about a hour after I posted the link - so assume that the post informed them of the announcement... 

Thats all you need to know about the popularity of the project, the fact that the news seemed to go under the radar for 24 hours before it was picked up
We were aware of the news prior to your post, however due to us all being volunteers and doing our work on TTSP in addition to having full time jobs we could only get the news up this evening, bearing in mind the Land of the Tiger article was published yesterday too.

Sadly I do think this project has had too many delays and setbacks now. This is the first we've heard from LRCH in over 6 months which whilst isn't necessarily unusual with large projects, it is concerning from a project that has been promising a round of public consultations for over two years now. Even if they are still developing plans, they should have enough to consult on which in turn would feed into further development of the plans.
abigsmurf

I'm not sure there will ever be a better location for a theme park than this. The only reason I can see for this having so little progress is that the people in charge have lost all appetite for the project and are waiting for someone to buy the land off of them.

Ideal chance for Universal to get a foothold in Europe, building a park from scratch rather than buying a struggling one.
PhNx Survivor

Qzzb_UK wrote:Once again news that the submission has been pushed back to 2019....

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/n ... in-182238/
Is the link still working? I can’t open the article.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Dan

PhNx Survivor wrote:Is the link still working? I can’t open the article.
It appears that the entire Kent Online website is down, as I can't even access the homepage.

The SouthParks article containing all the information regarding the delay can be found here.
PhNx Survivor

Dan wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:Is the link still working? I can’t open the article.
It appears that the entire Kent Online website is down, as I can't even access the homepage.

The SouthParks article containing all the information regarding the delay can be found here.
Thank you :)
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Dan

Further details of the proposals for London Resort have emerged today, including new plans to deliver the scheme in two phases, as well as revealing developers are close to agreements with six IP partners for phase 1.

SouthParks News have all the details.
abigsmurf

3500 rooms. That's a lot of rooms. Admittedly the hotels have Thames Clipper access so they'll serve as useful hotels for staying in London but it's very optimistic still.

Really hoping this isn't just a scheme so they can get the infrastructure built and then turn around and say they can't build the park after all but they could build housing....
ThemeCrafter264

This does remind me of another major theme park resort in France that was plagued with problems and was far too ambitions. Does Disneyland Paris ring a bell?
Robert.W

3500 is indeed a lot, but they are saying they will be building the majority in the first phase, so they will likely build maybe 2500 to 3000 in the first phase, which I think is a somewhat sensible number, and if things are bad, then they can revise any further accommodation plans for the second phase. To be honest, doing the whole project in two separate phases is pretty sensible if you ask me.

I have to say, this latest update, whilst small, and with the development still way behind schedule, it has given me some renewed confidence that it can still happen. 

Chris
Admin
Admin

Yes, same.

The amount of information in the update shows that LRCH have been very busy. Not that it is too relevant at the planning stage, but they should really keep the general public up to date a bit more to encourage consistent support for the project.

Most people have given up hope!
Qzzb_UK

Does anyone know where this information was announced? The article doesn’t give any sources and the website/twitter for London resort hasn’t been updated
Ladyofthelake

As stated in the article, the information is from a meeting held between the Government Planning Inspectorate and LRCH on 9th March of which details were made available to SouthParks last night. I'm afraid we can't link to the source as it's not a source that can be linked to. I can assure you that it is 100% genuine though.