Is Rita worth it?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Marcus

I have never been on rita before (due to long queues) but is it worth it? I have been on stealth loads of times before and its 20mph faster.
Kenzie2012

Personal opinion of everybody is different.

Some people let themselves dislike the ride because of its akward positioning and the lack of storyline.

Personally, i love it!! Front row or back row you pull some awsome G and your guaranteed a smile.

just be crafty witht he que and aim for lunchtime when the ques at its quickest
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
PeteB

Erm.. when did stealth become 20mph faster?  :?

Anyways, Rita is a decent ride but not great. I find the launch more satisfying than Stealth's, it seems be slightly more powerful and lasts longer.

However as you've just said about the queues, it's usually the 1 ride in the park that I'm quite happy to miss out.  The queue is nothing short of painful. Wouldn't be so bad if they'd made the queue line interesting and themed but the fact it's just a cattle pen almost kills me.

Quite frankly it's the worst ride at Alton Towers, on par with CATCF, and I refuse to go on unless the queue time is well under 30 minutes.
ImURNemesis

Rita as a ride is very good but...

Queue is terrible! It's just a large cattlepin, nothing intersting to see, no backstory to follow and just dull!

Rita is best being riden at the end of the day rather than the start, when the crowds die down. If you can't wait until then buy a fastrack for Rita or try the singleriders queue.

Rita has been given mixed views by enthusiasts but the only way you can judge it for yourself is...

To ride it!  :roll:
The Moon

PeteB wrote: Erm.. when did stealth become 20mph faster?  :?
When it was built.  8)

I think you need to ride it at least once, make what you will of it and then make a conclusion. I despise it and see it as rusting, wasted metal not worth the rubbish name it has been given, but some think it's the best thing since the best thing since sliced bread. It's all subjective.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Nightfall

PeteB wrote: Erm.. when did stealth become 20mph faster?  :?
Stealth reaches 80mph and Rita makes just over 60mph, at least that's what the marketing says. Have you heard differently?

As for my opinion if the queue is long then Rita’s not worth it. It's a dreadful queue and as the park offers many better rides with half the wait I tend to give Rita a miss. I also prefer Stealth. Although there's less to it I find the launch to be much more satisfying (no lethal banking immediately after takeoff) and both the height and return journey add a different experience. The turns on Rita while forceful (which a lot of people enjoy) just don’t do much for me.
[align=center]Image[/align]
bensaund

The facts on speed, can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerator_Coaster (I'm sure they are correct, but somebody will correct me or hopefully update Wilipedia if they are wrong.

Once you have done Stealth, Rita is like a failed Orgasm, it starts off like its going to be great, then round the first corner it looses speed and is disappointing.

It is not worth 45-90 mins queue which it always has. But if you have never done it, for sure do it once to see if you like it.

As for pulling power, Stealth is much faster and forceful. If I'm correct Rita has 18 hydraulic motors, Stealth has 24 http://stealth.thorpepark.com/drawing_board/how_does_it_work.asp?css=0 Stealth has 205ft to climb, Rita is like going over a speed hump
If you go down to the woods today
Fantasmic

It's good, but not worth more than a 15 min queue!
Luce

I think Rita's worth queuing for although it has got pretty rough and jolty of late.  I agree with Fantasmic with regard to the queue length so it'd be best to catch a ride early in the day or near the end of the day.
NoseyElephant

I think it is worth it and to be honest whenever i've been there has never really been a massive queue, but maybe im just lucky  :D
I think its better than stealth, at the end of the day on stealth you go zoom - up - down - end, whereas at least on rita you get more of a ride. But then again, i like the height you get on stealth  :P
bensaund

But on Stealth you get that extra force, height then you get the downhill force then the airtime hill.

Apart from the sharp jolt to the right as it goes round the first bend, Rita doesn't offer much more.
amy0192

I LIKE Rita, but I don't love it. It's GOOD, but it isn't great. If the queues long, I won't queue for it. In my opinion, I think that the climax and if my memory serves me well, the ONLY climax of the ride for me, is the launch. And yeah, I do like the launch. I like the whole traffic light thing, things like that like when you're hanging over the edge of the Oblivion drop, those sort of things really get me. I think you have to experience it at least once to gauge how you feel about it yourself. Some people love it, some people hate it. I'm somewhere in the middle. It's not awesome, but I feel like if Rita was somewhere else that wasn't Alton, then I'd like it more and think it was a pretty damn cool ride. The thing with me is that I regard mostly everything at Alton SO highly and most of my favorite rides are situated there, so when one ride is even a little bit below par, it's automatically a big let down, you know? Either way, it's one to experience for yourself! :D
Don't be scared to walk alone, don't be scared to like it.
tallicay2k

If i dont get on the ride during my visit then i wouldnt be down about it as i definatly wouldnt queue for it for as long as it takes me to take a dump...
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
ponder

Rita's alright. Nothing more, nothing less. I'd always want to ride it when I visit Alton Towers, as I generally want to ride all the major coasters and attractions, but it's not worth more than a 30 minute queue.

I know it's subjective, but it baffles me how anyone could even put Rita in the same ball park as Stealth, let alone prefer it. I see Rita as a filler attraction, whereas Stealth is one of the most exhilarating coasters in the country.

Perhaps if Alton/Intamin had the balls to give Rita lapbars, then those hills might just produce worthwhile airtime, which would improve the ride ten-fold. I've never understood the need for OSTRs on Rita. All they do is cause pain and discomfort, and lessen the thrill.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
The Moon

Intamin used to offer both OTSR's and lapbars, but they now only offer OTSR's on Accelerators. I believe because of Darrien Lake.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
ponder

Rita opened before that though, didn't it?

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
The Moon

Well, someone was thrown in '99 not fatally and in '11, fatally, so they have been ultra careful since. All accelerators after TTD are OTSR's.

Toke up...
bensaund

I did Rita 3 times, only because I had priority passes, I think I have been a little harsh on the girl, she gave me a good ride in the dark and today, but still not as good as Stealth.

Can anyone ask me why some seats now have long seatbelts and some still have the old mega short short seat belts?
The Moon

People of the larger... Girth... Have to sit in them.

Toke up...
bensaund

yes some of us are larger and for me I don't drink larger... but if some seats have longer belts, why not indicate this "Larger seats in row 5 and 6" for example, rather than the current random pot luck.

For me I can either just plug in the seat belt myself or I need 2 members of staff to push down for the stupid short belts.... something like keeping the belts all the same length can't be that difficult to get right.