Random ideas

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Rollermad

This is basically for random ideas;
Slamurai! If you tilt samurais main axel then put it on the end of slammer you would get Slamurai! (Fail Name!) What do you think!
wowk94

Put special lighting projectors up in the tree's around Gloomy wood. Then project ghostly shadows flickering from side to side in the woods itself. Because the projections will be in the woods themselves they will be in the shade so even in the day you will be able to see the projections. Just would make the gloomy wood area a little bit more thrilling.
leammiles

photo opportunities in queue lines.

in the nemesis queue line have a cage made out of tentacles that you can have your photo taken inside of.

i also like the CGI photo booth in the ice age cinema, they could have things like that on other rides, but make them optional so they don't slow the queue down.

things to pass the time on those long days basically.

I loved on nemesis sub terra, they sent one of the staff down the queue line to walk really slowly and freak people out, it was a really nice touch.
scw55

Wooden Shuttle/Vertical Drop/Inverted Coaster.

You heard it here first.
MattsDesigns

This isn't so much an idea so much as positive feeback of past ideas.

WESTERN FILM MUSIC: I don't know if its magic by association(from many Chessie visits) or "indigenous" magic, but I find something very magical about the western style sound track music.
Most famous is The Good, Bad, Ugly themetune: it takes me right to Chessington & Thorpe Park.

I guess the whole Western Theme so far is a bit unsung so I wanted to say something. Maybe its late in the day to be bringing it up but I def think theres something in it.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Dom

a vertical drop coaster mixed with a tower drop ride mixed with an air style would be cool. so you board the seat. then it fold backwards and u go up the lift hill legs first and then you go over the drop in the tower drop style and then it turns into a flying coaster and flips back over at the end
leammiles

I'd like to see a ride similar to Th13teen but with the drop section used differently.

Instead of the whole track dropping vertically, how about the track has a pivot point.

Here is a quick picture of what i mean

You exit the station backwards onto the pink section of track.  This track has a pivot point at the far end which, when triggers, drops forwards to connect with a track which drops downwards (it wouldn't have to be vertical, thats just how I've drawn it in this example).

The rest would then be a rollercoaster in the dark/underground
MattsDesigns

Oh that would be pretty cool. I guess you would need some good breaks to hold it until the track is fully engaged with the lower track but you know, very doable really.
Great illustraitions btw -makes it fun & easier to understand.
scw55

Reminds me of the infamous tilt coasters. They use breaks and hooks to keep the car safe whilst it pivots.

I've always fantasised about a vertical loop that drops as the car goes round it. But that would be dangerous.
Krazycoaster

leammiles wrote: I'd like to see a ride similar to Th13teen but with the drop section used differently.

Instead of the whole track dropping vertically, how about the track has a pivot point.

You exit the station backwards onto the pink section of track.  This track has a pivot point at the far end which, when triggers, drops forwards to connect with a track which drops downwards (it wouldn't have to be vertical, thats just how I've drawn it in this example).

I created a complex design for a coaster like this a few years back, i'll see if I can find the files. My idea was that an entire train, like The Tilt Coaster, would tilt on the track so that when the train is released it would travel backwards. I was thinking Intamin (similar track and trains to Th13teen)
scw55

Krazycoaster wrote:
I created a complex design for a coaster like this a few years back, i'll see if I can find the files. My idea was that an entire train, like The Tilt Coaster, would tilt on the track so that when the train is released it would travel backwards. I was thinking Intamin (similar track and trains to Th13teen)
I had the same idea too. It was more of a smaller-scale Tilt Coaster to lend itself well to Dark-Ride Coasters.
Krazycoaster

scw55 wrote:
Krazycoaster wrote:
I had the same idea too. It was more of a smaller-scale Tilt Coaster to lend itself well to Dark-Ride Coasters.
That's what I was thinking! A perfect design for a dark coaster!
amy0192

This is completely out there, I know. I was thinking though, and how cool would an interactive rollercoaster be?! "Interactive" is obviously a wide term and very interpretable, but I was thinking a kind of rollercoaster where there is forks in the track and stuff and there's buttons in every carriage of the train. Then you all have to decide which way you want to go and press a button for left or right/up or down ecetera, and then the majority rules which way the train goes. That way you'll get a really unpredictable ride and while it's just a dream; no denying it would be AWESOME. You could also have clues on/around the track as to which way is the right way to go and make it kind of like a competition to see if you can reach the end of the ride having went all the right ways. But all that nonsense aside, I would like to see a Z-Day scare maze. One where you go into a hospital or something and the doctors are all in the wards and stuff and it's just business as normal. Then, there starts being whispers of an unknown virus taking over the hospital and strange symptoms they've never seen before. They try to operate but one patient scratches a doctor and then he becomes infected and it just goes from there, and you have to try and escape the hospital or something. Again, this part is just dreaming but what if that was interactive too? Like you could get actors fully dressed as zombies, and then they could chase you around and you could pick things like guns up (lasers anyone?) and try to shoot them. You could even have things like windows you could board up and defenses you could build. I don't think either is something that's gonna happen, at Alton anyway, but I'd love them to be somewhere, haha! In fact they may have already been established somewhere and it's slipped my mind. Oh well.  :lol:
Don't be scared to walk alone, don't be scared to like it.
Delta79

That hospital maze idea sound like lazershoot ( lazerquest type place) zombie time, a game they set up every Halloween.

Some of the staff and specially invited guest were zombies and changers (planted gamers that became zombies).
The zombies had hidden transmitters (scavenged from old gun and rebuilt to strap to fore arm) to kill the players.

The true player had to fight there way across the play area without being killed (zapped) by the zombies.

I used to go to this place every summer when I was on holiday, and got to know the guys well. i even started doing freelance gun repairs for them. The best part was being one of the specially invited guest to be a zombie/changer.

Oh happy days, shame it closed now  :cry:
amy0192

Delta79 wrote: That hospital maze idea sound like lazershoot ( lazerquest type place) zombie time, a game they set up every Halloween.

Some of the staff and specially invited guest were zombies and changers (planted gamers that became zombies).
The zombies had hidden transmitters (scavenged from old gun and rebuilt to strap to fore arm) to kill the players.

The true player had to fight there way across the play area without being killed (zapped) by the zombies.

I used to go to this place every summer when I was on holiday, and got to know the guys well. i even started doing freelance gun repairs for them. The best part was being one of the specially invited guest to be a zombie/changer.

Oh happy days, shame it closed now  :cry:
That sounds amazing! Unlucky that it closed, else I'd probably have to check that out! Sounds awesome, thanks for sharing  :D
Don't be scared to walk alone, don't be scared to like it.
Rollermad

amy0192 wrote: This is completely out there, I know. I was thinking though, and how cool would an interactive rollercoaster be?! "Interactive" is obviously a wide term and very interpretable, but I was thinking a kind of rollercoaster where there is forks in the track and stuff and there's buttons in every carriage of the train. Then you all have to decide which way you want to go and press a button for left or right/up or down ecetera, and then the majority rules which way the train goes. That way you'll get a really unpredictable ride and while it's just a dream; no denying it would be AWESOME. You could also have clues on/around the track as to which way is the right way to go and make it kind of like a competition to see if you can reach the end of the ride having went all the right ways. But all that nonsense aside, I would like to see a Z-Day scare maze. One where you go into a hospital or something and the doctors are all in the wards and stuff and it's just business as normal. Then, there starts being whispers of an unknown virus taking over the hospital and strange symptoms they've never seen before. They try to operate but one patient scratches a doctor and then he becomes infected and it just goes from there, and you have to try and escape the hospital or something. Again, this part is just dreaming but what if that was interactive too? Like you could get actors fully dressed as zombies, and then they could chase you around and you could pick things like guns up (lasers anyone?) and try to shoot them. You could even have things like windows you could board up and defenses you could build. I don't think either is something that's gonna happen, at Alton anyway, but I'd love them to be somewhere, haha! In fact they may have already been established somewhere and it's slipped my mind. Oh well.  :lol:
leammiles wrote: I'd like to see a ride similar to Th13teen but with the drop section used differently.

These have both been made. The horror maze is at fugi-Q higland in Japan. They have a haunted hospital. The rollercoaster they kind of have. Gravity Max Is a tilt coaster in asia. Also Gravity Max tilts with the pivot in the middle, if the pivot was at the end the track/train would be very... Unstable, anti weight resistant. Basically top heavy
MattsDesigns

This idea would require knowledge of exactly what the effect was going to be otherwise I don't think people will pick it up.

Ghost footsteps

So you have a bunch of speakers under the floor in a footstep type succession and these individual speakers play knocks on the floor, going from one speaker to the next, just like real foot steps.

I think you would really need to make the public, very quiet and tell them too look actually look out for the footsteps or theyre not going to notice.

I also thought a quiet, narrow stream fan with a scent could be used - it could smell of clothes and period perfumes, e.g. of the Earl.
MattsDesigns

This is a small idea I had in bed but one that seems very practical and cheap.

Temporary Canvas Tunnels

They can be added to a ride for short terms to give variation aswell as providing advertising space.
Fog can be added via a hose. Light effects are even possible but should probably be sewn in to the fabric to minimize the possiblity of something coming lose when people speed through these tunnels and 60 mph.

I forgot to say: This is by no means ONLY for oblivion. This can work on many coaster tracks.
...Oh and sorry to troll ya'll a bit with the fanta thing  :P
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N3m3s1s

MattsDesigns wrote: This is a small idea I had in bed but one that seems very practical and cheap.

Temporary Canvas Tunnels

They can be added to a ride for short terms to give variation aswell as providing advertising space.
Fog can be added via a hose. Light effects are even possible but should probably be sewn in to the fabric to minimize the possiblity of something coming lose when people speed through these tunnels and 60 mph.

I forgot to say: This is by no means ONLY for oblivion. This can work on many coaster tracks.
...Oh and sorry to troll ya'll a bit with the fanta thing  :P
Doesn't seem too...safe
MattsDesigns

I'm not sure to be honest. You can guarantee a certain amount of rigidity by bracing it with extra tent poles.
The idea doesn't thrill me that much but it seemed to be one that might actually work. Maybe like the invention off Pegs.

Oh and said poles would be on the OUTSIDE incase one came loose or some horrible crap like that.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.