The Future of Sonic Spinball

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
maliluph

It's going at the end of the season AFAIK.
dazza4783

I wouldn't be surprised to see Flamingo Land buy it and put it where corkscrew was. Although I would rather them put a woodie there instead.
Liam-AltonTowers

dazza4783 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see Flamingo Land buy it and put it where corkscrew was. Although I would rather them put a woodie there instead.
That would be so good if Flamingo Land bought it, their new ride Hero is shockingly bad trust me it hurts loads.
awsomelycoolboy

My personal opinion on this is that Sonic Spinball has server the park for 9 years (at the end of the 2014 season it will be 10! That's half of Nemmy!) and apart from the shaking of it, which to me (I no coaster expert) doesn't seem to be intended but back to my point. Sonic Spinball seems very 'independent' meaning it's the only coaster of that them in the area. (I not even sure what area it is classed in, wether it's towers street or storybook land.. But Sonic Spinball doesn't seem very fitting for Cbeebies land...) and the probability of sonic Spinball being moved to another location is hardly unlikely.
Danny

awsomelycoolboy wrote:My personal opinion on this is that Sonic Spinball has server the park for 9 years (at the end of the 2014 season it will be 10! That's half of Nemmy!) and apart from the shaking of it, which to me (I no coaster expert) doesn't seem to be intended but back to my point. Sonic Spinball seems very 'independent' meaning it's the only coaster of that them in the area. (I not even sure what area it is classed in, wether it's towers street or storybook land.. But Sonic Spinball doesn't seem very fitting for Cbeebies land...) and the probability of sonic Spinball being moved to another location is hardly unlikely.
Sonic is in its own area called 'Adventure Land'. It seems to be a good excuse to add another land to the line up :)
Jared

I think this year is it's last... ;)
jon18uk

I do really like Spinball though, it is a great little coaster and in its own way more fun than Oblivion or Smiler (Oblivion is scary, not fun!).

Yes it does stick out a bit right in front of the towers but if it goes then they need to add something similar back in, (a fun coaster suitable for most people) I think and there isn't many other places they could build.
stealthsmiler

I don't suppose AT would replace Sonic with a more permanent spinning coaster, that is well theme and fits in well.

My theory is that AT have done The Smiler for thrill seekers and Cebeebies Land for young ones so it's time for a family coaster. Also Sonic is the perfect family coaster that everyone rides as its fun, rather than an intense, adrenaline pumping, scary coaster. Sonic is still very popular therefore another spinning coaster would probably get the same reception.

I would love to see it located on the flumes site, even if the flumes still there, it could squeeze in. Heavily themed around pirates to fit in with mutiny bay,and the trains could be canon balls or something.

It would cushion the blow from Sonic leaving for people who love it (As I do).
Luviico

stealthsmiler wrote:I don't suppose AT would replace Sonic with a more permanent spinning coaster, that is well theme and fits in well.

My theory is that AT have done The Smiler for thrill seekers and Cebeebies Land for young ones so it's time for a family coaster. Also Sonic is the perfect family coaster that everyone rides as its fun, rather than an intense, adrenaline pumping, scary coaster. Sonic is still very popular therefore another spinning coaster would probably get the same reception.

I would love to see it located on the flumes site, even if the flumes still there, it could squeeze in. Heavily themed around pirates to fit in with mutiny bay,and the trains could be canon balls or something.

It would cushion the blow from Sonic leaving for people who love it (As I do).
Great idea! I think sonic should go, mainly because it is out of place where it is and it is a bit of an eyesore looking from towers street but I do love a good spinning coaster and a family coaster is well overdue I think and the next go to project after we've had the thrill of the smiler and the youngsters catered for with cbeebies land. One would be well suited to mutiny bay! you could be sat in like barrels and cannon balls could be shot across the track in front of you as near misses, like from one cannon and going back into another across the other side of the track and around again and so forth. :D
awsomelycoolboy

Hey, maybey if Alton Towers removes/rebuilds Sonic they could create an amazing world first out of it! We all know world first rollercoaster attract more people so.. It could be the worlds first (as far as I am aware of) stand up spinning rollercoaster! It would be so epic! And as mentione above, I think it would be suiting for it to go in gloomy woods in the area along haunted hollow where the talking grave stones are, cut a few trees down and HEY PRESTO! A new world first!
Luviico

awsomelycoolboy wrote:Hey, maybey if Alton Towers removes/rebuilds Sonic they could create an amazing world first out of it! We all know world first rollercoaster attract more people so.. It could be the worlds first (as far as I am aware of) stand up spinning rollercoaster! It would be so epic! And as mentione above, I think it would be suiting for it to go in gloomy woods in the area along haunted hollow where the talking grave stones are, cut a few trees down and HEY PRESTO! A new world first!
Stand up spinning coaster? god no, people would be walking off and falling all over the place :lol and it's not as simple as cutting down a few trees and hey presto lol depends on if the trees are protected so can't be cut down, also sonic isn't exactly the quietest of rides, I think putting it in gloomy woods would ruin the eerie atmosphere.
stealthsmiler

I think there restrictions on building anything where haunted hollow is.
Master_feedback

Sonic will go or be moved and cbbeeies extended with a new ride for the kids with sonic llicence being renewed the money has to be on a move
Sr88

I think Sonic Spinball is here to stay for a good few years. It is loved by most of the general public, has a new sponsoring agreement, is a great ride for people of all ages, and has consistently long queues. Obviously it's low throughput helps this, but equally people wouldn't be prepared to join a long queue for a ride that isn't worth it.

Also, removing it, unless a suitable replacement was put in, would leave a massive gap in the range of rides, and also it is good to have a spinning coaster (something which most parks should have in my view.

Also, it always shakes a bit, but it is fine and perfectly safe. Unless it becomes a problem there is no reason for that to stop it continuing as it is.
stealthsmiler

I would like to see a better laid out and more permanent spinning coaster in Mutiny Bay for SW8 or 9. Sonic could continue to be used until the year when the Mutiny Bay coaster opens and then be sold to a smaller park. I do like the layout of Sonic but the one at Chessie is much better and Alton needs one like that. Also I think pirate would be a great theme for a spinning coaster. Either that or a Indiana Jones/Temple theme would be good in Adventure Land. As I have said before.
awsomelycoolboy

stealthsmiler wrote:I would like to see a better laid out and more permanent spinning coaster in Mutiny Bay for SW8 or 9. Sonic could continue to be used until the year when the Mutiny Bay coaster opens and then be sold to a smaller park. I do like the layout of Sonic but the one at Chessie is much better and Alton needs one like that. Also I think pirate would be a great theme for a spinning coaster. Either that or a Indiana Jones/Temple theme would be good in Adventure Land. As I have said before.
For a start. What's the on at chessie like? I'm going to Chessington on Thursday. Also. I think a temple/Indiana Jones would more suit Katanga Kanyon
Danny

It may be a good idea for Sonic to be moved to Chessington and replace Rattlesnake. Rattlesnake is getting incredibly old and worn out now , and a new ride in its place would be welcomed by most people I'm sure. If it's repainted and re themed then Chessy could label it as a brand new ride.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Chessington already have Dragon's Fury, so there'd be no justification for relocating Sonic Spinball to the park.
Dom

Merlin may even move the coaster to Thorpe, that is if it gets removed sometime soon. It will be the sort of thing Thorpe would be looking for given they are heading into the family market.
Danny

lewis97 wrote:Chessington already have Dragon's Fury, so there'd be no justification for relocating Sonic Spinball to the park.

Omg yeah I completely forgot! Was only there last week as well :lol