The Future of Sonic Spinball

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Coasterfellow

Sonic is one of my favourite rides at alton towers. Its exciting, quite fast and i love the feeling you get when you go round that first banked turn at the top. However i do think it should be replaced by a drift coaster (The one in abu dhabi never got finished so it could be a worlds first if alton towers get there foot in the door and fast). Then they could get another spinning coaster in katanga canyon perhaps.
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)
Sr88

Only just checked what a drift coaster is, and it seems pretty cool. Out of interest, where was the one in Abu Dhabi being built?
Coasterfellow

I think it was ferrari world but i am not sure
Sr88

Oh I love that place! (Not that I've ever been :( )

Anyway, is Sonic Spinball a custom layout or was it a standard of some sort?
sadie123

I remember when it was the unthemed Spinball Wizard. With Sonic and Sega, it has really themed the ride around a pinball, bringing in all the gamer aspects. I'd rather them re-negotiate a new contract because the theming is vital to the success of the ride.
jon18uk

sadie123 wrote:I remember when it was the unthemed Spinball Wizard. With Sonic and Sega, it has really themed the ride around a pinball, bringing in all the gamer aspects. I'd rather them re-negotiate a new contract because the theming is vital to the success of the ride.
Other than the big statue of Sonic outside and changes to signage the theming didin't change much, Spinball Whizzer still had a pinball theme when it opened. Check out the advert with a pinball table
Sr88

I do love the theme of that ride. Just a crazy sort of spinny thing!
Themeparksandy1981

If C beebies land is still going very strong when the sonic deal runs out I can see it be moved to another area or removed from the park and replaced with a young family coaster and a flat ride.
awsomelycoolboy

I would prefer a better layer out spinning coaster. :0 an idea just came into my mind.. Worlds first inverted spinning coaster! That would be awesome! P.s what is a drift coaster. I can't find it on google images.
stealthsmiler

In the LTDP it says that AT are agreeing to have the planning permission changed to no structures above 5m in Adventure Land, something to do with keeping the view of the towers undisturbed or something, therefore I doubt they will get another spinning coaster, at least in that area. I would expect when Sonic goes, CeBeebies Land may be extended or an entertainment complex will be built there as that would be able to be kept under 5m.
Coasterfellow

It is a ride that was on roller coaster tycoon and ferrari world were going to build one. Basically it is a coaster and when the cars go round corners they twist so you drift round.
awsomelycoolboy

That is sick! I would love to see a drift coaster!
Aidan Lowe

Don't usually go on this but since the fast track is literally jump on I had a go today and to be fair this is probably the best ride to hold your hands up on because the train rotates so much its just an insane ride. :lol
Alton13Nemesis

Trust me, sonic isn't going anywhere, we will see a family ride in that area in 2015 if merlin release the funds, as expansion for cbeebies
Alex

Alton13Nemesis wrote:Trust me, sonic isn't going anywhere, we will see a family ride in that area in 2015 if merlin release the funds, as expansion for cbeebies
It's going to have to move soon due to the planning restrictions.
Burniel

I predict Spinball to go at the end of 2016, replaced with something smaller due to restrictions in 2017/18.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Krazycoaster

awsomelycoolboy wrote: an idea just came into my mind.. Worlds first inverted spinning coaster! That would be awesome!
There already is an inverting spinning coaster: http://rcdb.com/6453.htm#
awsomelycoolboy

Krazycoaster wrote:
awsomelycoolboy wrote: an idea just came into my mind.. Worlds first inverted spinning coaster! That would be awesome!
There already is an inverting spinning coaster: http://rcdb.com/6453.htm#
No, I mean like nemesis trains, but spinny, now do you get what I mean? Not one that has an inversion.