Best and Worst Queue Lines At Alton

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
La Roq

I actually quite like 13 line due to it going through the forest and the really sinister version of the teddy bears picnic that is playing. But yeah Nemesis' line is deffo the best in my opinion. As for the worst well I am undecided on that one.
MattsDesigns

This might sound weird but queing is part of the appeal in the same way you wait all year for Christmas (well, when you are young anyway) but it has occured to me before there is loads of potential for making ques more fun or barable.

Some things you could probably do in a que:

If we are gonna be really lazy the que could actually be some kind of moving platform on which you sit down- so a big, slow train basically. You could add many games like in Sonic Spin Ball que. You could actually move the exit through retail to the side of the ques in the same way you have a...News Agents in the Air que (ok it doesn't sell papers but what if it did?). You could have buttons to press and you know those Abacus things you get in a play area? Stuff like that. What about if at part of the que you climb some stairs and go down a big slide?- If you do this the speed of the throughput of the slide has to be faster than that of the ride or else you'll get a stupid tail back so you would only have this open when there is substantial que.

Or am I just adding to Attention Deficit Disorder?
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Stealth_Lover

Krazycoaster wrote: Best queue is easily Duel, it creates a great atmosphere and even causes some people to leave the queue before they've even got onto the ride!
Maybe this is because they realise how poor the ride is going to be?!

I actually like the Th13teen queue because of the people that have been 'acquired' by the forest & are covered in branches. I'm presuming you've all seen/spotted these?
Mikkel

Sad to say i have only been once. Back in 2004.

But at the time, id say oblivion was the most enjoyable on par with nemesis.
Cant wait to go again October
The Terminator

Best queue line=the shortest, worst=longest.
Problem solved.
I WILL be back
Luce

Any queue which features a cattlepen of some description such as Rita's are annoying I think, especially if you have to spend a long time in them.  On the flip side, I agree about Hex having a nice queue line as using the Towers themselves adds to the experience even though it has a cattlepen of sorts :)
Last edited by Luce on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b2311e

Best is either Nemesis or Hex. I would be more inclined to say Nemesis, since Hex is spoiled by the TVs being too quiet/too much noise to hear a lot of the time, and that fire exit can ruin the atmosphere too easily

Worst? Well I could pick quite a few!
Th13teens queue, although reasonably themed; is boring when you've been in it a while, and it loops round too much for my liking, which seems to make it feel longer, as you're walking back where you've just walked (if you know what I mean). Once you get past the stairs at the baggage hold, it's fine.
I HATE Rita's queue, seems to take longer (not that you can see, because the fences are so high) than most, and drags because of this

Air's queue can be a bit boring, just depends on how slow/fast it moves. If it moves fast, I'm not bothered.

I'm not keen on the queue to get into Towers itself, seems to move quite slowly (both for tickets and at the barriers), but not much to do about that one!
scott.smith

Yep the queue at the enterance of Alton Towers is the worst
CoasterCrazyChris

The best queues are Nemesis, Oblivion, Duel and Hex. Certainly with Duel, the queue is better than the ride that follows! Just think to yourself - does waiting in the ride's queue enhance the overall experience? Whether it be listening to the lord of darkness taunt you or soaking up the atmosphere in the Towers gallery you can really build some anticipation for the ride ahead.

By far the worst are all three of the noughties coasters - Air, Spinball and Rita. Each one reeks of pure laziness and backwards thinking. Lack of space is no excuse for these hideous creations. Neither does adding a few cheap games improve anything at all. Th13teen is salvaged somwhat by the indoor section and bit through the woods, but remains poor in general.

The irony of the whole thing is that all the rides with the best themed lines seem to have the shortest queues and highest throughputs!

:)
AJLlama

Best Queues are Duel, Hex and Battle gallions by a long way, also like the KC queues.

My worst ever queuing experience was on Air, it was the extended queue up and down the hill in remorseless sunshine, by the time i got on the ride i had a headache and just wanted a wee and a sit down. also hate the queues for Rita and Th134566788een, they could easily install a few elements in the area to make it more interesting, Thirteen's queue is a little better than Rita's with the shade and a few bits to look at, but they could do so much more there with a few simple lights and a smoke machine.

off topic slightly but my fave queue ever is for tomb blaster at chessington, even with the new fear of death.
Mr Oblivion

Quite a few here:

BEST: NEMESIS & DUEL

Why?:

Nemesis's normal queue line takes you incredibly close to bits of track, and is one of the best for filming in and the queue line is always moving fast.  But the extended queue is a bit meh.

Duel's queue line really gives the rider a feel for how terifying the ride is going to be, the effects like the rocking horse really adds loads of atmosphere and the queue line is always incredibly short,  I have never queued in the extended line but it looks stunning and has loads of theming.

WORST: RITA,OBLIVION & MOST OF TH13TEEN

WHY?

Rita is one of the slowest moving queues in the park, and the cattlepens are torture, when you get a couuple of steps in front of the launch then its not so bad, but definitly the worst queueline at Alton Towers.

Oblivion is an incredibly misleading queue, yes it is superbly themed, no it has no cattlepens.  However you get to a certain part of the queue and think its over when you actually have to go up 2 more levels.

TH13TEEN :lol: As said above every part of the queue before the baggage hold is boring with overusage of cattle pens, the only good thing of it is that it has lots and lots of theming, but it has been drowned out by fastrack and now is incredibly painful to queue in.
zippy

Best - Nemesis. As others have said, always seems to move fairly quick, and so close to the ride too.

Worst - Rita. In Ug Land days I didn't mind the Rita queue as the Thunder Rock Radio took my mind off how long I'd been waiting. Even now I still think of Thunder Rock Radio whenever I hear Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash. However, now that has gone I hate it. It always seems to be so slow!
Jammydodger

I have to say Oblivion's queue really puts me off re riding when there's no queue. It's just way too much effort for such a short ride.
bensaund

The worst queue line at the moment has to be Rita, with no ERT the queue is too long causing people to buy fast tracks which in turn is causing the normal queue to miles long and not enjoyable for any guest
If you go down to the woods today
cookiee_munster

shame the que's aren't as detailed and as themed as the indiana jones ride que

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJyUOIZW1JU
Marcus

Worst: Like most people has said, Rita. The queue when its 50 minutes is so painful to queue up for and its really loud.

Best: I like Duels queue line with the theming, rocking horse, the dolls house etc.. its really creepy. Also Nemmys queue moves quite quick and you can watch the ride aswell which puts your mind off queuing.
Benji

I agree, nemesis has the best queue. I always want to be next to the loop when it goes round because of the gust of wind! But as almost everyone has said Rita has the worst queue and you always seem to queueing longer than it says! :x

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
AT Liam

best queue line is nemesis as it moves fairly quickly saying that is it one of the more popular (if the the most popular) attraction within the park, and im normally entertained whilsty waiting by looking around at the themeing and the coaster going by.

sonic spinball gets a honourable mention as the games keep me entertained for a short time as the queue is sadly always long and slow moving.

the worst queue is Rita, its so slow and takes ages to get on for such a short ( although enjoyable) ride, TH13TEEN gets second place due to the themeing, without that themeing it would have been a joint first.
That being said, TH13TEEN is possible one of my favourite queue due to on the odd occassion (generally around scarefest) that we i have seen wraiths or other actors hiding around the area.
Last edited by AT Liam on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amy0192

I have a rather unpopular opinion in that Th13teen is probably my favorite queue! I've queued many a time near scarefest and I've turned around and had a wraith staring me in the face, which is always pretty fun. The Tesla part inside is awesome too, I love it. Always gets me. The writing on the walls, the excitement 'cause everyone knows they're getting on soon. The counting to see if you're gonna get in the next carriage. Awesome, love it! I love the forest setting too. Hate the close proximity to Rita, and whilst on the subject of Rita, I will agree that the Rita queue is terrible. Nothing to it at all. For lack of better vocabulary, it's all a bit "meh". Don't really rate the air queue either. Oblivion is another good one for me though, I like the layout.
Don't be scared to walk alone, don't be scared to like it.
Fantasmic

Best:
Nemesis
Duel
Hex

They all have theming!

Worst:
Rita - cattlepen
CATF - that video is ANNOYING
Monorail - free for all