Best and Worst Queue Lines At Alton

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Justin

I wish they reinstate the TV screens in all Merlin park queue lines. I used to love watching them when waiting, and they left a lasting memory.

Certainly at Thorpe, they used to play music videos from them which I know can now lose the magic of escapism, but if they had some TLC and were screening footage to fit in with the theme then this would be amazing!
70s_kid

For me the best by far is Nemesis.

The landscape, the water (especially when it was red), the bridges, the ups and downs, twists and turns, being so close to the ride whooshing past with the possibility of somebody's shoe coming off and kicking you in the head :D .

Seeing the old queue line when you get near to the station still reminds me of being there shortly after it opened in the nineties and queuing for about 4 hours all around the top of the hill. Imagine the anticipation of being in that environment when you'd only ever been on coasters built on a patch of flat ground with no theming (think corkskrew/beast/thunderlooper). I remember thinking rollercoasters can never get any better than this! (Maybe I was right).

Worst queue lines are:

Smiler - please do something with the miles of concrete that looks like my garage floor, and black mesh that looks like my dog's cage.

Oblivion - far too long. Seems to be about a 10 minute walk to get back to where you started (unless you go through single rider and switch lines, but that would be queue jumping [-X )

Rita - The underneath of the single rider stairs worries me to death. If somebody drops something, bends down to pick it up, then bangs their head on the way back up they will spear their brain! Have a look when you go but be very careful!
JustWill

Nemesis' is by far the best.

The Smiler's pit has some drainage issues and is thus unbearable in the rain, or when rain has passed. However, it's still quite fun to watch the cars speed around so close to you.
Th13teen's needs a bit of work done.
Air/Galactica's is quite good now they've brought the screens in and updated the music.
Rita's is pretty bad, it's very boring.

Oblivion is probably the worst as it seems to have been forgotten in terms of the rest of the resort, it's just kind of deteriorating and is in need to quite a hefty refurb, at least in my opinion.
70s_kid wrote: Oblivion - far too long. Seems to be about a 10 minute walk to get back to where you started (unless you go through single rider and switch lines, but that would be queue jumping )
I agree, It's also too long to walk through, like it may say there's "0 wait time" but you still have to walk quite a way just to get to the station.

The shop's nice though, even better if it was open.
Thorpegirl123

As above oblivion has a bad queue line, most of the time it's empty so the long walk is annoying and I find it always stinks.
owenrita121

Thorpegirl123 wrote:As above oblivion has a bad queue line, most of the time it's empty so the long walk is annoying and I find it always stinks.
Why don't you just go up single rider and hop under the fence to save walking the whole queue?
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
Stan.H

owenrita121 wrote:
Thorpegirl123 wrote:As above oblivion has a bad queue line, most of the time it's empty so the long walk is annoying and I find it always stinks.
Why don't you just go up single rider and hop under the fence to save walking the whole queue?
Doesn't that count as queue jumping ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan.B

Yes, unless the staff are redirecting people, you can get made to come down and walk around if you aren't in the SRQ. If a group join the queue before you, and you shortcut up there, they are all passed. When it opened one morning, there was a crowd around the entrance (late opening) and a couple of people tried to shortcut up there, passing a quite big group of people (Around a 10 minute queue) Even if only one person is passed, it's still queue jumping, and I have seen staff tell people to come back down and go the proper way. I personally think it is acceptable if you let everyone you went past get back in front of you, but if not it is definitely queueumping.
ArchitectOfPain

Best queues are duel and hex. Worst is Rita.
RollercoasterRob

Definatley Duel's queue! Every time I go through it I keep swaying and tumbling from side to side, I don't know why but it just seems to disorientate me!!
S.J_O'Grady

RollercoasterRob wrote:Definatley Duel's queue! Every time I go through it I keep swaying and tumbling from side to side, I don't know why but it just seems to disorientate me!!
Well, that's what Wardley was aiming for! :yes:
https://s15.postimg.org/ox1mas43f/image.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Liam.W

RollercoasterRob wrote:Definatley Duel's queue! Every time I go through it I keep swaying and tumbling from side to side, I don't know why but it just seems to disorientate me!!
Happens to me every time!! I took my mum on it for the first time last week and it was absolutely hilarious watching her trying to walk through it :lol
S.J_O'Grady wrote:Well, that's what Wardley was aiming for! :yes:
https://s15.postimg.org/ox1mas43f/image.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is that the book by Michael Eley?
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

S.J_O'Grady

Yes it is :D It's a good book!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Liam.W

S.J_O'Grady wrote:Yes it is :D It's a good book!
The author was my teacher in year 3! :D
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Dom

I personally think the worst queue line is The Smiler. It just goes on and on and on and on. Its literally the most boring queue i've ever been in
MakoMania

I know it isn't open but CATCF queue was hellish.

Smiler is my fave 8-[
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]