Best and Worst Queue Lines At Alton

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
tallicay2k

BEST:
Hex...Love the ambient eerie music and themeing
Thirteen...Best queue during scarefest but the music and the girl counting down is epic
Nemesis...Watch the ride and feeling the gusts of wind as they come down from lift hill

WORSE:
Rita...We all agree
Oblivion...Good to watch the ride when your on right side
Spinball...Feel my facial hair growing
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Lord Antaz

JaykeAT wrote:
The Moon wrote: Air. I like blue track and bridges. It has both.
I was thinking about airs Que but went for oblivion because of how misleading it is,you think your nearly finished and you have another mile left!
Oblivion has an almost intricate queue-line
leammiles

The worst for me is by far Rita and 13 (the cattle pen part)

Rita was much more bearable when it played music, they had a perfect playlist.

At least with 13 you do have the small section of highly themed queue inside the building.

Air can also be awful on a busy day when the whole queue is opened up.

The best queue lines for me are Duel, Hex and Charlie as they are all themed throughout and there is alway something new to look at, and not generic fence panels
jackgcse

I actually love the Runaway mine train queue, because its a time of peace and feels away from the rest of the park, and usually fairly fast moving too!
Worst queue will be air in my opinion, if you are queuing over the hill and down, the queue is boring, dull and uninspiring, oh and don't forget SLOW! LOL ;)
schmatt

Rita is defiantly the worse queue at alton, was really hoping they would of sorted it out with the arrival of th13teen/dark forest. Something similar to RR at chessington would of been ideal with a bridge over the path to the shops where it meandered along the front to give a good view of the launch and ride then went into the woodland behind to enhance the forest theme nicely. A small indoor section before the bridge would of been nice aswell, perhaps similar to th13teen's and the entrance to the queue being in the old water fight area. Not sure whats actually there at the moment though.
I made a quick photo if that didnt make any sence:
The dark blue being the queue entrance,
red being standby queue
orange being fast-track
and light blue being possible indoor queue/pre show.
I tried to meander the queue line around the visible tree lines.
Tom.B

Jammydodger wrote: I have to say Oblivion's queue really puts me off re riding when there's no queue. It's just way too much effort for such a short ride.
Last couple of times i've been, there has been no queue for it, and we all go up the single rider queue, and at the top of that first hill where SR runs parallel to the main queue, we just jump over the fence. Simple!
JoyfulSin

Probably the log flume is my least favourite, closely followed by Oblivion.

I do have quite a soft spot for Hex's queue line.
daveclarkedaveclarke

Rita's queue always puts me off always a really long one.
GeorgeeFozzy

For kids and young teens (at most I guess) The Sonic Spinball queueline was good when I went in 2011, when I came back in 2012 all the games seemed to have broke and ultimately made the queueline a bore. Love the Nemesis- Sub Terra queue line though!
Don't_Look_Down

Best queuelines

Nemesis -  it's something to be admired as well as ridden. The queueline uses space and the surrounding landscape to its advantage.

Oblivion - it's long and windy, yet the themeing is pretty impressive. Lush plants, sinister dystopian scenery and queueline videos to amuse (or terrify) you.

Duel - both queuelines are well themed and add to the overall ride experience.

Hex - Maybe it's the dark and dusty atmosphere, or the creepy "ambient" soundtrack.

Worst queuelines

Rita - Awful in every way. The cattlepen system  takes up a huge chunk of space and aimlessly weaves back and forth.

The Flume - So much could be done with the Flume's queueline. You could have little paths trailing through the woods with attractive fences to match. The reality is a generic concrete line that looks akin to something in RCT3.

Air - Just plain boring. It's a path down through some rocks, basically.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
wakey1512

I agree with Rita. Simply demoralizing.

Thirteen's queue is good but like anything queuing for too long in a certain environment starts to make you sick of the sight of it.
SamSimkin

I like the inclusion of questions in the flume queue line, just made it a bit more enjoyable
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
Kenzie2012

Rita and Sub-Terra.... I've never thought too much of Rita's queue because I've never seen it fully open and in use until Friday! Wow.... It's bad.
Again on Friday we queued nearly an hour for SubTerra, it just seemed to go on and on and on and on a lil bit more. The videos didn't really do anything for me and to be honest the ride itself was such a let down it made the queue feel worse.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
bensaund

Have a look at the queue line for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaJRaa7MaNs

would make any queue more interesting, I'm not sure which ride it would work well on, maybe if themed correctly Th13teen....
If you go down to the woods today
King Nemesis

The problem is in a busy theme park like Alton where the queues are most of the time stationary you will have little timmy queuing for TH13TEEN just spinning round in circles :P

I mean it could work for TH13TEEN the floor that moves to enforce the theme of forest taking over.
The Moon

Slight movement and discreet distortions can be very effective, moving up and down slightly every so often. But too much gets both cheesy and dangerous.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
CA2000

Oblivion is the best queue for tension easily, that dude like.. "this ride is perfectly safe" always got me as a teenager. It also moves pretty fast which is a good thing.  Air's can be painfully slow but always has that theme to it, with that spacey music.

Nemesis isn't too bad unless its a hot July and its winding all the way up to the left, in and out the woods. There's always someone blazing a joint in the queue too ! Kind of dis-respectful tbh. 
GoldWolf

In regards to the SW7 queue (sorry if this is unrelated?):

How long do you think queues will generally be?
Will it be an entertaining queue or not?
And how far back do you think the queue will go on opening day?

I want to get some other peoples views on this because whilst it seems to me that in essence the queue looks boring on the plans, I think that with the track above and around you, along with it being in it's own plaza and area, it could add some real atmosphere to the ride ultimately improving the experience.
DrReeve

GoldWolf wrote: In regards to the SW7 queue (sorry if this is unrelated?):

How long do you think queues will generally be?
Will it be an entertaining queue or not?
And how far back do you think the queue will go on opening day?

I want to get some other peoples views on this because whilst it seems to me that in essence the queue looks boring on the plans, I think that with the track above and around you, along with it being in it's own plaza and area, it could add some real atmosphere to the ride ultimately improving the experience.
Im saying atleast one hour
queue line im hoping it will be well themed and well executed
on opening day im saying longer than 1 hour 30 mins. Fast tracks will be about £5 but will not be effective on opening day
Image credit to Lewis97
GoldWolf

DrReeve wrote: on opening day im saying longer than 1 hour 30 mins.
I'm definitely saying longer than that for opening day. Considering Thirteen went all the way out the Dark Forest I should think SW7 will start outside X-Sector, making it at least 2 and a half hours and most likely more.