On-Ride Breakdown Experiences

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
SamTP

On Vortex at Thorpe Park, it broke down whilst we were in full swing! We were stuck there for about 1hr. It was quite fun actually and then when we got off, we with given Fastrack for Stealth!
Last edited by SamTP on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lf2001

Been on Rita before when it's broke down. Got into the train, then they told us to get out because it broke down, they sent round empty trains a few times,  then we got on it again..
glen191

Was on The Runaway Mine Train when it suffered a power cut just as it goes over the walkway. We were stuck there for about 30 mins and when we got off the ride we found out the whole area had the power off and people were stuck on The Rapids and The Flume.
Last edited by glen191 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vordok419

Not quite a breakdown but the first time I went on The Smiler, it broke down whilst I was in the queue. One of the trains was stuck at the peak of the vertical climb. The back two cars were actually stuck vertical!  :shock: Then, to reset the circuit, they had to be pulled down the vertical. I feel so so sorry for the poor people on there.

Vordok
Last edited by Vordok419 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katherine

Being stuck halfway up the Air lift hill for 20 minutes. :p
Zach

Quite predictable but got stuck on The Smiler just before the first lift hill. At first we believed it'd just stopped for a little bit then get going, but after about 20mins had passed we heard the alert in the queue outside and everyone in the car sighed. However me being me, me and my mate realised we were on with a few first time riders and to pass the time it was fun to pretend to panic and scare the first time riders, who in the queue had been acting very roller coaster confident. This was up until the station had decided to send round an empty car and we felt it leave the station and the track rattle and we still hadn't moved and the train got closer and closer. I turned my head and saw this train coming through the inside zero g roll and heading straight for us and began to panic as it looked like it was going to go into the back of us. I then realise there is a 2 block braking system under the the first lift hill. After the second train stopped the lift hill launched and we were on our way but for the time wasted stranded we got 3 free fast tracks each :) so not all frowns :P 
Last edited by Zach on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rollermad

Vordok419 wrote: Not quite a breakdown but the first time I went on The Smiler, it broke down whilst I was in the queue. One of the trains was stuck at the peak of the vertical climb. The back two cars were actually stuck vertical!  :shock: Then, to reset the circuit, they had to be pulled down the vertical. I feel so so sorry for the poor people on there.

Vordok
When was this as my friend got stuck at the top like this on ride ;)
Dan

This "breakdown" actually happens quite frequently. If a train is climbing the vertical lift and the train in front hasn't hit the block brakes at the end of the ride then the ride will e-stop in order to prevent having two trains on the same section of track.

The way they reset the ride is by lowering the train back down the lift and sending it back up to complete the circuit.
Rollermad

Dan.N wrote:

This "breakdown" actually happens quite frequently. If a train is climbing the vertical lift and the train in front hasn't hit the block brakes at the end of the ride then the ride will e-stop in order to prevent having two trains on the same section of track.

The way they reset the ride is by lowering the train back down the lift and sending it back up to complete the circuit.
Aha thanks :)
altontowerscrazy

Been stuck on Duel before, mid-way through. It was for about 5-10mins I think, but I don't know why. Then twice The Smiler has broken down whilst I was in the queue. Got to ride it eventually though!  :)
KoasterKraver

Mine was when me and a few of my friends were on duel and it broke down. The worst part of it was, we had zombies reaching for us over our heads. We could have easily gave them a hand shake!!! :D
Katherine

Being held to a standstill in Duel for 10 minutes with some friends.  :shock:
Inferno Attractions

This was fun

On Duel we had stopped for about 20 minutes just staring at the Spider

Oh by the way I've got Arachnophobia

That was healthy
Last edited by Inferno Attractions on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions
Burniel

Not at AT, but on the London taxi ride at Tussauds London, we did stop for 5 minutes at the plague bit. Wasn't pleasant. I think they were just letting a wheelchair on, but they could at least do it in a way that didn't ruin our experience.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Altonboy001

NickiFan wrote:
Therideman11 wrote:
razgriz33 wrote: One thing that does annoy me is that I may be no technician but I'd like to know a bit more about why the ride has stopped, for example mobile phones, launch/lift problem, weather, station issues etc.
Same here, I don't really understand why they don't tell you

It is so people don't worry and panic, it is just so people think 'oh, it might not be anything serious'
Just my opinion of why they don't tell you..
Same in the hotel, I had a fire alarm and I asked about it they said just a false alarm, my dad showed his work pass (he works in sgr) and they told him that in room 310 (we were in 210) were spraying deodorant. When the fire alarm was sounding some people stayed inside just watching from their window waving to us as if nothing was happening. It delayed me going to ert and it was my first time on Smiler so I could have got on smiler 100x quicker if that didnt happen
Last edited by Altonboy001 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Nemesis rider
tori_swift

Been on a few ride break downs, like the up and downy Air seats, but the most fun is always Duel! We got stuck for about 10 minutes but all the guns, electronics and points were still working so we all kept shooting the entire time. Definitely had repetitive strain injury when I came out of there!
NemeJaney

tori_swift wrote: the most fun is always Duel! We got stuck for about 10 minutes but all the guns, electronics and points were still working so we all kept shooting the entire time. Definitely had repetitive strain injury when I came out of there!
that happened to me once! my hands ached even more than they usually do when it was finished, but it was worth the decent score(i still came last in my car, but oh well)
Altonboy001

It's horrible when you get on a ride and it breaks down before you get off it. It's happened to me a few times on Rita, about 30 mins before the park shut.
Also Oblivion had a breakdown for ages, but as soon as I got out of the queue, it works.
Last edited by Altonboy001 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Nemesis rider
Cobby

I got stuck on duel once for about 5-10 minutes but like said before all the blasters where still working. We where just going around a corner so on 3 targets where visible. That was fun have a full train of 5 trying to shoot 3 targets and waiting for them to rest before the same again. That was the must fun I've had on a brake down.
NickiFan

On Wednesday Nemesis stopped on the lift for around 5 minutes, that was fun :D