On-Ride Breakdown Experiences

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
stealthsmiler

A few years ago, I was on Air after the park had closed. There were only 4 of us on the last train and it stopped for a second on the way up then for about 5 minutes above the Nemesis track. The staff at Nemesis just laughed at us!  :lol:

There was another time that Duel  broke down. I was scared the whole time, not because it was Duel or felt unsafe but because we were near the end, I expected a member of staff to sneak behind us in the dark then jump out at us (experience it before at a different theme park), it didn't happen, got a brilliant high score though as there were millions of targets and only two of us shooting. That was a day of break downs for me as Nemesis broke down just before I got on and Oblivion broke down on my third time round. As we were going up, the chain lift sounded different but we made it to the top and back into the station, when I ran back round for my fourth turn (obviously the park was dead, and I would have got back on the train i got off), the ride attendant announced Blivy had technical difficulties.

Other than that, there were minor breakdowns (stuck on the break run of Oblivion for 20 mins, which was annoying as they could have undone our harnesses and let us walk off the cat walk) and a power cut which stopped half the park (Nemmys half). That day was funny as we weren't on a ride when the power cut happened, The RMT was an inch from the station when it stopped (on that really horrible corner where one person gets squashed to death) and there were people begging for other people to throw food to them as the were stuck for about an hour. Although we did need a drink and couldn't buy one coz the staff couldnt access the tills (didn't realise till after that X-Sector was still running, along with most of the park). Many people left after getting money back but AT did stay open an hour later and we paid to get in the next day for a fiver(ish)
memgrubb

Got evacuated off of Valhalla at PBB. That was interesting. Lots of stairs.
“Work is most fulfilling when you're at the comfortable, exciting edge of not quite knowing what you are doing.”

Twitter - @memgrubb
rolicoli8

On the 22nd March 2014 opening day, for my last ride of the day I went on Ripsaw for the second time that day, and it stopped for about 10-20 minutes just behind the loading bay, which was rather fun.
Burniel

Opening day 2014:

10:05 - Stuck at the top of Air's lift for 10 minutes. Was on the front row, and was pretty terrified. Got a fastrack out of it, but it was so quiet that we didn't need it!
10:30 - 13 stopped for 45 minutes when I was at the front of the queue
11:15 - fire alarm goes off in 13 station, and we were evacuated and left without our bags. Complained at guest services and got a fastrack.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
JammyBand

stealthsmiler wrote: I expected a member of staff to sneak behind us in the dark then jump out at us (experience it before at a different theme park)
Was that at Oakwood? I think that happened on Spooky 3D at Oakwood, right? That happened to us and that was funny too. :)
Sam198

I've had far too many of these to count, but I distinctly remember being stuck on iSpeed's final brake run behind a train with loading/dispatch issues. It must have only been 10 minutes tops, but 37° midday heat with no shade can make anything feel like a long time...
Marcus

Evacuated off of Vampire's final brake run at Chessy, was pretty fun seeing the inside of building with lights on.

EDIT: Just reliased this is in the AT History area... mb :3
Astro61201

Luckily I have only stopped on the vertical lift on rage, but have seen nemesis stop to have a phone removed while waiting to join the queue :D
sadie123

I've only ever been stuck on one ride...Air and we'd got to near the end of the ride, before it goes back vertical again and it stopped. Not for long. But the hysterics of the girl in front was better '- get me of this (swear word) ride'. And then it moved again and we were fine. Still, it WAS kinda funny tho.
RCandrew

I've never experienced a break down at Alton towers but everyone who's been on Air loves the gasps of all the riders when it changes speeds on the lift hill :lol gets me every time!
Rockstar

Nothing at Towers really but at Thorpe on Fright Nights on Saw we broke down before coming into the station and after 20 mins the ride op came behind me (I was on my own at the back) and said "Game Over" in Jigsaw's voice. That was the day I decided never to go on Saw again... Ended up going on it again 15 mins later XD
Last edited by lewis97 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Not every word needs a capital letter
Sr88

I only have one, which is being very little (probably about 5), at Alton Towers, was on a dark, scary ride. Sadly I have no idea what it was (pretty sure it is gone now though, seeing as this was so long ago), but we were stuck for half an hour in the dark with some spooky stuff going on. I was scared so bad :( Don't think we even got an apology for that, never mind some compensation.
Aidan Lowe

Yesterday around about 5:45pm! If I was on the train in front it would of been me stuck on that vertical lift hill. Took about 10 minutes then it started it's descent. [-X

The applause and general noise when it finally started its descent was quite remarkable, before that just pure silence.

sw7nutter

Not at Alton but had a code bronze on stealth in the pouring rain and were stuck for about an hour. The tyres were unable to grab the train to re-align it with the catch car so we were rocking back and fourth for a while waiting for the train to align to release us. What made it worse was because we were in the station and only about 30cm out no one could access the release for the restraints. It was on a summer night so they just gave us tickets to come back for another one.
NemesisRider

I got stuck at the bottom of the vertical lift on the Smiler for 5 minutes. It wasn't too bad, the seats are quite comfy :p .
Also, we got fast-passes afterwards so no complaints from me.
SuperWill

On Sunday 22nd June, me and my friend got stuck on Oblivion just before the drop! :P It wasn't because some had their camera out. It was because it had a technical problem! I really enjoyed being stuck up there as the views were absolutely amazing! Around 3/4 minutes later, we were back off and running! :D :D

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
definedancing

Got stuck on Air for 20 minutes at the station in the flying position last week, which was not too comfortable on my shoulders, although it actually improved my appreciation for the ride, which before was one I couldn't really care less about. It was about 5.30 and completely dead anyway, so we had a nice long chat with the attendants whilst the engineers were waiting to get there, and we got on the front row and had a great time when we finally started moving.
Ryan.B

Duel broke down three times while we were on it on Saturday, once in the now Non rotating tunnel, in the smoke part and by the camera a split second before it took the photo meaning me and my frien had time to pose for the camera. We duel wielded two guns each and pointed them towards the camera. It was the closest I've come to buying an orp without getting it thanks to being a pound short. :(
TheBeast

Couple of years back I went on Ripsaw, and you know how much that one hurts around certain regions on a man's anotomy...well, the power went off completely to the whole left hand side of park. Due to a rather lucky incident with a person to overweight to ride trying to get on, we hadnt started the circuit at the point. However, you can imagine my discomfort after half an hour of it.. but as it turns out I had it lucky
People on air were stranded in the face down position on the climb for over an hour and a half, along with 28 others who had been unfortunate to be riding Nemesis at the time, which also stalled on the climb. Both sets of people were removed from their cars via a stepladder.
There was nothing to stop the Blade from moving, so of course the attendants made sure nobody got off until the ride had hit a complete stop. This took 45 minutes.
Skyriders had it worst. Because there was no way of moving the cars they were in, they had to wait over three hours in some cases to get off the ride.
In the end, we complained to customer services. The worst thing was that their reaction was "oops, here's a come back tomorrow pass", which of course was redundant to me, as I hold a Merlin pass. Fortunately, a man over in the towers street shop told us Merlins were entitled to free fastpasses, and we scrounged another set from Merlin
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
JustWill

Not Really A Breakdown And Not Really (Not At All) At Alton Towers But
Troublesome Trucks At Drayton Manor:
As You May Know, You Get 2 Loops Of The Track On This Ride As It Is Dreadfully Short:
The Trainee Operator Pressed The Wrong Buttons!
We Got 4 Loops :lol
Made The On Ride Photo Lady Very Confused 8-[ 8-[ 8-[