On-Ride Breakdown Experiences

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
tallicay2k

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote: This isnt really a breakdown but Oblivions hold didnt work, we just went straight over the edge.
I bet you Wernt really prepared for that lol
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
SmilingMonkey

My only experience of an on-ride breakdown was on Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, although I was quite excited as it gave me a chance to have a proper look at the way the ride worked with all the lights on!
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure
owen92

Not been on any rides that have broken down but I imagine being stuck on Colossus at TP would be quite uncomfortable and would very quickly get excruciating cramps in your legs.
MJNemesis

tallicay2k wrote:
RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote: This isnt really a breakdown but Oblivions hold didnt work, we just went straight over the edge.
I had that on Oblivion once. Well the brake stopped the car but it didn't hold it there. Was certainly a shock just being dumped over the edge but it was less painful than being held at the top!

I've been stuck on the Air lift hill for 5 mins but that was quite comfortable. The only brakedown I've had is on Ripsaw. In fact it happened to me on Rameses Revenge too so two Topspins! Got stuck leaning slightly forward on Ripsaw and same on Rameses, just a little higher up. All I could think of was 'PLEASE DON'T TURN THE FOUNTAINS ON!'. On Ripsaw it was after the first 'drop' backwards. The ride op got 2 rolls out of it then it got stuck when he locked it up again. Similar on Rameses but a bit later in the ride. A mechanic just came and unlocked it, left us to rock until the gondola stopped then let us off  :roll:
Dan

The only breakdown i've ever been on was Nemesis, for about 15 minutes on the lift hill.

We were about 3/4 of the way to the top when it stopped, a couple of visits from a ride op saying they may have to evac us later and she started up again and ran like clockwork for the rest of the day so it was only a temporary glitch.
SamSimkin

Two breakdowns from yesterday

First from air in the brake run thingy, we were there for a good 5 - 10 minutes because if the car infront not assuming the position, well that's what I was told! After the first 2 minutes you start to feel a little bit sick, not very nice!

The second was on sonic spinball on the lift hill, quite uncomfortable especially when there was a man telling me that his lap bar had come open, jokingly of course.
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
L154

My worst breakdown experience was just after 13 opened.....this was the 1st time we went on this ride so didnt know what to expect!..The ride entered the tunnel (just before it drops) and just stopped, we were waiting for something to happen (thinking that it was part of the ride to freak us out) then the side door opened and in walked a man, me, being me, shouted 'have you come to scare us?' but he explained there were technical difficulties and switched on the lights, then we sat and we waited, and waited, and waited, then suddenly the carts jolted downwards, twice, quite violently and hurt everyone backsides! the completed it descent and carried on as normal, we got fast track tickets for another ride though :)
heres a pic of my hubby whilst we were waiting!.......
Kirsty25

My brother was on Stealth and it broke down in the brake run back to the station the car was stuck at the corner. then later that day we had to be "evacuated" from Storm Surge as the sun interferes with the sensors apparently (despite the ride apparently coming from Florida USA) and it happens roughly the same time on days when the sun is shining. The only downside was they weren't quick enough to disable the water guns so my friend and I got soaked through by some guys :(
Gronkmaster

Probably not the scariest place to break down at ATR, but during the wet weather of Scare Fest 2011, i was on my favourite ride 13, when we stopped at the safety point just before the inside drop. Ok not a particularly high place but it was pouring with rain, and me foolishly leaveing my coat in the baggage are (Thinking that this was going to be a quick ride). The stop was eventually put down to the system shutting down due to water problems. (or so they told us) I personally think i was the evil within the forest. :-)
TurboJ

Funnily enough, most of my breakdown experiences were all on the same day.
First off there was my first trip to Alton in 2007. We were held in Oblivion's brake run for a good 10 minutes.

Then there was 29th September 2009...
First up was Hex. Right at the very end of the ride with the massive face, the drum got stuck. The music faded out, the staff announced that they'd had a breakdown, the effects were turned off and they manually winched the drum back round. We all got fastpasses, but I never used mine - we'd pretty much had a complete ride, plus it was something I didn't think I'd get another of.
Immediately after that I decided to go on Oblivion. Right as we were about to enter the station, guess what happened? We were stuck there for around 20 minutes before they gave up and evacuated us.
With both those rides down for several hours, I decided to go on Spinball. But it had heard that I was coming, so it broke down before I could get there.

My only other experience is Duel stopping for 5 minutes. In a place with no targets. :/
danhalen1985

Experienced a rollback on the Runaway Mine Train last week, just as it was coming out of the tunnel. It rolled back, stopped, then started to proceed up the hill again - is this ride run entirely on electrics? Sorry for lack of technical terms!
kierannewcombe

2 on friday! Was going up the air lift hill and it stopped for 30 seconds then started stuttering to the top and then afterwards on duel the ride stopped for around 5 minutes.

Credit to Lewis97
AJLlama

Got stuck on Ramesis revenge for 20 mins last week, being tall, the harness was wedging me uncomfortably and without my glasses on, i appointed the random child next to me my "seeing eye kid" in case of emergencies.

On a side note, could one of the TT crew please remove the apostrophes from the title of this post? it's giving me a migraine
submission2001

I never ever get stuck on ride well i got stuck on nemesis for 21 min by a idiot sit behind me and recording a ride
CALLUM
Alex.D

I was on a failed stealth launch and a typical air breakdown...
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
Krazycoaster

Yes, the ride is entirely powered by electricity and motors. Rollbacks can be quite common and easily fixed  :D
DeanGaryCox

danhalen1985 wrote: Experienced a rollback on the Runaway Mine Train last week, just as it was coming out of the tunnel. It rolled back, stopped, then started to proceed up the hill again - is this ride run entirely on electrics? Sorry for lack of technical terms!
That happened to me... was there on the 23rd May, i did start to panic a bit lol, but once we had stopped after rolling back into the tunnel the ride started again and brought us back round to the station!
Image 2014
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

I was on The Smiler when it got stuck on the vertical lift on Friday and it was my first go on it.
tcw1993

Thirteen, Scarefest 2012. stopped, not entirely sure why, on the transfer track after the underground section, i was on it frezzing cold with a t-shirt on for 45 minutes, luckly the AT staff bought us some hot chocolate and then gave us FastTrack passes for the day, on Thirteen. :shock:
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
TheDarkStar

I was on rita... Just set to launch... "Go Go Go!"

We moved forwards at about 5mph to the end of the launch. I think the catch car pulled us back for a relaunch.