On-Ride Breakdown Experiences

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
The Moon

Thats a fairly regular occurrence, happens on SheiKra and Griffon often.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
RollercoasterGEEK100

Also on air. The feet thingys didnt open for me and my 5 mates. So we got free fastracks because one of my mates started to panic...

Credit to NemesisRider
sam_ph777

I got stuck at the top of Ripsaw once, for about 15 minutes, it was just gently swinging until the gondola was clamped in. Then we were just sat there.
Double H

Off park

I got stuck on Saw the ride at thorpe park just after its opening.  I was sitting at the front, half way up the 100ft incline and the rain was hammering. Stuck there for 5 minutes.

Other than that Air for a few minutes - being left suspended with arms and legs dangling
Jammydodger

Been stuck on a real Duel breakdown (not just a disabled passenger embarking). Was sat there for a good 10 mins, and we all managed to rack up a massive score since the LED's were still on!
AJLlama

Not at alton but have been stuck on lots of stuff,

Vampire twice, one in the station and once on the lift hill, was on the lift hill for about 45 and a young girl actually wet herself

Terrortomb stuck in the tunnel for about 20, the man came and stopped it just by lightly touching it then made us sit there or another 5 mins in case we fell over due to giddyness, then led us out of a fire exit

Slammer, at the top before it started, that was horrible

Safari skyway stopped and we got to look at the sea lions for ages
addis

A few years ago Nemesis broke down half way up the lift hill while I was riding. We were evacuated back down the steps to the station. I have to say you get a great view of the ride from that angle!

It took them around a week to fix her.
b2311e

Stuck in the station in Air, wouldn't assume the position after a couple of attempts.

Skyride was playing up on last visit, kept stopping and starting, it would move a couple of feet then stop, seemed like there was something wrong with it rather than a disabled guest, because of how many times it stop/started.
Also on last visit, went to go on Duel, but broke down before the lap bar had even come down, they had to evac the rest.

E-stop on the brakes of Oblivion this year, due to an accidental press of emergency stop, moved again before host had walked back to the station.

Been evac'd from Valhalla, after a particularly long wait to be rescued.

Queued for loads of things only for the ride to break down, such as Air, Nemesis, Oblivion, Th13teen; and Ghost Train, Valhalla, Grand National at PB.
N3m3s1s

Air, on the lift hill. Don't know what was wrong, but there was smoke everywhere!
Krazycoaster

I got stuck at the top of Rameses Revenge for about 10 minutes due to a restrain not being properly secured. Hats off to Huss though at when the ride was about to spin 360 degrees it stopped itself. The guy whose restrain was loose got a free fastrack as well.
AltonTowersNerd

I got stuck on Duel once in the Hall of Spiders in 2009. We was just coming upto the part when the zombie lashes out at you and the massive spider. We stopped around a corner and... "THE RIDE WILL RESTART SHORTLY". We just kept on firing our guns.
I also got stuck on the boat ride in the London Dungeon.
Last edited by AltonTowersNerd on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harold40

I was once on Duel when it broke down whilst we were still in the station. The ride staff opened our restraints and we had to leave via the exit.
What's a signature? Is this to complete the activation of my account?
bensaund

We had a 5 min breakdown in the rotating tunnel on Duel, talk about dizzy
If you go down to the woods today
sam_ph777

I got stuck at the top of Slammer for about 20 minutes, it got really cold! We got a free fastrack though and we used them on The Swarm. :)
sweedish2009

Nothing, I repeat nothing, will compare to the fear I felt on Harry Potter's Forbidden Journey, breaking down, with a dementor staring me square in the face for a good 5 minutes.

As a 26 year old, with male genitalia, I can safely say I shut my eyes for 4 minutes and 56 seconds of that breakdown!  :roll:
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
Sam198

hmm, three that I can remember!

#1 Stuck on the Air break run for about 5 minutes when something went wrong with a dispatch mechanism. (I think!)

#2 Probably the scariest of the three, and it was only last year! I was on a travelling wild mouse (Mellor's?) at Bristol's "Funderworld" in march of 2011, the lift chain snapped and we had to be evacuated down the catwalk, let's just say i've never complained about the noise of ARDs ever since... ;)

#3 Pandemonium at DMP two years ago, first of all the ride failed in some way so we were stopped and the cycle began again, when it finally was time to get off none of the restraints on our gondola would open up.
SamSimkin

Stuck on duel in the spinny tunnel! Worst experince of my life!

And for 20/30 mins we were stuck on the lift of the final drop of the flume, it's horrible cause there was no one in the front so my sister was screaming ITS GONNA FLIP!!!!!
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
bensaund

We were at Universal or Disney one of those, it was 30+ degrees and we were boiling, we darted for the crappest indoor ride we could find just to cool off, like Duel, but with less Theming and bright colours with childrens music "It's a small world after all.." that kind of thing

20 seconds into the ride, one loud bang, everything stops, the lights go out...  Tannoy announcements etc lights came on ride moved 2 inches loud band every stooped and the lights went out. This happened a few times.

We could see the exit about 20 feet from us, but we had to be "rescued by two  members of staff" How embarrassing.
If you go down to the woods today
fiftysevenstudio

Quite few.

Last time on AIR we,ve been stuck for about 10 minutes as they couldn't lower the seats, so they had to call engineers.
I just managed to pick up my mobile from my pocket and I started recording. So this is truly POV video of Air breakdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKbj46V2iC0

And few times I've been stuck on Congo River, so I did record the POV video as well if you interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHycHyxiROw
Last edited by fiftysevenstudio on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boz

More than I can count/remember, but here's some:
Stealth - code bronze (failed launch), evac'd in the station
Colossus - chain dog misalignment error, evac'd on lift hill
Nemesis Inferior - more than once due to errors, never evac'd except during a training exercise on the lift hill
Swarm - stopped in the break run for about 5 mins, returned to station as per normal.
Slammer - ride not lowering, stuck for about 10 mins
Oblivion - the usual lift hill stoppages so someone can have their camera/mobile removed :roll:
Skyride - stops all the time obviously to allow disabled passengers on and off, however, there was one time we were stuck for about 5 mins
Monorail - technically not, but we happened to be on a train that stopped on the middle of the circuit, to allow an evac training to take place on another train.
Duel - power outage during the blizzard in april
Air - stuck in brake run for 5 mins
Nemesis - stopped on lift for 2-3 mins, restarted

I'm pretty sure there have been others, but I can't remember them, and that's not including the ones I've attended as an operator