The Future of RITA..

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
stealthsmiler

That is true on the Swarm but any other ride where I have gone backwards, I found it more enjoyable. I think it could work on Rita as she doesn't really interact with any theming. I also think it could work on thirteen and Oblivion (waiting for the drop wouldn't be as good but getting dragged down underground would be). Rides like The Swarm and The Smiler interact with theming which when going backwards, isn't as effective, especially the nearmisses. But they should only make a car or to backwards on each train.
Dom

The backwards thing is, in my opinion, a waste of money. Why bother only putting one or two cars backwards. Either make the whole thing backwards or make it forwards.

As for Rita, I don't think AT will do anything with the ride for the foreseeable future. It is a popular ride in the park. The themeing on the ride is just terrible. No effort what so ever has been made on it. So if AT were to do anything, it should be to try and make it actually suit the Dark Forest area.
stealthsmiler

The problem with making it all backwards is that not everyone will like it backwards, so it gives them a choice. Also it increases the number of guests riding the ride as many will want to ride it forwards then ride it again backwards, which I did on the Swarm. If they just painted her to a dark green and painted the cars she would be fine. she wouldn't stick out so much.Maybe they could, invest a small amount of money to give the cars a rooty look like 13.
Hitch

In my opinion they really need to work on the Rita themeing, the scaffolding just looks terrible. I saw an image someone made a while ago with a thirteen crypt style building below the length of the launch, this could replace the scaffolding and make it look much better as well, but knowing towers nothing will happen.
Themeparksandy1981

The scaffolding kinda suits the dark forest theme. Just look at how the scaffolding works on 13.
stealthsmiler

I thought that today. I think they do need to paint all the track green though.
cookiee_munster

the whole ride could do with a rebrand. new name, new "cohesive" theme to fit properly into the rest of the dark forest.
its always stuck out like a sore thumb. even when DF was Ug Land.
if the ride were to have this sort of makeover, it would need some kind of new element for the park to advertise otherwise they've spent a helluva lot of money for prettying up an attraction for no profitable reason.
stealthsmiler

Could they try to sell a new and improved Dark Forest. I've always felt that area lacks the atmosphere Katanga Canyon and Forbidden Valley has. If they extended the are to include Hex, added some new flats and then do some work on Rita to fit her in. They could even give the area a new name to make it look brand new to the general public. I know The Dark Forest hasn't been around long but it would be expensive as apart from the new improvements, it would just need a new sign, the rest of the theming could stay the same. They could go with more of a Hex theme to do with the witch who put the curse on the tree. Even though it wouldn't happen, a large real/fake tree could be put at the end of Rita with chains in the branches. Rita could then go through the branches twice and could maybe be rethemed to be the curse that was put on the tree. The riders could hear the witch chant the curse just before launching and the witchy figure could be placed somewhere on the station. I think it would work really well as it would be an original and unique theme for Alton Towers to have.
Danny

Although I'm not sure I like the idea, a good way to possibly build on a theme could be to enclose the brake section. If it was to be themed to the witch casting a spell or curse, surrounding the track with brakes all the way round till you offload, could be first themed, much like verboltens indoor section themed to woods. Then the witches voice could be heard cackling and saying you escaped this time as the ride turns around the maintenance shed. Then you pull in to the off load station and exit normally.
wakey1512

Apart from launch cables snapping there hasn't really been many issues with this has there?

As for its existence the launch is exciting and Ok not as powerful as baco but it doesn't try to shake your spine to pieces either.

Layout could really do with an inversion adding to be honest.
Speedy_no1

stealthsmiler wrote:That is true on the Swarm but any other ride where I have gone backwards, I found it more enjoyable. I think it could work on Rita as she doesn't really interact with any theming. I also think it could work on thirteen and Oblivion (waiting for the drop wouldn't be as good but getting dragged down underground would be). Rides like The Swarm and The Smiler interact with theming which when going backwards, isn't as effective, especially the nearmisses. But they should only make a car or to backwards on each train.
Rita does interact with theming you ride Rita to escape the clutches of the dark forest!
Sr88

I wouldn't mind seeing another upgrade to the launch to make it even faster, if that were possible and safe.
stealthsmiler

By interacting with theming I mean objects/scenery. I know Rita's back story. Enclosing the brake run would be brilliant and maybe also the launch.
Sr88

Enclosing any of it would be, in my view, unnecessary. An enclosed launch would feel claustrophobic and would remove the excitement from queuing up for the ride. An enclosed brake run I don't think would add to the ride in any way.
NemesisRider

Still, it would contribute to the ride storyline! The enclosed brake run I mean.
sadie123

Rita is my least favourite ride in the park. I dunno why, there is just something about it. I'm a total speed junkie, yet it just doesn't do anything for me, I find the ride somewhat jerky, in a Corkscrew kind of way and I don't like the netting. So no matter what they do to it, I kind of am ambivalent towards it.
NemesisRider

I must admit, the first turn does bang your head around quite a bit. How possible is it that Rita could be given cushioned headrests? :lol
Dan

nemesisrider wrote:I must admit, the first turn does bang your head around quite a bit. How possible is it that Rita could be given cushioned headrests? :lol
Not very, if they were going to do something like that they would have either done them straightaway or not long after opening.
NemesisRider

Oh, I was hoping they could make it more comfortable...
Tom

I think they should make it backwards. :D

...I'm joking.

I think it's got quite a long future ahead of it due to the queues it constantly draws in.