The Future of RITA..

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
vikkimoo

I LOVE Rita! It's a one trick pony but for me it's a damn good trick :)
sw7nutter

Its a terrible ride, going on stealth as much as i do ruins rita. Rita comes across as slow, uncomfortable, out of place and a waste of time. The queue is always long for no reason and i would be happy to see the pile of scrap go. However i don't see it going any time soon as it does always have a queue and to get planning permission in that area of the park is hard.
stealthsmiler

After being on Stealth and Rita, Rita isn't terrible. The launch is brilliant and that is what a lot of the general public like, as you dont experience it on most roller coasters. I don't see why it will leave any time soon, as it gets big queues and theres other areas of the park that can be developed (Adventure Land). Plus I like how it goes over the Dark Forest and theres parts of 13s queue where Rita rushes by and it is brill. It would be good if AT could make her launch faster and quicker though, along with some new theming and a name.
sw7nutter

It would be nice if they could enhance it but they cant, most they could do is new trains, a faster launch would mean new stresses so new track and supports and then you would need planning permission so it would just be easier to build a new ride, which isnt going to happen. Personly i think rita is a waste of steel and isnt even scrap value but the GP seem to like it so unfortuantly its future is safe.
DeanGaryCox

I don't think Rita deserves the abuse it gets... I'm not saying i love the ride, but i did use to hate it, and thought it was so pointless when Thorpe get a ride like Stealth shortly after... but realising over the past years the reasoning behind why Rita isn't very high, and noticing how good airtime is, I actually enjoy Rita now - it's not a standout ride, but is certainly a good one to do first thing in the morning, front or back row, and if i'm honest would miss it if it's gone - of course it's wasted potential when there are far better launched rides, but as far as an Intamin one from back then with the budget Alton wanted to spend, that's what we had to end up with!
stealthsmiler

Stealth was made faster though. It could have been better, but then so should a lot of others. Why can't people just enjoy the ride for what it is instead of comparing it to Stealth. AT couldn't have had Stealth if they wanted it due to the height restrictions.

As long as it is working and popular, there's no need to remove it, it would be a waste of money, regardless of whether you think it was a waste of money in the first place.
Sr88

I love Rita :) It's a brilliant experience. Admittedly, I haven't actually gone on any other launch coasters, but I'm sure I's still love it even if I'd been on say... Formula Rossa ;) It has an okay track layout. Maybe not exceptionally interesting but it is still fun. I have thought that it would be cool for them to add an extra circle to it (but planning permission...), as it always has a lot of leftover speed at the end. Maybe a faster launch could be done, but probably not given that it would add stress and there may not be enough space to safely do it.

Actually, I wouldn't mind a new launch coaster that goes from Forbidden Valley down through to the Flume, and back at exceptionally high speeds, but with few interesting features (but at that speed..!). Or a similar one across the valley from Dark Forest.

Also, I have no problem with theming. Maybe it could be better, but really it is fine as it is. No need to move a ride completely because it isn't brown enough.

I would be annoyed if Rita were to go unless it were replaced by a bigger, better launch coaster.

Also: I heard another story regarding Stealth, that Rita was originally going to have most of Stealth's parts, but they couldn't fit it in, so they made Stealth too. I cannot believe this for one minute though!
NemesisRider

I think there is no way Rita will be removed for maybe even 10 years! It virtually always has a queue and it is the only launch coaster at Alton towers. What's more is that Rita has the largest audience of all of there coasters because of speed and lack of inversions.
Thorpe Towers 13

I think Rita is quite good to be honest. Its not my favorite ride there, but none the less the launch is good and its turns and hills are good fun. I prefer 13, feel you get more of a ride with that.
The Smiler

I did a review of Rita the other day here ~
And yeah, it's okay but Alton could do so much better in terms of a launch coaster.
TowersManiac0110

I know that these ideas are quite ridiculous, but here goes nothing:
1: reverse the train and go backwards all the way through.
2: on-ride audio sounding like a car speeding, with a few sounds of thunder here and there.
3: near misses in the shape of fallen trees around the banked curves and final few hills.
Danny

Near misses would be pointless if you want the train facing backwards :lol
TowersManiac0110

DannyG wrote:Near misses would be pointless if you want the train facing backwards :lol
I know. I wasn't suggesting all of them to be used at the same time, but I see what you mean. :D
Jevaaaans

Would a backwards launch coaster even be safe? Think about the force which pushes you back into your seat on Rita's launch, then imagine that acting on your back with no head support!
Danny

Jevaaaans wrote:Would a backwards launch coaster even be safe? Think about the force which pushes you back into your seat on Rita's launch, then imagine that acting on your back with no head support!
There are already coasters with backward launches. Most recently there was Full Throttle somewhere in US I think.
sw7nutter

DannyG wrote:
Jevaaaans wrote:Would a backwards launch coaster even be safe? Think about the force which pushes you back into your seat on Rita's launch, then imagine that acting on your back with no head support!
There are already coasters with backward launches. Most recently there was Full Throttle somewhere in US I think.
Yeah full throttle at six flags magic mountain launches you backwards as well as SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton. There also running their B&M invert backwards and their wooden coaster. As Rita is slow and the launch force isn't that strong compared to many other launch coasters it would be possible to run it backwards but merlin wouldn't want to risk people getting whiplash and spend the cash on converting it.
TowersManiac0110

sw7nutter wrote:
DannyG wrote:
Yeah full throttle at six flags magic mountain launches you backwards as well as SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton. There also running their B&M invert backwards and their wooden coaster. As Rita is slow and the launch force isn't that strong compared to many other launch coasters it would be possible to run it backwards but merlin wouldn't want to risk people getting whiplash and spend the cash on converting it.
Yeah, it probably wouldn't be safe enough to ride. I really need to consider some stuff.
Danny

It would be safe to ride, just like backwards launch coasters such as Full Throttle is safe to ride. The only reasons AT wouldn't is they see it as a waste of money, which I agree with.
NickiFan

Rita going backwards is just as likely as the ropers giving up :lol

I love Rita and I hope she stays around for a few more years :P

Yeah, she isn't themed as well as other coasters but she does give a good sense of intimidation, its incredible seeing the airtime hills from fountain square :)
Sr88

To be honest I don't think I would enjoy the rides as much backwards. I may be proven wrong when tested, but part of the fun is in the anticipation of what is about to happen from what you can see! Looking backwards just doesn't give that same thrill for me.