Ride Downtime Thread 2012

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
danielbhoy88uk

I must say i visited the park on tuesday and had a wonderful day. Every ride was open which was good. The ride staff were out of this world and also got to ride in the drivers cabin on the monorail which also made the day even better for my son.
mikey_mcl

TH13TEEN and Air were having intermittent periods of short downtime today!
DeadJack5

i remember in the easter that nemesis had broke down for the first time ever for me, but it resumed after 10 minutes, all i could see was the staff sweeping water off the docking bay (near the entrance to the station the moving floor)
T0M

I would post this in the Rita topic but I can't seem to find one, anyway, a report over at TPM claims that Rita's launch cable has snapped this morning which will mean that Rita will be down for a while. Fortunately no one was hurt.
T0M

Here's a link to a photo just posted as well, I wont embed it as it isn't mine.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6563_n.jpg
Boz

yep, that is definitely a snapped launch cable  :roll:
This happens far too much on Intamin accelerator coasters, and one of these days someone is going to get seriously/fatally injured.
I know for a fact that it has happened several times on stealth. The first time was in fact even in it's first season, when it went took out a number of brake fins, one of which ended up in the Rumba Rapids trough.
T0M

Someone did get injured in 2009 on Xcelerator at Knotts Berry Farm when the cable snapped, it wasn't fatal but was quite a serious laceration to a 12 year olds leg. If this keeps happening then surely Intamin need to start using stronger cables or have them replaced more frequently.
Rob
Admin
Admin

Sources indicate that it won't be out of action for long. Days rather then weeks if no other damage has been done.
bensaund

I hope it is up and running soon as those poor people who will be queuing for long on other rides
If you go down to the woods today
HFantasma

My ride tech knowledge isn't good but shouldn't they have some sort of protection to stop people getting hurt if this happens?
Next Trip: Alton Towers 16/17 October!
BarryD

Was gutted this was closed today, they closed off the whole Dark Forest for a while so there was no Thirteeen either for a while. Although, to be honest, the Q's were not too bad on the other rides, best they have been for a while. The longest I waited for anything was 10 mins for Air. Doubt this will be the same story next week when I go though!
Rob
Admin
Admin

There is a metal protection strip that runs under the cable.
Simps100

Boz wrote: yep, that is definitely a snapped launch cable  :roll:
This happens far too much on Intamin accelerator coasters, and one of these days someone is going to get seriously/fatally injured.
I know for a fact that it has happened several times on stealth. The first time was in fact even in it's first season, when it went took out a number of brake fins, one of which ended up in the Rumba Rapids trough.
I think your confusing the more major issue on stealth with a cable snap.

The issue on stealth was far more serious than just a cable snap, infact i think the cable was fine after it was the metal track the cable runs through which was replaced.
Boz

not likely, i was operating inferno at the time, and it was confirmed by no less than 5 sources. 2 of our team leaders, an engineer buddy of mine, the rumba op and finally the stealth op, whom i was also pretty good friends with :)
however this was 6 years ago so you could be correct, but this is as i remember it.
Last edited by Boz on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simps100

Unless were talking about a different incident? Im pretty sure the one in July which kept it closed for a good couple of months wasnt just a simple cable snap.
Boz

could be that my memory is combining 2 separate incidents, cause the cable definitely snapped in sept/oct so you might be right  :?
MattsDesigns

Simps100 wrote:
Boz wrote: yep, that is definitely a snapped launch cable  :roll:
I think your confusing the more major issue on stealth with a cable snap.

The issue on stealth was far more serious than just a cable snap, infact i think the cable was fine after it was the metal track the cable runs through which was replaced.
Cable snap also happened at Knots Berry - I hate to cast aspersion towards the industry I love but that's what happened.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Themeparksandy1981

I guess the cable is monitored by computers all the time and when it gets to it's weakest point allowed they some how snap the cable so it can be replaced.
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

I've been told by a member of staff that I was only 4 days away from being replaced.
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

I can't see the edit button, Rita has now re-opened.