Ride Downtime Thread 2012

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
lisa46

i just called alton towers and the lady i spoke to said rita was still down, they are unsure when she will be back in action
roary01

RITA has reopened today, it was back open this afternoon.
Chris-TT

I can confirm this, nice 45 min queue for her at the moment. She must have been missed
Adam

She is back open now. Currently the area under the launch is fenced off and foot traffic is being directed through the Arcade and out the back fire exit.

I assume there will be installing some kind of permanent barrier installed under the track shortly.

Photos below from yesterday.

:)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Kenzie2012

That looks Awful!!!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Rob
Admin
Admin

Hopefully that's only temporary and they add some sort of protection under the track or something
scott.smith

Damm it looks awful, hopefully they have a nice themed bridge that goes under the launch section or M£RLIN being M£RLIN scaffolding with wire mesh on top ;)
Rob
Admin
Admin

Monorail currently out of action.
DONT LOOK DOWN

When it was the last day at Alton Towers (27 July) Rita wasnt working. I also tried yesterday
and it wasnt working. I was really looking forward to Rita and it was my first visit to AT!
Being number two is just being the first to lose.
bensaund

Yesterday my seatbelt came off half way round the track on Rita, I was not impressed. Poor staff check or due to the fact the belts on Rita are around 6 inches shorter than Stealth and way too tight? I complained and they halted the ride for a safety check.
If you go down to the woods today
Chaz

bensaund wrote: Yesterday my seatbelt came off half way round the track on Rita, I was not impressed. Poor staff check or due to the fact the belts on Rita are around 6 inches shorter than Stealth and way too tight? I complained and they halted the ride for a safety check.
There really was no need. For one, belts will fall out from time to time (just pop them back in). Secondly, there is no safety advantage to them whatsoever during normal operation, as said on forums all the time, if enough force was implied to open your restraint then the belt wouldn't stand a chance (and it is believed to be impossible).

They are mainly put in trains for customer reassurance and are not in H&S 'demands'. However, if you had to evac (on a lift hill for example) theybdo a good job in keeping people in their seats whilst some of the seats are unlocked (although they usually unlock them in sets of 2 or 4). This, however, doesn't really have an advantage on RITA.

So complaining and sending the ride into downtime really shouldn't have happened, the staff should know that. It most probably would have been the fact the belt wasn't pulled properly once inserted.

Hope this clears some info up.

Sent from my iPad
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Adam

Here's the current Rita launch area. A new themed walkway has been set up under the launch.

Hearing it's gonna be like this for the remainder of the season.
monkeyboy

Power cut at park yesterday.  Down time for lots of rides 1-2 hours. rides that I saw out of action.  Thirteen, Blivy, Rita, Duel, Nemesis ST.

Lots of fraustrated people just milling around for long periods not able to get on rides.

Got replacement on my next visit  for my fasttrack ticket as I had a moan at guest services!

oh and no monorail??? bus replacement. unsure why?
Adam

The powercut yesterday affected X-Sector, CCL and Dark Forest. The power was out for around an hour, and all rides were back open again within 3 hours, with Th13teen being the last to re-open due to her incurring a few errors after the power outage.

Nemesis ST was closed towards the end of the day due to an unrelated reason.

The Monorail is also unavailable at the moment due to an incident that took place last week. More information on this can be found here. :)
keithsmith68@yahoo.co.uk

Went yesterday (fourth year with the kids) noticed for the first time some attractions opening at different times or closing earlier speaking with some of the staff its' due to cut backs (merlin group losing money). [-X
stu1980

Monorail was being tested yesterday in the afternoon - asked one of the bus drivers and he said there looking to get it open asap and parts have arrived to be fitted. going back sat so will watch for it again.
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
Adam

Apparently the monorail is currently planned to re-open tomorrow. More details when we get it.
SkyOfAsh

going today will post laster (if i remeber :) ) about the monorail.
Adam

The monorail has indeed re-opened again today. :)
aircanman

Adam wrote: The monorail has indeed re-opened again today. :)
Not looking like the best of years for AT at the moment is it, hopefully they get things sorted for when I visit in October for Scarefest.