Th13teen trimmed yet again?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Rob L

James wrote: Wasn't it John Wardley that had said the trims are only there because without them the ride would pull negative g's - and that would then rule out Th13teen as being a family ride as it would be too forceful/stressful for the family market?
Yes, John Wardley did say that at the Thirteen evening a couple of years ago.

I have to agree that Thirteen does feel faster now, I believe that they have adjusted the trims slightly so that is not trimmed quite as much. The new structure is merely to allow easier access to the second trim brake. It really does need painting black though as it looks awful at the moment.

:)

Longy

So, is this new structure permanent?
Does anyone have an image of it please?

(See, geekiness kicking in again...)
BigAl

Longy wrote: So, is this new structure permanent?
Does anyone have an image of it please?

(See, geekiness kicking in again...)
I'll try and get one today if nobody else has one. :)
Magrathea

The only place you could really get a photo from would be (possibly) the Skyride, given its posiiton on the ride.

Literally imagine the bit of metal in that ORP but larger and under the track :P
owenjones92

Theme park news took a picture of this a few weeks ago, it's quite difficult to see though

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2
DONT...LOOK..DOWN
Bunbury

The negative G reasoning stated by Wardley is correct, but I've also heard in the past that a test dummy flew out during the test period. Intamin offered Alton the opportunity of installing ratchet-lead restraints (2, 3, 4 clicks, etc.), but the additional cost was upwards of £100,000.
SwEDEN

So are there no clear pictures showing this so called "new structure" added to Th13teen :( that's a shame, if anyone does have any good pictures, please show :)
siralgenon

When iv'e been on TH13TEEN over the last few weeks I thought it seemed quicker too, now even if you sit in the middle of the train you still lift out of your seat! However yes it needs painting as you can see it in the on-ride photos.
Tom G

Hopefully after a few more seasons of declining popularity, they'll remove the trims completely and add a "now faster than ever" quip.
BigAl

My photo is terrible (it's just a fuzzy silhouette) so I won't be uploading it. :P But I agree that the new structure needs disguising. I though Th13teen's lift wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing thing in existence, so adding another ugly structure next to it didn't exactly look good. I'm sure they'll do something with it though.

:)
tomglazed

If the trimming was to do with overspeeding into the second lift hill then could the system not be re-programmed in order for the maximum speed value to be higher and prevent the system from e-stopping needlessly?

I'm not sure where The negative G's argument came from but surely if Quantum at Thorpe Park is graded as Thrilling and Fun for the family market then Thirteen can still be a family ride with a little more force?
If only you knew what I knew, then you could see just what I see.