Walt Disney World General Discussion

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
olilio

it says on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otis_Elevator_Company

that it is the otis elevator company
Redcoat Jase

[quote=""Walt Disney World Press Dept.""]Walt Disney World has send out a press release about the Disney-MGM Studios name change. Here's the full text:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (Aug. 9, 2007) -- In the Walt Disney World theme park famous for all things Hollywood, it's curtain up on the launch of new attractions, new looks, new breakthrough experiences...

...and a brand-new name.

Disney-MGM Studios will be renamed Disney's Hollywood Studios, effective January 2008, announced Meg Crofton, president of Walt Disney World Resort.

"The new name reflects how the park has grown from representing the golden age of movies to a celebration of the new entertainment that today's Hollywood has to offer -- in music, television, movies and theater," she said.

Framed by the park's supporting cast of classic Hollywood architecture are shows and attractions straight from contemporary Hollywood, such as Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, "Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show" and many more. Disney's Hollywood Studios is also the place to meet favorite character stars of today including Lightning McQueen and Mater from Disney-Pixar's "Cars," Power Rangers and Little Einsteins.

With exciting coming attractions and experiences, the best and brightest of Hollywood is about to emerge for park guests, Crofton said.

"As Disney continues to grow and invest in our family entertainment business, we constantly explore new ways to deliver high-quality, immersive experiences for our guests," she added. "As a park all about entertainment, Disney's Hollywood Studios will deliver like never before. Now we can say that Hollywood is literally our middle name."

New Attractions, Experiences

* Toy Story Mania! Guests get sporty in a new, interactive "Toy Story" competition inspired by Disney-Pixar's "Toy Story" films and hosted by characters like they've never before experienced. Past a queuing area featuring a giant Mr. Potato Head, guests grab 3-D glasses, board fanciful ride vehicles and zip into a world of exciting midway-style games hosted by many of their favorite "Toy Story" characters including Woody, Hamm and Rex. Once inside "Andy's Toy Box," the competition heats up. Who can rack up the most points? Using spring-action shooters, guests launch darts at balloons, rings at aliens, eggs at whimsical barnyard targets. Toy Story Mania! takes the interactive ride-game experience to infinity -- and beyond. (summer 2008)

* "Block Party Bash." Play, party and dance as the Disney-Pixar Film Pals present "Block Party Bash," the wildest, most interactive parade in Disney history. New to Disney's Hollywood Studios, "Block Party Bash" will invite guests to rock to retro tunes, be dazzled by high-flying acrobatics and join in the fun as more than 20 partying Disney-Pixar Film Pals fill the theme park streets. This immersive rolling spectacle will feature favorite characters from "The Incredibles," "Toy Story 2," "Monsters, Inc." and "A Bug's Life." (spring 2008, replaces "Disney Stars and Motor Cars" parade)

* "Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" A whole new cast of friends from Playhouse Disney fills the popular Playhouse Disney stage. Children will be on their feet singing, clapping and dancing to performing stars from "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse," "Little Einsteins," "Handy Manny" and more. ("Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" will be dark most of January 2008, reopens February 2008)

* "Disney High School Musical 2: School's Out!" With new songs and a rollicking new spirit, the Disney Channel Original Movie "High School Musical 2" comes to life on the streets of Disney's Hollywood Studios. It is interactive fun as high-energy performers on a traveling stage invite all ages to catch Wildcat fever by singing and dancing. (fall 2007, replaces "High School Musical Pep Rally")

* Meet and Greet Adds Handy Manny. And what would a Disney theme park be without characters? Disney's Hollywood Studios is center stage for character meet and greets. Disney Channel stars JoJo and Goliath and the Little Einsteins welcome guests in the Animation Courtyard next to "Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" and will be joined for the first time by Handy Manny later this year. (November 2007)

Part of the Disney's Hollywood Studios magic includes events for which the park is famous. To a stellar lineup including ABC Super Soap Weekend, the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights, ESPN the Weekend and Star Wars Weekends, the park reprises the Playhouse Disney in Concert series with dynamic concerts and special entertainment for little ones.

Headliners include favorite children's acts The Doodlebops, Imagination Movers, Dan Zanes and Friends, and Johnny and the Sprites. The fun happens on select dates Aug. 30-Oct. 28, 2007, during Little Ones Travel Time in a 10,000 square foot, air-conditioned performance venue. For the complete show schedule: disneyworld.com/pdic.

In addition, holidays at Disney's Hollywood Studios will have a special sparkle this year as the park hosts the Harlem Gospel Choir Nov. 30-Dec. 25, 2007.

"This is easily one of the most ambitious attractions rollouts in the 18-year history of the park," Crofton said. "With so many great coming attractions, we are thrilled to be launching a Studios year unlike any other. Wrapped in a brand-new name...Disney's Hollywood Studios."

Source: Walt Disney World press department[/quote]

I think I prefer 'Disney-MGM' Studios personally.. :P Or Perhaps 'The Disney Bros. Studios' (Bros. Meaning Brothers)
Last edited by Redcoat Jase on Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum
altontowerskid

What a bad idea, the name doesn't work and im actually really annoyed that Disney would do this. Im sure they know that the name 'Disney-MGM' Studios is a very famous one and changing it to Hollywood just is not going to be a helping hand. Hopefully they'll see what a bad mistake they are making and change it back to MGM.
Ash

Walt Disney World Studios is what i wanted :-(

MGM is getting on a bit now though, but i like how the park captures the "Golden Era" of cinema as this is what Walt grew up through and wanted.
Dagan

Found this by pure chance, but feel I should share it with you lot.

Modern Marvels - Walt Disney World

An interesting documentary which shows behind the scenes of many rides. So if you want to see how the Tower of Terror works, or how they thought up how to make Soarin work, then this is for you.

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven
Part Eight
Part Nine
Part Ten
Part Eleven
Part Twelve
Ash

Seen them before, really interesting.

Just shows the quality that Alton doesnt have!
Crofty

Love it! :D
Not seen these before, I know most of the history but its really nice to see some behind the scenes stuff!
I was really interested in the Audio Animatronics, anyone whos seen these in action, perticualy the presidents/American history show in Epcot will probably agree that they are superb and almost human like.

Will watch somemore later, looking forward to seeing the building of spaceship earth.

:D :D
altontowers1

I love florida so much, last time i went was a couple of years back in 2003 and i would just love! to go again they have the best rides in the world, and them clips show that, good old waltdisney :D/.

Brilliant find there matey x

p.s. any reason why they didnt show blizzardbeach or typhoon lagoon?

Carling cup winners 2011 Birmingham City fc
Green.Wing

The latest buzz about the upcoming Space Mountain rehab claims that “Mission 2” has been given the green light and that it looks like they will likely be gutting the entire inside of the mountain and rebuilding the ride from scratch. A possible plan to speed up the process may be to remove the “top” of the mountain itself to allow for the removal of the old ride more quickly and in much larger pieces than what would normally be able to fit through the 22 ft tall back door. The funny part of the this story however is that in much the same fashion that they put up covered scaffolding around the buildings in Epcot when they go under rehab, painted to look like how the exterior should look, they are considering a similar tactic for the top of Space Mountain to help hide the bald spot if they remove it.
Space Mountain – Will be closed 1/1/08 to 2/15/08 (**not guaranteed to be 100% accurate**)

So could disney really be updateing its world famous coaster for 2008 ?
Last edited by Green.Wing on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

[quote=""Green.Wing""]
Splash Mountain – Will be closed 1/1/08 to 2/15/08 (**not guaranteed to be 100% accurate**)
[/quote]

Neither is the new name. :lol: :P
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
Green.Wing

Sorry lol. EDITED
tomfeltonfan

Space Mountain Mission 2 is great. Went on it twice in one day (I know it doesn't sound much but when you're with family it is) and it is fantastic.
Sebastian

Is this basically a whole new ride, or just refurbished ride and refurbished theming?
tomfeltonfan

It's just refurbished. You wouldn't know any different from the outside apart from the fact it now says Mission 2
Green.Wing

There will be a difference inside. Think there will be a different layout to the one atm. However could be wrong. Could be new altogther.
tomfeltonfan

Well I really can't compare the layout of Mission 2 to the original as I had my eyes closed all the way through the original! But yeah I think the layout has changed.
Crofty

Doesn't Mission 2 in Paris have a launch section at the start? If so then it will be a new ride for WDW as I don't recall any Launch.

Just to point out the rehab Scaffolding, I've not seen anything painted to look like a ride.
I've been twice over winter months when there a few rides closed for rehab and they've all just had boards in front of them like you'd find at any other themepark, all be it painted with nice pictures.

If this is indeed true though, i'd love to see some pictures :D
Mankey

They better keep it as a vekoma (i know the chances of this changing is pretty minute... but still) and not change the layout... its awsome...

^^ Chris ^^
Back from hibernation!
Liam

Space Mountain in Florida needs ripping out completely and starting again really. It's no where near as good as Paris - totally different ride.
Stu

[quote=""Liam""]Space Mountain in Florida needs ripping out completely and starting again really. It's no where near as good as Paris - totally different ride.[/quote]

Agree with Liam totaly.... it needs ripping out and starting again.. it's not a Disney ride..... the theming before you go on is great, but the ride it self needs updating soooo much, wouldn't cost them much to do either compared to their other projects... needs a big re-vamp!