2012 operational cuts

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
AstroDan

I also feel a little for the staff in this one.

What happens to all the ride staff who evidently will see hours reduced and may end up seeking other jobs!?

:?
siralgenon

I know I literally moan about everything, but the park is now seriously going down hill. Why do Merlin keep making these stupid decisions? They are not short on money, so why lower the quality on everything, shorten hours and cut attractions?

They said they were closing Enterprise and Submission - uproar from public
They said they were to shorten opening hours - uproar from public
They're now going close the SkyRide for most of the week - __________

Just leave things how they are  :|
Delta79

I am surprised that no one has blamed the cost cutting on them that hate oblivion.  :lol:
The Psychoaster

I wonder what the chances are that Merlin will announce that the Skyride will close on off-peak days, and then following large public outrage, renege upon that statement and revert to having it open every day. And then everyone will say "How fantastic are Merlin, they listen to their customers"  ;)
mrbrightside

There's only so many times they can go back on their word. It's no coincidence that once one potential closure or change is reversed, another is sought and publicised...

I assume the 'excuse' will be that people survived without it for the majority of 2011 so it won't be missed. If that is so, then why wasn't it removed instead of vastly renovated for this season?

The cutbacks from Merlin are crazy. It's abundantly clear that Blackstone are trying to recoup as much as they can before Merlin is floated. It's killing the theme parks and could lead to worse situations post-flotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
PeteB

mrbrightside wrote: The cutbacks from Merlin are crazy. It's abundantly clear that Blackstone are trying to recoup as much as they can before Merlin is floated. It's killing the theme parks and could lead to worse situations post-flotation.
They've been itching to float for a while now haven't they? It's probably going to happen very soon, and once it does Vick Narny will get his millions and then on top of that either Merlin or Blackstone will sell up and there'll be another round of shares again. It's clear what they're up to.

Pearson's had the best strategy though and they did well when the time came to sell up.
mrbrightside

PeteB wrote:
mrbrightside wrote: The cutbacks from Merlin are crazy. It's abundantly clear that Blackstone are trying to recoup as much as they can before Merlin is floated. It's killing the theme parks and could lead to worse situations post-flotation.
They've been itching to float for a while now haven't they? It's probably going to happen very soon, and once it does Vick Narny will get his millions and then on top of that either Merlin or Blackstone will sell up and there'll be another round of shares again. It's clear what they're up to.
They've been itching to float, but it seems that they keep putting it off in order to recoup more and more cash through cutbacks and savings... We can only hope that when it happens, the next majority shareholder will run Merlin with a long-term plan as opposed to the get-rich-quick attitude they are currently told to have.

It does, unfortunately, look unlikely though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
thefatone

They only put off the float cos the shares market had pretty much collapsed when they were going to do it - instead they got another company on board, CVC i believe, to fund their expansion etc.

Dunno when they'll next decide to float though, who knows. Depends how long the current investors are happy with it, and how long this economic downturn lasts.
Bote

Merlin seems to be well aware of Blackstone's intentions. I'm no expert in these matters but what I believe is happening is Merlin are ordering their attractions to cut back their expenses in order to generate more profit. This extra profit in most cases seems to go to writing off debts for individual attractions and Merlin itself. I can only imagine the reason for doing this is so the company looks more appealing when it floats, so new investors aren't put off by things like this?

Like I say, this is just assumption on my part. I don't really understand these things :P
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

The problem I have with the Skyride being closed is as a wheelchair user I can't us the gardens to get from DF to FV so it will take me about 30 mins to go the long way round.
RyanY

I feel this might be another decision that Merlin/Alton Towers will have to go back on because we saw the opposition at the 4pm closing times and they had to go back on that.
lozzyhickers

alex tyler wrote: The problem I have with the Skyride being closed is as a wheelchair user I can't us the gardens to get from DF to FV so it will take me about 30 mins to go the long way round.
This is exactly what i'm talking about. I don't have a physical disability, but I still think it's disgusting for Towers to even consider this, for people like yourself. So Towers will expect you to come on a peak day when it's running? And the queues are much larger, even for those with disabilities? What a great compromise...
Bote

Of course the real tragedy to all this will be the loss of the Buyride track. Now where am I going to find out about Ice Age 4D under Forbidden Valley, home to the Master Blaster water coaster and Sir Algeeon's discoveries, or about how I can fork out more money on top what I've spent so I can goto Legoland Discovery Centre Manchester and Madame Tussauds Blackpool? :(
Magrathea

lozzyhickers wrote:
alex tyler wrote: The problem I have with the Skyride being closed is as a wheelchair user I can't us the gardens to get from DF to FV so it will take me about 30 mins to go the long way round.
This is exactly what i'm talking about. I don't have a physical disability, but I still think it's disgusting for Towers to even consider this, for people like yourself. So Towers will expect you to come on a peak day when it's running? And the queues are much larger, even for those with disabilities? What a great compromise...
I would imagine the logic will be "well everyone managed when it was down for cable repairs/after the fire, and after dark at Scarefest, so it won't be a problem for now...". Like I said, though, I wouldn't point the blame on Towers as I imagine hands are very much being forced on this issue if it does go ahead :)
lozzyhickers

Magrathea wrote:
lozzyhickers wrote:
I would imagine the logic will be "well everyone managed when it was down for cable repairs/after the fire, and after dark at Scarefest, so it won't be a problem for now...". Like I said, though, I wouldn't point the blame on Towers as I imagine hands are very much being forced on this issue if it does go ahead :)
But did they? I know of some disabled people that don't visit during those periods for that reason alone!
I'm not blaming Towers for having the idea, it's obvious it's Merlin. But Towers shouldn't even be entertaining the idea in my opinion, it gives them a bad image. I just hope this rumour is all false.
Alex Tyler

lozzyhickers wrote:
Magrathea wrote:
lozzyhickers wrote: This is exactly what i'm talking about. I don't have a physical disability, but I still think it's disgusting for Towers to even consider this, for people like yourself. So Towers will expect you to come on a peak day when it's running? And the queues are much larger, even for those with disabilities? What a great compromise...
But did they? I know of some disabled people that don't visit during those periods for that reason alone!
I'm not blaming Towers for having the idea, it's obvious it's Merlin. But Towers shouldn't even be entertaining the idea in my opinion, it gives them a bad image. I just hope this rumour is all false.
I still went but I didn't enjoy it as much.
AstroDan

People don't expect it from the countries leading theme park.

Basically.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
Alex Tyler

Starting from tomorrow the skyride will only open on peak days
Jazzy B Bunny

alex tyler wrote: Starting from tomorrow the skyride will only open on peak days
This will include bank holidays I assume?
Boz

Then, as melodramatic as it sounds, I shall not return to AT until they reverse that decision.  I live a four hour drive away and I don't like to visit on peak days.  So as an off peak visitor, why should I no longer have the benefit of the skyride not only as a form of transport, across a park that is extremely large, but as another attraction to enjoy with my family/friends.  As someone who only visits during the week I have now been given one more, fairly large, reason not to visit.
Last edited by Boz on Wed May 16, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.