2012 operational cuts

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
AstroDan

Longy wrote: Hopefully, normal operations will resume in the future, with more money coming into the park from SW7 and future developments.
What makes you so sure? If anything, the park is suffering more operationally now than at any time since Tussauds "dark days".
Charlee

This is disgusting, I've only been on this forum for what, 5 months? And I'm already sick of M£rlin's money grabbing schemes.
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.
Tom G

Longy wrote: I know people find it hard to walk around the park, but would you rather have reduced opening hours and 2 SBNO rides, or a transport system only open on peak days?
That's precisely the point, they tried opening hour trim and semi-reversed it following the complaints! They'll now test this idea! It will continue indefinitely, and escalate once Merlin float.
Longy

AstroDan wrote:
Longy wrote: Hopefully, normal operations will resume in the future, with more money coming into the park from SW7 and future developments.
What makes you so sure? If anything, the park is suffering more operationally now than at any time since Tussauds "dark days".
That's why I said hopefully.

There must be a way to solve this issue, whether it's a new company taking over, or Merlin receiving more funds.
I just hope that AT can get up and running fully, without any rides closed, and without the threat of rides closing!

I just want the good days back...
Charlee

M£rlin don't need more funds, they need a kick up the backside.
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.
BigAl

Besides preparing an email to Merlin, I've also changed my Favourite ride to 'Skyride' as a pointless constant visual reminder. That's all I can really do. We've created topics and voiced our opinions and things just get worse. :|
lozzyhickers

Charlee wrote: M£rlin don't need more funds, they need a kick up the backside.
Agreed.
One angry email has been sent. As NastyPasty said, it's discrimination!
NastyPasty

Time for a '2011: The Honest Truth'-esque petition, I think.
I'm actually stuck for ideas on how else this problem can be eradicated swiftly.
Keep on whistlin', folks.

sheepie

I really feel for the parks. At first it felt as though the changes that were being made had a minimal affect on the guest experience. Now I think it's gone too far and has just crossed the line as to what is acceptable, at least from me as a guest.

The truth is, the people at the parks are trying their hardest but they're stuck between a rock and a hard place- they don't really have any choice other than to save X amount of money and to just get on with it.
Last edited by sheepie on Wed May 16, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't blink; not even for a second, blink and you're dead.
AstroDan

sheepie wrote: I really feel for the parks. At first it felt as though the changes that were being made had a minimal affect on the guest experience. Now I think it's gone too far and has just crossed the line to what is acceptable, at least from me as a guest.

The truth is, the people at the parks are trying their hardest but they're stuck between a rock and a hard place- they don't really have any choice other than to save X amount of money and to just get on with it.
It is exactly that, and it is why people still have faith in "the park" itself. I know that the people that run Alton Towers (want to) do a good job. They have loads of ideas on how to improve the park, how to run it well, how to ensure amazing experiences for every guest.

They just... can't. Because of their parent company. It's awful!
Tom G

sheepie wrote: I really feel for the parks. At first it felt as though the changes that were being made had a minimal affect on the guest experience. Now I think it's gone too far and has just crossed the line to what is acceptable, at least from me as a guest.

It's operated by Merlin, which is operated by accountants. I'm not sure how many of these decisions come down to Ian Crabbe, but it's the accountants he has to answer to at the end of the day.

I'm not sure who exactly it is you feel sorry for, if you mean the general staff - operators etc then fine, but it's still the 'park' making the decision.

It's not that they're hard done by, it's that they've identified an area for a potential saving.
NastyPasty

Another point is, why bother replacing all the audio if it's never to be used? Poor money management. That cash (seen as they are so hard done by at the moment) could've been used to repaint and fix up the rotting park.

Dark times for Alton. Someone needs to speak up now before it's too late. Seems like Merlin care less than Flamingo Land about guest satisfaction at the moment.

I'm considering setting up an external petition if anybody would sign up?
Keep on whistlin', folks.

roary01

AstroDan wrote: I urge you all to send an email to Merlin, at the following email address, to voice your concerns about Alton Towers inability to operate effectively:

comments@merlinentertainments.biz
I have just voiced my annoyance about the disgraceful running been forced on Alton towers, and await a response...
Satch

The issue, as I have said before, is Merlin view Towers, Chessington and Thorpe all as one entity, the Theme Park Resort branch of the Merlin brand. They have one budget which, if directed towards one park, would see fantastic results, but they have it split between the three in a three year cycle.

It makes it easier for them for admin and banking purposes, but not for operational purposes. They occupy three separate sites, and should be treated so. But alas, it's not the case.

I can see in 10 years time, if Merlin still operate as they do, all three branded as Merlin: Alton Towers etc. l
BigAl

The thing is, if they listen to the complaints and choose to reverse their decision then where will they go to make cuts afterwards? This is a loose loose situation for all of us.
sheepie

Tom G wrote:

It's operated by Merlin, which is operated by accountants. I'm not sure how many of these decisions come down to Ian Crabbe, but it's the accountants he has to answer to at the end of the day.

I'm not sure who exactly it is you feel sorry for, if you mean the general staff - operators etc then fine, but it's still the 'park' making the decision.

It's not that they're hard done by, it's that they've identified an area for a potential saving.
Yes it is true that individual park management make the decision on where money can be saved but they do not have any choice on how much has to be saved. Sadly, they're not in a position where they can just turn around and say, " well, no we're not going to actually". Sure there are a lot of politics involved and like any business there shall be meeting after meeting debating about these sorts of issues, where Senior Leadership teams from the parks can voice their concerns to Merlin who will likely pass this on to Blackstone, which as most people know, is where this is originating from.

Our theme parks have their own amazing managerial teams, they have demonstrated this through various means, whether this is through presentations and interviews with communities or as a few people from our enthusiast community have- we have had the amazing opportunity to be able to work along side them at the parks themselves. It is clear that they are totally invested in their guests and staff and are actually enthusiasts themselves.

I feel sorry for everyone involved, from the front-line-staff losing out on money, to managers having to make pressing and difficult decisions that have an adverse affect on their staff and recently, it seems it'll ultimately have an affect on their guests.

I realise you want to point the blame at someone Tom and as easy as it is to point it at a particular park; it isn't necessarily their doing or their fault, it comes from much higher up.
Last edited by sheepie on Wed May 16, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't blink; not even for a second, blink and you're dead.
Satch

Blackstone are not involved in any budgetary decisions, they are purely a private equity firm. Sure, the out money in and cream off the top, but don't be confused into thinking they have any further input than that
roary01

This is where i believe Merlin should sell off Chessington and keep:
  • Alton Towers - as the main UK Merlin themepark (families/Thrill)
  • Thorpe Park - Thrillseeker park
  • Legoland - Children's Park
Chessington isn't needed by Merlin and the (LITTLE) money spent there could be spred around the other UK parks...

But of course this would never happen...
Last edited by roary01 on Wed May 16, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satch

Legoland is considered in a different investment brand to the other three. They will try their best to keep it as a separate identified brand
Ritadz

This is disgraceful. Once again M£rlin have proved how bad they really are. Shutting two (albeit not very popular) flat rides is bad enough, but when you have a park with such stupidly high distances from area to area, you need to have a transport option for people unable to walk, or with conditions that limit their mobility. This just takes the piss.

I will still visit the park while my MAP is still running, which it does until the end of March 2013. Why should I pay £120 and not visit the M£rlin parks? However, I certainly won't be renewing my MAP, and won't even contemplate visiting AT while these corporate fat cats are in charge of the park after it expires. In other words, I won't be going till M£rlin does.

So, as of next year I'll be spending several weekends riding Valhalla and Grand National, in a park that doesn't push Fastracks, isn't full of people trying to take you picture (Minus the rare character pics in Nick Land) and charges £32 for entrance. Plus it's open longer and the food isn't at extortionate prices.

Words can't describe how sick I am of M£rlin right now. Awful company run by awful people who don't give two :censored: about their guests.