TT Map

Attraction Source and TowersTimes website news, comments and suggestions.
Charlee

When will the TT Alton Towers map be updated with Nemesis: Sub Terra and Ice Age 4D? Sorry if this has already been asked or if its being worked on and I'm just impatient :D
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.
BigHairJoe

Hi. This was brought up at TTF@10 and the person who created the map is no longer apart of the community but there is someone in mind to do a new one that's all I can remember about it
Squiggles

It is on my list of things to do. Unfortunately it is one of the updates I do for the site that takes much longer then all the rest, hence why I did a small celbratory dance in 2011 when they announced they weren't adding any new attractions to the park, officially making me the only person to be pleased by that turn of events.

I'm sure I'll get on to it quite soon now. Up until now I've kind of been hiding between my rock/glacier pillars and hoping no one noticed. God... I'm starting to sound like the park, you'll be able to see the MDF poking out at the edges of the site before long.
Edwardo..... move me!
Longy

I was thinking about developing my own map, but God it's hard!

Fair play to you for the brilliant Photoshopping of the previous map, as it is very hard to do so. The map itself shouldn't be too hard to change this year really, but then again, it's about fitting everything on. Sub Terra will be the hardest part as you may need to reposition it slightly so you can see it fully.

Good work anyway, and I can't wait to see this year's map if it's released, let alone next year's! ;)
djtruefitt

And while you are updating it Mr.Squiggles, could you remove the Beastie (or put a blue fence around it :P)
Charlee

Shame about the member that left, I wish that I new how create things like the TT Map :x
I used to think I knew a lot about coasters, but then I joined this forum.
Squiggles

Charlee wrote: Shame about the member that left, I wish that I new how create things like the TT Map :x
The simple answer is Paint. As far as I' aware the original map was designed in MS Paint, though obviously since then a fair old amount of photo-shopping has occurred as well.
djtruefitt wrote: And while you are updating it Mr.Squiggles, could you remove the Beastie (or put a blue fence around it :P)
For you, it's gone! But don't go telling everyone, I won't remove a Beastie for just any old Tom, Dick or Harry. ;)
Longy wrote: Good work anyway, and I can't wait to see this year's map if it's released, let alone next year's! ;)
That is something I have successfully blocked out of my concious mind, though sometimes in my deepest nightmares the thought of TT Map 2013 does haunt me.  :evil:
Edwardo..... move me!
Big Dave

From what I can remember from TT@10 and a few previous talks, the map is a fairly complex bit of work and the original map was created by someone who no longer uses the forum much. As a result the team are left with a mashup of bits and no one to really sort it out properly. Squiggles does an excellent job of keeping it up-to-date as best as he can and it does still look really good. The team did approach a forum member to redraw them a map, but talks fell through. I sure the team will come up with something soon. :)
Blizzard

Would it be in anyway possible to change the border round the map. The stretched canvas type thing. In my oppinion I think it looks terrible! The map itsself & sub terra/ice age either dide is fantastic, its just that awful canvas. Also the acorn thing is a little tacky aswell, I dont really think the ttf header above the map is neccessery realy either, pluss the less stuff around the map, the more ephasis on the map itsself which is brilliant!

I think something a little more clean-cut would suffice, maybe in an "SW7/X-Sector" theme would work better. Maybe by simply having the map a perfect square, surrounded by caution lines. The links to Ice age & Sub - Terra could go either above or below where the theader currently is.

Excuse my bad computer graphic skills, but heres something I whipped up in paint. Just afew ideas:

Nut sure about the top bit, but if it were to be done properly you could probably use some proper textures for the caution lines & metal (which Ive done in grey)

Just thought I'd through some ideas in!

:D

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.
Bote

At the moment it's probably a little early for us to start shouting about SW7 on the map on the homepage while Ice Age and Sub-Terra are still so new, and the focus of the season. When the larger SW7 updates begin to roll in and the attention around Ice Age and Sub-Terra has died down the map will no doubt see some changes made to fit the new attraction (Much like was done when Th13teen was under construction) :)

Personally I think the canvas is a nice touch. It's a nice way of fitting the map in with the new attractions, and makes it much more unique than a plain old square map. As for the TowersTimes logo on it, it's another way of making the map our own.

The map displayed above the news is admittedly a little small and cramped, but the home page would look a little silly with a great big map slapped across half of it :P There is a link in the map which can be clicked to view a larger, unthemed map which may visitors will find more useful if they are wanting to use it as a park guide.

I know Squiggles puts an awful lot of his free time into working on the map, and he does a brilliant job. As him and others have pointed out the original creator of the TT map is no longer on the forums, but given what we have I feel it works well within it's limitations :)