Why is the whole of X-Sector closed?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Louised237

How could he of accidently got there tho? I saw him n it was at least a 10 foot fence? Strange?
djtruefitt

I find it odd that there isnt some kind of CCTV around the enterance/exit of the hole just incase anything like this happened, or if something else was to fall in the hole. If like people have said on here, it took quite some time for anyone to stop the ride or for security to arrive.

Does anyone know if anything like this has happened with Oblivion before?
roary01

Surely with todays H&S laws they have to keep the ride Closed until it has been passed off as safe again??
it is actuall quite a serious incident when someone has managed to enter oblivions tunnel when the ride is operating???
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

It's upsetting that a attempted suicide would happen in a family theme park in such grim circumstances, but I cannot understand how nobody noticed. I'm sure we will have cameras on the Fried Chicken Co./Rehydrator building now. Was the ride closed for the rest of the day then? And does anyone know if he get airlifted to hospital.

It's surprising that this hasn't happened before as it seems easy enough to climb over and some arrogant person could of already done it.

Not a good week for Merlin! :P
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
oldgitBEN

goodness me! how awful!

The person is very lucky to be alive, how serious this could have been is catastrophic think of the people on the trains too and the speed / force of the cars - it doesnt bare thinking about.
DiogoJ42

You have to be a special kind of stoopid to do that. Would have served him right if he did get splatted. :roll:
starbugger1303

It's been very eventful so far this season hasn't it...

2 park evacuations, 1 bomb scare and a potential attempted suicide.
LordOfDarkness

Theres camera's all around the ride but im pretty sure they wouldn't of been prepared to scan for a man in a hole every second. There's a direct line from the merge point to the rid op's desk so thats the only way you could stop it.

Bit selfish though if it was a suicide attempt, Why put other people at risk and threaten their safety?
[align=center]Image

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport [/align]
James

Can I remind everyone to keep on topic and think before posting. Some posts in here could be taken in an insultive way.  :)
roary01 wrote: Surely with todays H&S laws they have to keep the ride Closed until it has been passed off as safe again??
it is actuall quite a serious incident when someone has managed to enter oblivions tunnel when the ride is operating???
Well by the looks of it the ride will reopen tomorrow. It's not the ride that has caused the incident here, it's the person involved. The area around either side of the tunnel is well cordoned off from the public. Clearly some willingness had caused the person involved (for what ever reason, whether it be attempted suicide, a stupid joke or involving alcohol/drugs) to pass the restricted areas.

I would guess the investigation will look into as to why this man got past these restricted areas and why (by the looks of it) staff did not react as quickly as they did.
nemesis_egg

We saw him trying to get over the fence and it was not difficult!! Anyone determined could easily have done it. When the security guards finally showed up they did not even have a key to the fence and had to climb over themselves. No mater what he was trying to do the security was awful, the staff did not even seem to believe us at first. Luckily some other people also saw it and verified what we were trying to tell them!!
Its just good he was not injured because it would have been impossible for any paramedic to get down there!! Especially with no key to the gate!!
MatthewR1990

James wrote: Can I remind everyone to keep on topic and think before posting. Some posts in here could be taken in an insultive way.  :)
roary01 wrote: Surely with todays H&S laws they have to keep the ride Closed until it has been passed off as safe again??
Well by the looks of it the ride will reopen tomorrow. It's not the ride that has caused the incident here, it's the person involved. The area around either side of the tunnel is well cordoned off from the public. Clearly some willingness had caused the person involved (for what ever reason, whether it be attempted suicide, a stupid joke or involving alcohol/drugs) to pass the restricted areas.

I would guess the investigation will look into as to why this man got past these restricted areas and why (by the looks of it) staff did not react as quickly as they did.
They will also look into new fencing to stop those who happen to be in the wrong frame of mind (for whatever reason)  actually getting into the tunnel, Even if they do try. Things like higher fences, barbed wire, lubrication on the gates etc. The list goes on.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
nemesis_egg

I just want to point out that one of the ride staff (a supervisor??) was really great and seemed to do everything he could. Security and Safety very bad, very worrying!!!
Mi-Nigle

Matthewr1990 wrote:They will also look into new fencing to stop those who happen to be in the wrong frame of mind (for whatever reason)  actually getting into the tunnel, Even if they do try. Things like higher fences, barbed wire, lubrication on the gates etc. The list goes on.
I always think it's a shame when precautions like this are taken but I don't think they will be installed in this instance. AFAIK this is the first incident in 14 years? Hardly a warrant for prison grade fencing.
MatthewR1990

Mi-Nigle wrote:
Matthewr1990 wrote:They will also look into new fencing to stop those who happen to be in the wrong frame of mind (for whatever reason)  actually getting into the tunnel, Even if they do try. Things like higher fences, barbed wire, lubrication on the gates etc. The list goes on.
I always think it's a shame when precautions like this are taken but I don't think they will be installed in this instance. AFAIK this is the first incident in 14 years? Hardly a warrant for prison grade fencing.
You ever heard of the health and safety standards this ridiculous country has? Your not allowed to play conkers without gloves and goggles... GOGGLES!
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
roary01

Matthewr1990 wrote:
Mi-Nigle wrote:
You ever heard of the health and safety standards this ridiculous country has? Your not allowed to play conkers without gloves and goggles... GOGGLES!
Do think matthew kinda has a point here, i seem to remember when cloud cuckoo land opened a stupid kid got stuck in one of the tubes...
Merlins answer.. cut the tops off and replace with new covers with grills so no one can mess around again..

In terms of Oblivion i doubt we will see major changes to fencing.. however there may be new precautions and that behind the scenes and maybe new fencing around the pond area...
Tom G

This is a freak incident, they cannot realistically be expect to be prepared for it. It is no different to someone climbing over the side of Battle Galleons. The safety measures in place will be deemed as reasonable. Deliberate attempt to defy safety barriers does not mean something is dangerous.

I also find it unacceptable to slag off this person until we know more. It seems likely they he will have some mental illness or disorder, in which case why wasn't he adequately supervised?
MattH

I find it difficult to blame the staff on this situation, yeah, they may not have believed at first, but don't you think that anyone could say "Someone has gone into the hole" on any given day for a joke, and it is terribly difficult to climb into the hole to check unless the ride is off. I'm glad the guy is ok, and I await the findings of the investigation as to why it happened, also, I can see some new fencing going up, as already suggested, as it seems that it is easier to climb into the hole than first thought.
nemesis_egg

Yeah he had no problem getting into the Oblivion Hole at all, anyone could have done it.
he could have been doing anything down there whilst the other cars were going through, it doesnt bear thingking about!!!!
i seriously thought they were going to bring out a dead body, it was horrible
MattH

Really, all I can say is that staff acted as professional as possible, blame cannot be shifted to them, or the park as a whole, if anything, the blame has to be regrettably passed to the person that climbed in, and if anything happened, the park could not really be blamed, as all security issues such as this have been pushed to their max, sadly, it seems the max isn't enough and it will be acted on accordingly and swiftly, there is word that Oblivion and X-Sector WILL be open tomorrow, so I'm considering what action has been taken while the area has been closed off to public eyes.
aru

I don't think we should be pointing the blame at AT or the fence. The ride has been open for 14 years and this has never happened.

If someone wants to do something, no matter how great the fence, they will do it. It could happen anywhere on the park, Nemesis, Air - anywhere!

As for the security, they will have never dealt with something like this before so I would cut them some slack. The ride staff are much more familiar with the rides and safety systems etc - glad they handled it well.