The Future of Gloomy Wood- Upgrades Ideas

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
CoasterCrazyChris

The point that I was making was that the type of trees in Gloomy Wood do not enhance the theme much.

They are too cute and fluffy looking, whereas they should be menacing with skeletal branches.

:)
BigAl

Go back in Winter? :P
CoasterCrazyChris

BigAl wrote: Go back in Winter? :P
Ahem....they don't shed their leaves? :P
Pricey ;)

If you think logically, a swinging family coaster like Vampire would fit really well in the are with only a few trees having to be removed, the entrance coold be along the Haunted Hollow or something, only a few trees would have to be cut down excluding the station/queueline area and im sure after time just like most other coasters at Alton, the trees will grow back around the coaster and keep the Gloomy Wood feel to the area.
BigAl

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
Well a couple do. I can't really remember, I don't pay much attention to the amounts of leaves left on the trees in Gloomy Wood. :P
CoasterCrazyChris

They are unlikely to ever build a swinging coaster because that would be copying Chessington.

"Nestled in a lonely dell surrounded by skeletal trees" - was the line they used to promote the Haunted House originally.

The idea was the ride would be in isolation to really enhance the theme. They never wanted it to be joined by other rides.
BigAl

I'd normally agree, but Thorpe got a B&M inverted when Alton already had an amazing, well-established one. But I do agree that they probably won't get one.

A new ride could accommodate that tale. Let's say it's a swinging coaster themed to a ghost, well it could be a spirit that has escaped from the Haunted House and is now terrorising the surrounding area?

CoasterCrazyChris

BigAl wrote:
CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
Well a couple do. I can't really remember, I don't pay much attention to the amounts of leaves left on the trees in Gloomy Wood. :P
Neither do I - but it's pretty obvious when the whole park is planted with the same species.
BigAl

Well Air is always surrounded by lush-green vegetation in the Summer and it looks fantastic, whereas it isn't in the Winter, so there is a definite mixture of trees.

But this is for another topic really. The Future of Alton's Trees? :P
Themeparksandy1981

What the point in getting a family coaster for gloomy wood when the runaway train is next door.
BigAl

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: What the point in getting a family coaster for gloomy wood when the runaway train is next door.
There isn't really, but there's no harm in asking. :P

And besides that. a coaster here would offer a completely different experience.

Here's the original plan for the Broomstick coaster:

Full sized.

There's deffinitley space for a ride here, should they ever choose to put one here. :)
Kenzie2012

The whole area, pre Haunted hollow, was created to bridge the gap between Katanga Canyon and FV. It does this extremely well and breaks up what would be a looooong walk from 1 to the other.
The Haunted House fills the parks Quota for that type of attraction.

I agree that nothing else should be added to the area, anything that meant the loss of a mass of trees shouldn't EVER be suggested.... Something minimal would help fill the void though.

The perfect solution would be a slightly themed version of the Bat Flyer that LWV removed in 2002. The track intertwined through the trees, it was well hidden and the station - well there was basically no station.
The throughput was terrible, but this would be a small investment to fill space and add value to the area.
Last edited by Kenzie2012 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Themeparksandy1981

Off topic but what was the balloon ride listed on that plan?
Kenzie2012

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: Off topic but what was the balloon ride listed on that plan?

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/plans/balloon.htm
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote:
Ritadz wrote: So basically you want the park to become Six Flags UK?
No. But those parks are littered with coasters. The woodland is good but if you look at my original topic starting post, you'll see that I think Gloomy Wood should be thrills and family. I'm all in for eco-friendly but do we really have to be theme park hippy and 'protect the trees!! :D'
It's not us being picky about the trees by te way it's the councils and the woodland protection society's who wouldn't allow it.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Ritadz

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: What the point in getting a family coaster for gloomy wood when the runaway train is next door.
Well that's just like saying what's the point in SW7 being a thrill coaster if Oblivion is next door? :P

I can't see them getting planning permission for a coaster being approved over Haunted Hollow and the lake nearby, but maybe if they removed The Flume they could utilise some of it's site for a coaster.
CoasterCrazyChris

Ritadz wrote:
Well that's just like saying what's the point in SW7 being a thrill coaster if Oblivion is next door? :P

I can't see them getting planning permission for a coaster being approved over Haunted Hollow and the lake nearby, but maybe if they removed The Flume they could utilise some of it's site for a coaster.
In an ideal world they would build each thrill coaster in its own area. But as the park don't have the luxury of space they unfortunately have to share.

Even John Wardley said it wasn't ideal they had to build Air right next to Nemesis.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Ritadz wrote: Well that's just like saying what's the point in SW7 being a thrill coaster if Oblivion is next door? :P
It's because Towers like to cram all of their thrills into one place. If you look, X-Sector, FV and Dark 'Forest' are the only areas with any thrills.

Putting a family coaster in Gloomy Woood would make the area MORE POPULAR, the thing that I tried to get through in this topic. Plus, I will stop everyone crying about Beastie being SBNO.
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
mrbrightside

They don't cram all their thrills into one place just because they feel like it... They do it because they don't have a lot of choice in terms of where rides can actually be built!

Adding a family coaster in an area already used for coasters (e.g. replacing the beastie site with a new family coaster) would be a far better option than trying to cram one into gloomy wood.
ImageImage
Ryan.

Slightly off topic but has anyone else noticed Dark Forest and Gloomy Wood are just two different ways of saying the same thing?
Last edited by Ryan. on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.