Alton Towers Resort Future Discussion

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
ROYJESS

Justin wrote:Alton has its faults, but I am a firm believer it is actually what you make of each visit. People are quick to complain, but when you take a step back, it is a beautiful park with some great attractions.

I think some areas need work to bring them up to standard, but hopefully TLC will continue to showcase improvements/general maintenance.
Fully agree, the only things that let the park down for me this season was the budget cuts which affected ride operations, ride put through and those awful staggered opening times.
Michelle

I really really hope that next season, Merlin realise that Alton need and deserve a bigger budget to operate things better.
I would hope that they have cut things back to the point where no more can be cut, and that they realise how much of an impact it is having on guest experience.
People want to come back to the park, it's felt busier than it has in years, but those people won't keep coming back if the park continues with its staggered openings and lack of investment in key areas.

I still love the park and have enjoyed this season, I wholeheartedly agree that it (like with a lot in life) is what you make of it, be realistic by all means but if you visit with a negative attitude all the time, you're going to ensure you have a poor day!
There is so much to enjoy in the park, especially for those who have the luxury of visiting several times a year, Scarefest improved (imo, the addition of the walkabout pirates etc was welcome) the Fiireworks were fantastic!
Now just keeping fingers crossed for next year. And maybe a flat or three in the not too distant future.
abigsmurf

Justin wrote:Alton has its faults, but I am a firm believer it is actually what you make of each visit. People are quick to complain, but when you take a step back, it is a beautiful park with some great attractions.

I think some areas need work to bring them up to standard, but hopefully TLC will continue to showcase improvements/general maintenance.
My problem with the cutbacks is that it hurts the atmosphere and I love the atmosphere of theme parks almost as much as the rides.

It's especially bad off peak. Too many shuttered/boarded up food/snack outlets, too many long paths that are overly quiet and lacking in atmosphere. Not to mention the "the rides are only open for 6 hours?!?" downer that greets people when they enter.

People who can't take rollercoasters are waiting in areas with closed outlets and rundown arcades for long periods with few options of things they can do to fill the time. No quick flat rides, few nice cafes to sit in etc.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

With no real details at the moment, this can just go here in the general future topic for the time being, but, as posted on TowersTimes Facebook, Alton Towers have submitted an application for "the installation of 2 No. of Junior Drop Tower rides with an associated queue line".

DerpyQuark

This is interesting. I think this will go in the new AT Dungeons, but who knows at this point in time.
Nearly every Dungeons in existence has a drop tower-style ride, so I could be right about them going in the Dungeons.

AltonOperator

Unlikely, but it could be a 'hanging' themed ride outside of the dungeons that is still branded dungeons to help bring the area together. But yeah, very unlikely
Thanks Jack
Swarm Chris

Only thing that has me questioning whether this is directly Dungeons related, is the addition of an associated queue line. If it's part of the Dungeons, then it wouldn't normally have a separate queue line. Whilst if the planning application is a bundle of things for the Dungeons, then surely the queue infrastructure would already be there from Charlie?

Chances are is Dungeons related, unless they've bought two new Frog Hoppers, which is the only other thing I've known Merlin to have a pair of at a park.
DerpyQuark

What I was thinking is that they'll be in the Dungeons. One of them could run all the time, but they would run both of them at peak times. They could share the same queue line because I've seen this idea on The Simpsons Ride at Universal Studios Florida. This is because there are multiple simulators sharing the same queue line and ride experience. However, I could be wrong.
Bert

The fact that these drop towers have their own queue and the fact the planning application does not feature any new buildings/building modifications infers this is an outside addition and the mention of ‘junior’ drop towers implies that this has nothing to do with The Dungeons.

Could it be something like Larson/SBF/Zamperla mini drop towers or something along those lines? I mean small flats aimed at the 8-12 age range would help fill a gap in the lineup.
[Insert Signature Here]
Coaster Chall

Would they take Nemesis Sub Terra ride system into the dungeons and those junior towers in CCL to fill the lineup and replace Frog Hopper. Like an upgrade
So this could mean that Frog Hopper will leave the park
DerpyQuark

If they are a separate ride, that would be great! The park needs more flat rides, so this could be a brilliant addition to the park! They might be junior drop towers, but they are still flat rides nonetheless. I don’t think they’ll go in Cbeebies Land, that area of the park has plenty of flat rides. I think they might go in either Forbidden Valley (Former site of Ripsaw), X Sector (Former site of Submission) Dark Forest (anywhere to be honest), or possibly in Cloud Cuckoo Land, preferably as a ride to complement the new Dungeons. 

I know that AltonOperator said that last theory, but it could happen.
PhNx Survivor

I don’t think Junior Drop Towers would really fit into Forbidden Valley or X Sector.. too different in ride types, and thrill factor. As FV and XS are known to be thrill areas.. if anything we could see one tower in CBeebies Land, and one tower to replace the current frog hopper.

I strongly think that a drop tower in The Dungeons will not happen, I believe The Dungeons will utilise the current water ride in the old Charlie site.

I think when people were asking for more flat rides, I don’t think anyone was expecting this :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Coaster Chall

I was expecting a flat ride like a gyro swing or even a new version of the top spin. Why was Ripsaw removed? I know it's TLC but it's a great ride. No one hated it as far as I know and it isn't a ride that was the pain of maintenance costs
Justin

It is a strange one. I personally have a feeling they will be used in The Dungeons as other Dungeon attractions tend to have a double sided operation, with two drop towers back to back and a control booth to the side. Apart from the London one, these tend to be a similar size to junior towers.

With regards to the queue lines, then these will be small, if it is the case of these going in The Dungeons. They tend give each batch the choice of escaping or riding, therefore they may have a queue to cope with the timings before guests exit the attraction. It will act as a buffer, should any issues arise.
lapbar_bourne

I think that the drop towers could be placed in Adventure Land near Spinball as that area of the park has literally no atmosphere, then maybe by 2021 Spinball might be removed and that area could be an extension to CBeebies Land.
Coaster Chall

Whatever this is...is this pretty much the end of Frog Hopper?
abigsmurf

Man, if having a ride replaced by a paid attraction isn't a good look, locking a much needed flatride inside it is even worse. Such a massive risk of a PR disaster when the park needs any goodwill it can get.
Coaster Chall

Yeah that's true.
GregH94

With it being January, the line up for this years’ Early Ride Time is due to be announced in the coming weeks, with it running up until 4th October this year according to AT’s website. 

My predictions? I’m thinking 2-3 of the Big 7, with Wicker Man’s reliability having improved compared to when it first opened, I wouldn’t be surprised if it stayed part of ERT for 2019, along with Oblivion and possibly the re-addition of Nemesis (or a combination of any two out of those three if they stick with the two big coaster limit). 

However, like Duel opening for Christmas, it could turn out to be something totally different - there were a few days last season when Smiler opened early at 9.45 for example, so it also wouldn’t surprise me if it turned out to be Smiler and Wicker Man. 

What would you like to see? 
Stan.H

I'm thinking Wicker Man, Oblivion, The Smiler & select rides from CBeebies Land and/or possibly Spinball Whizzer for next years line-up.

Personally, I want Wicker Man just so it gives a chance to get more rides on it.